News   Aug 14, 2024
 204     0 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 501     0 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 742     1 

Church-Wellesley Village

Chipolte would go down a storm. The clientele for the Yonge/Dundas location is 50% gay (if not more). Even when visiting my friends in New York, the Chipoltes there were packed with qweens.

Stag Shop and PRIAPE? Do people still shop there? Lol.

Chipolte would go down a storm. The clientele for the Yonge/Dundas location is 50% gay (if not more). Even when visiting my friends in New York, the Chipoltes there were packed with qweens.

Stag Shop and PRIAPE? Do people still shop there? Lol.

Where do YOU get your pig-tailed butt-plugs?

The whole thing is shabby and tired. Especially the 70's buildings which house Gingers, Rexall, Steamworks, David's Tea, Stag etc. What a terrible eyesore. These monsters could only have been the approval work of the OMB. It's time to rethink and redesign Church Street before it sinks any lower.

Don't you think there are other parts of downtown Toronto, more in need of a makeover and a clean up? I can think of quite a few that make The Village look upscale by comparison. Let's see, how about Dundas East, George Street, Sherbourne, Chinatown, Queen West, Dundas West, Kensington Market, The East Danforth, St. Jamestown, Chinatown East, oh my god, I'm just getting started, lol, but you get the point. (not to mention most of Scarborough & Etobicoke - take a walk down Weston Road) So, with all the areas in Toronto that are in much worse shape than Church Street, why is your criticism focused only there? Is there some reason why the Village is the focus all your scorn, when there are clearly, areas in much greater need of rejuvenation?

Church Street sink any lower? (OY VAY) Talk about a drama queen! PLEASE!

Last edited:
cwmarkers.jpg

I hate to be picky but little things like this kinda bug me. Do you find the layout of the 'Church-Wellesley Village' really sloppy? They don't really need the hyphen there and they should've centre the word Village on the bottom line.

Don't you think there are other parts of downtown Toronto, more in need of a makeover and a clean up? I can think of quite a few that make The Village look upscale by comparison. Let's see, how about Dundas East, George Street, Sherbourne, Chinatown, Queen West, Dundas West, Kensington Market, The East Danforth, St. Jamestown, Chinatown East, oh my god, I'm just getting started, lol, but you get the point. (not to mention most of Scarborough & Etobicoke - take a walk down Weston Road) So, with all the areas in Toronto that are in much worse shape than Church Street, why is your criticism focused only there? Is there some reason why the Village is the focus all your scorn, when there are clearly, areas in much greater need of rejuvenation?

I'd strongly disagree with a few noted above. Kensington Market, Chinatowns and Queen West/West Queen West are wonderful, exciting and vibrant neighbourhoods.

I would rather have that pole read "The Gay Village" but I still think it looks pretty good.

The sign correctly identifies the neighbourhood as the Church Wellesley Village, although it is well known as the "Gay Village", that's actually rather exclusionary when you think about it.

I hate to be picky but little things like this kinda bug me. Do you find the layout of the 'Church-Wellesley Village' really sloppy? They don't really need the hyphen there and they should've centre the word Village on the bottom line.

Terrific shot androiduk! It looks like it was designed to lean to the right (should probably have leaned to the left!). First time I've seen a hyphen used, though truth be told I've used one myself on occasion.

Gee. This thing is awful. Where do they find this stuff?

I think they look great, I'm looking forward to seeing them lit up.
If I had a complaint it would be that there are only two of them as opposed to four of them. I'd have liked to have seen one on each side of the street at both gateway points plus Wellesley Street appears to have been overlooked which is where a lot of visitors come from (especially the subway). I don't doubt that these markers were expensive and likely had to be done on a budget so it's very forgivable. Location-wise I'd have chosen Church & Gloucester, maybe even Isabella and Church & Wood St. at the other end, or perhaps even the north side of Carlton Street. When large events are held like the late summer thingie (whatever they call it these days, it started as the Fetish Fair) plus Pride and Halloween, those are generally the areas used when the streets are closed down for those events. I'm just being picky though, I'm really pleased with the design, and the materials used are designed to last.

Last edited:
I'd strongly disagree with a few noted above. Kensington Market, Chinatowns and Queen West/West Queen West are wonderful, exciting and vibrant neighbourhoods.

The sign correctly identifies the neighbourhood as the Church Wellesley Village, although it is well known as the "Gay Village", that's actually rather exclusionary when you think about it.

Terrific shot androiduk! It looks like it was designed to lean to the right (should probably have leaned to the left!). First time I've seen a hyphen used, though truth be told I've used one myself on occasion.

I think they look great, I'm looking forward to seeing them lit up.
If I had a complaint it would be that there are only two of them as opposed to four of them. I'd have liked to have seen one on each side of the street at both gateway points plus Wellesley Street appears to have been overlooked which is where a lot of visitors come from (especially the subway). I don't doubt that these markers were expensive and likely had to be done on a budget so it's very forgivable. Location-wise I'd have chosen Church & Gloucester, maybe even Isabella and Church & Wood St. at the other end, or perhaps even the north side of Carlton Street. When large events are held like the late summer thingie (whatever they call it these days, it started as the Fetish Fair) plus Pride and Halloween, those are generally the areas used when the streets are closed down for those events. I'm just being picky though, I'm really pleased with the design, and the materials used are designed to last.

They can call it whatever they want, it's still The Gay Village. There is no reason to even label it a village, as the ONLY reason it exists (and it's only distinctive characteristic) is because it's home to Toronto's gay community. In no other way is it a "village". It's named after the people who created it and it's about as exclusionary as Chinatown, Koreantown, Little Italy and Greektown are. (not to mention the Entertainment District, The Garment District, The CBD and every other specific district in the city. I don't see anything wrong with a name that reflects its history.

The font is ugly. The rainbow - windmill? is tacky.
If "lame" and "gay" made a venn diagram, these would be firmly located in the overlap area.

Have to agree - the pylon is horrid. Did they forget to mention it isn't the 70s/80s in the design brief? More Alexander Wood, less tacky junk please.

AoD

Back