News   Jul 22, 2024
 87     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 947     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 4K     7 

Church-Wellesley Village

It seems a bit late to be starting now with all the rainbow pylons, murals and whatnot. Kind of like planting a garden in late August.

So do nothing then right?
Too bad I wasted my time at a meeting tonight on the final design consultation to improve Cawthra Square Park.

Hopefully they are going for something a bit more forward looking, instead of the ye olde gay village look (see Islington Village for the str8 vwesion)

AoD

You guys are hard to please. I like these things. I just think there should be more of them.

Further, I don't get the consternation about the hyphen Church-Wellesley. It's like Bloor-Yonge or Sheppard-Yonge. It's hardly without precedent. Although I'd've been fine with "Gay Village".

Could the poles have been better? Maybe. I don't know why multiple designs weren't presented and then voted on. But I'm still fine with what we got.

And the concept of a gay village is not passé, at least not if gay youth have anything to say about it. Whenever I go to the village I see tons of them. Please tell them that the gay village is an anachronism.

Especially with all the gay bashings happening lately. No, the gay village still needs to exist. It's not a ghetto, we go there when we want to.

I rather like them. They're like constructivism a-go-go.

Now we just need to narrow the street between Carlton and Gloucester to one lane each direction, plant mature huge trees along the newly expanded sidewalks holding newly expanded patios...put down colourful paving brick (yellow brick? [groan])...fill in the parking lots (and replace some of the more rotten buildings) with kickass, gorgeous new clubs and retail.

If Ryerson is going to build a new gateway / transition building that will also function as an sight and lead-in to the neighbourhood, I think Will Alsop is our guy. Lots of colour, please! And a cheeky landmark besides!

Last edited:
I wonder if the Barn has been sold - it got a fresh coat of paint and on my way home I've noticed filming in the interior.

Since the parking company that owns the abutting lot has been selling off its holdings in the past few years, I wonder if anything will become of this corner (though I would prefer it to not be a third condo on the corner).

Oh, it will be a condo. Probably 355 or 365 Church, phase 2. Only time until someone buys the Guu Izakaya/Mehran property for the same prupose as well.

The Barn might get kept as a funky facade as part of that process but that is about it.

I wonder if the Barn has been sold - it got a fresh coat of paint and on my way home I've noticed filming in the interior.

Since the parking company that owns the abutting lot has been selling off its holdings in the past few years, I wonder if anything will become of this corner (though I would prefer it to not be a third condo on the corner).
Probably someone is going to re-attempt at making it successful. Little do they know that some paint and a name change is not going to make this place work.

It looks like they're finally installing traffic lights at Homewood & Wellesley. I asked KWT about this last year. Sitting outside the Red Rocket Coffee Shop I used to see lots of parents and kids jaywalking to get to Lady of Lourdes school on Homewood.

It looks like they're finally installing traffic lights at Homewood & Wellesley. I asked KWT about this last year. Sitting outside the Red Rocket Coffee Shop I used to see lots of parents and kids jaywalking to get to Lady of Lourdes school on Homewood.

Hurrah! It was silly not to have any lights there for so long. As soon as Verve went up there should've been traffic lights.

Looks like the newly partitioned Super Freshmart hasn't been leased out yet so not Poutini's =p

Back