News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Church-Wellesley Village

What a shame. Bulldog makes a mean latte, but one of the other reasons I loved going there was because of their killer patio on Granby. It's so charming, especially during the fall.

Here's to hoping the move to Gerrard will be a big success to them. Maybe will attract some Ryerson students?

What a shame. Bulldog makes a mean latte, but one of the other reasons I loved going there was because of their killer patio on Granby. It's so charming, especially during the fall.

Here's to hoping the move to Gerrard will be a big success to them. Maybe will attract some Ryerson students?

I think they already have a decent Ryerson clientele in the old location.

AoD

Does anyone know where councilor Kristyn Wong Tam actually lives? She doesn't live in Ward 27, the ward she represents. Should a city councilor live in the ward they rep? Or is she simply dropping in for photo-ops and press conferences and mural painting, while trying to ascend to new political heights?

Does anyone know where councilor Kristyn Wong Tam actually lives? She doesn't live in Ward 27, the ward she represents. Should a city councilor live in the ward they rep? Or is she simply dropping in for photo-ops and press conferences and mural painting, while trying to ascend to new political heights?

Did you get that flyer from the councillor in the mail too?

I've never understood why some people think it's some egregious crime for a councillor not to live in the ward. Some of our best councillors over the years have lived on the allegedly wrong side of a boundary. One gets to know a ward by canvassing door to door, attending public meetings and events, and talking to the residents. Where they sleep at night doesn't matter nearly as much. We all have neighbours who are clueless about the issues in the ward, which is pretty plain evidence that the location of one's home has little to do with either knowledge of or commitment to the ward.

When did she say or indicate that she wants to ascend to new political heights? She's hoping to affect positive changes in Ward 27 (as a resident of this Ward, so far so good IMO) and has publicly stated that she only has an interest to serve two terms of Council.

I've never understood why some people think it's some egregious crime for a councillor not to live in the ward. Some of our best councillors over the years have lived on the allegedly wrong side of a boundary. One gets to know a ward by canvassing door to door, attending public meetings and events, and talking to the residents. Where they sleep at night doesn't matter nearly as much. We all have neighbours who are clueless about the issues in the ward, which is pretty plain evidence that the location of one's home has little to do with either knowledge of or commitment to the ward.

Councilors who do not live in the ward they represent don't have to live with the consequences of their decisions.

When they vote, they may be biased toward the ward they live in and not the ward they represent.

How does it benefit the community to have a non-resident represent them at city hall?

On the upside, being a non-resident means KWT can't vote for herself.

Councilors who do not live in the ward they represent don't have to live with the consequences of their decisions.

When they vote, they may be biased toward the ward they live in and not the ward they represent.

How does it benefit the community to have a non-resident represent them at city hall?

That's nonsense. Of course they have to live with the consequences - the voters will pass judgment. These accusations of bias are just bizarre, and assuming that most Council votes are some ward vs. ward showdown is simply not accurate. Communities benefit from having hardworking Councillors who represent them well, who wear out shoes going door to door, and who attend all the endless meetings and events evenings and weekends, in order to meet and listen to their constituents. That's earned, not something that comes with where one's mail gets delivered.

In any event, I don't follow Ward 27 very closely, but if the only gripe that you have against KWT is that she is a "non-resident", then she must be doing an awesome job.

My Councillor, Pam McConnell (Ward 28), DOES live in her Ward but if she lived across the street in Ward 27or over the river in Ward 30 I doubt it would change her excellent rapport with her Ward and its needs.

KWT has owned a business and has been involved with community events in that area for many years. This is the Gay Village and many gay people consider it a second home, so it's not like any other neighbourhood. I'm sure KWT feels a strong connection to the neighbourhood, as many other gay people do, and will maintain interest, even when she leaves office. You don't have to live there, to care about the area. I don't live in the Village but I spend just as much time there, as I do my own neighbourhood. I also care very much about what happens there.

That's nonsense. Of course they have to live with the consequences - the voters will pass judgment. These accusations of bias are just bizarre, and assuming that most Council votes are some ward vs. ward showdown is simply not accurate. Communities benefit from having hardworking Councillors who represent them well, who wear out shoes going door to door, and who attend all the endless meetings and events evenings and weekends, in order to meet and listen to their constituents. That's earned, not something that comes with where one's mail gets delivered.

In any event, I don't follow Ward 27 very closely, but if the only gripe that you have against KWT is that she is a "non-resident", then she must be doing an awesome job.

Does KWT have to live with the dreadful murals she approved around the Village? Or the street markers? No. She simply goes home to her condo on the west side and forgets about the entire dreadful mess.

Last time I saw her - at a presser for the newly renamed Cawthra Park - she was wearing a pair of Alligator Loafers fresh from the alligators hide! I didn't get the impression her shoes were worn out in the least.

At least she takes her public image seriously!

Does KWT have to live with the dreadful murals she approved around the Village? Or the street markers? No. She simply goes home to her condo on the west side and forgets about the entire dreadful mess.

Last time I saw her - at a presser for the newly renamed Cawthra Park - she was wearing a pair of Alligator Loafers fresh from the alligators hide! I didn't get the impression her shoes were worn out in the least.

At least she takes her public image seriously!

You appear to be completely missing the point, especially since you think that the reference to worn out shoes was a literal reference to every pair a politician owns. Honestly. And given her job, she probably sees those murals and street markers more often than the majority of Ward 27 residents.

It's okay if you don't like KWT, but you seem to have latched onto the most vacuous rationale possible for not liking her.

Back