News   Jul 22, 2024
 212     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 987     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 4.2K     7 

Church-Wellesley Village

That would be really nice to have a smokes. I sure would like to see an RBC in teh area too, now that the one at YOnge and Grenville is soon to close with the 460 Yonge project.

Well, if it's suppose to be smack in the middle of the village; there's the old Pizza Nova space, the one next to Hero's, the old Stag Shop?

Probably someone is going to re-attempt at making it successful. Little do they know that some paint and a name change is not going to make this place work.
Could it be possible the 365 Condos is going to use The Barn as their sales centre? Perhaps they'll hand out poppers as a bonus gift?

I haven't heard that the property was sold. I suspect that the parking lot across the street might be co-opted for that purpose though, since it is owned by the same company that sold the 365 land to the developer.

Super Freshmart reopened today. They were offering 15% off grocery prices and free coffee. From what I saw prices still are high even compared with Loblaws so I don't know what the point is of reopening. They have added a Sushi bar (do people crave Sushi after a night of drinkng?).

In other Church Street news I noticed that the Church Street Diner is no more. Seems to be under new ownership and is now the "Church Bistro". Anyone try this new place? The old Church Street Bistro had great food and really friendly staff. Surprised to see this change.

Also I noticed that the "La Turque" Shawarma place had a yellow "Conditional Pass" with every food safety violation noted (e.g. lack of proper pest control, hand-washing, etc). If this place was not already on my list of places I refuse to eat at it would be now.

Also I noticed that the "La Turque" Shawarma place had a yellow "Conditional Pass" with every food safety violation noted (e.g. lack of proper pest control, hand-washing, etc). If this place was not already on my list of places I refuse to eat at it would be now.

I go there once or twice a month, egad! It got a great write up in NOW a few years back and I remember it said when you see taxis parked outside a Shawarma place you know it's good, and it is. Too bad.

I would never trust a place that taxi drivers frequent actually. Most taxi drivers I've seen in Toronto are not people I would take dining recommendations from. Just my opinion anyway.

I go there once or twice a month, egad! It got a great write up in NOW a few years back and I remember it said when you see taxis parked outside a Shawarma place you know it's good, and it is. Too bad.

Yeah, La Turque got a great write up a few years ago, the only problem is, that new owners have taken over a few months ago and now they have changed the way they make Shawarmas. I used to go there once a week and a while back, I noticed that the taste had changed. When I asked the counter guy, he told me that the business was bought by new owners, so I watched more closely how they made the Shawarma and I realized that the ingredients and sauces were different. La Turque used to put in 8 different ingredients and 4 different sauces. (yes, I counted lol) They also used to cut the chicken fresh off the spit and then cook it on the grill. They don't do that anymore. Now what they do, is load it up with iceburg lettuce, and only 3 sauces. I just don't like the taste now. This has been my favourite Shawarma in Toronto for the last 3 years and now I need to find a new Shawarma place. I'm not too happy about that but I guess nothing stays the same forever.

Last edited:
Super Freshmart reopened today. They were offering 15% off grocery prices and free coffee. From what I saw prices still are high even compared with Loblaws so I don't know what the point is of reopening. They have added a Sushi bar (do people crave Sushi after a night of drinkng?).

Loblaws isn't open 24 hours per day like Super Freshmart. But even during the day, it's a lot faster to pick up a carton of milk from Super Freshmart than brave the crowds at Loblaws. I checked out the smaller store yesterday and it's not fully stocked yet, but prior to the reno, they had some interesting items that you can't get at a chain like Loblaws, such as those Zara's lentil burger patties and sandwiches. I hope they still carry them.

Not sure if anyone noticed - but the cowboy mural on the Barn was painted over with black paint over the weekend. I loved that mural, it was so retro.

Here's a pic from Sunday...
Barn.jpg

Attachments

• Barn.jpg
    Barn.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
If Superfresh Mart was smart they would keep it 'under-stocked' as it is now. Walking by it looked cleaner, less cluttered and easier to manoeuvre.

Back