News   Jun 21, 2024
 71     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 267     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 409     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

Church St family-friendly? There goes the neighbourhood. Mind, I don't want it to be a cesspool of debauchery and hedonism - except for Pride :eek:) - but, C'MON! It's the beginning of the end of the strip (which has been touch-and-go for a few years) if more 'family-friendly' places open.

Of course there are families in the neighbourhood, but this guy obviously doesn't understand where his business is nor the demographics. I'll bet money he'll be serving alcohol by July once he figures out that many people aren't making babies here. Well, maybe August, he's a little slow.

Smith Restaurant (in the former "Straight" space at Church & Monteith Sts.) was supposed to open June 10th but it looked like they didn't make it. Walking by today it looks like they are finally open. They have paper menus in a Now Magazine style type box out front. It's a somewhat limited menu with a reasonably priced brunch but dinner becomes a little more pricey. At a glance, it looks nice and intimate inside. I still miss the great, three level martini bar that used to be there.
They have a website, but it's not done yet: www.smithrestaurant.com

Interesting about Smith. Digging around on the website you find "This entry was written by straight". Is the same owner as Straight behind Smith?

EDIT: Further digging found that it is actually the same website with all of the old Straight content still there. The smithrestaurant.com domain just redirects to it.

Last edited:
I believe it's the same owners as Straight (along with Wish, 7 West, Black Skirt).

So that begs the question, why close Straight and go with this concept?

Everyone I have met who has been in the restaurant game talks about how it is very difficult to make a profit.
I always though Straight was successful. I only went twice myself and it was packed both times. They charged a cover and had a high markup on drinks.
Maybe they are hoping the Straight crowd will still come once the dinner patrons have cleared out?

Is this place occupying all three floors?

So that begs the question, why close Straight and go with this concept?

Everyone I have met who has been in the restaurant game talks about how it is very difficult to make a profit.
I always though Straight was successful. I only went twice myself and it was packed both times. They charged a cover and had a high markup on drinks.
Maybe they are hoping the Straight crowd will still come once the dinner patrons have cleared out?

Interesting questions. I wonder if it'll be like Byzantium or those other restos nearby (Fusion, Voglie (now Sugo), which serve food but turn into pubs/dance bars at night. Maybe the strictly bar thing wasn't generating enough profit for Straight? Having the restaurant lets the business make a profit both night and day. We'll see!

Glancing inside, it looks like the main level and the second floor are being used, not sure about the third.

Interesting questions. I wonder if it'll be like Byzantium or those other restos nearby (Fusion, Voglie (now Sugo), which serve food but turn into pubs/dance bars at night. Maybe the strictly bar thing wasn't generating enough profit for Straight? Having the restaurant lets the business make a profit both night and day. We'll see!

If I owned the place that's what I do, it seems to be a successful venture turning from restaurant to bar later at night and this space is very conducive to a cozy bar atmosphere. Also, remember that Straight was only open two nights a week.

Glancing inside, it looks like the main level and the second floor are being used, not sure about the third.

If I owned the place that's what I do, it seems to be a successful venture turning from restaurant to bar later at night and this space is very conducive to a cozy bar atmosphere. Also, remember that Straight was only open two nights a week.

If that's what it takes to keep a place successful, then it's good they're doing it. Makes sense to use an asset like a spot on Church St to it's fullest potential.

Quite disgusting. Instead of being there for his city, and celebrating with the city, he chooses to continue "family tradition" of going up north for Canada Day.
You're the Mayor now, you have responsibility to the city first.

I see on the news tonight that he won't even attend the Pride flag raising at City Hall. Barbara Hall, David Millar and even old Mel never missed any community events, there was barely a night when you wouldn't see them on the news at some event with 20 people or 500,000 people.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he at last year's Pride parade when he was campaigning?

... Now correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he at last year's Pride parade when he was campaigning?

i guess that was then and this is now.

he and his supporters wouldn't want him to look completely homophobic to the general public.
remember, just like God, Ford is inclusive of gays, just not the gay acts that make them gay :rolleyes:

Back