News   Jul 12, 2024
 794     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 719     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 304     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

Great idea posting the FB link Khris. I grabbed a few shots yesterday too. The two planters in front of Paul Kane house (2nd photo, across the street) are maintained by the co-op there -

Looks promising...

KWT is pleased to announce the launching of Public Studio’s most recent public artwork, Full Spectrum for World Pride, on June 14, 2014.

fullspectrum-640x431.jpg

Full Spectrum

Public mural launch at the corner of Church and Maitland

Saturday, June 14, 2014, 2 p.m.

Councillor Wong-Tam, Mr. Jason Fane and the Artists will be in attendance.

Public Studio’s public artwork Full Spectrum is a large-scale seventy-foot long three-dimensional wall mounted sculpture inaugurated on the occasion of World Pride 2014 in The Village, Toronto’s LGBT neighbourhood on Church Street.

Councillor Wong-Tam remarks, “The LGBTQ and 2-Spirited communities have historically leveraged the arts to capture significant moments, political expressions and complex emotional abstractions. Public Studio’s Full Spectrum has smartly re-interpreted the symbol of the now ubiquitous rainbow flag in a way that draws the viewer into deeper and greater thought. As a leader in LGBTQ rights, Toronto holds a special place, and in order to commemorate that, we are pleased to have such a significant public artwork from an internationally acclaimed artist duo.”

Full Spectrum is crafted locally from wood and offers 102 colours of the spectrum that goes far beyond the rainbow. The piece has multiple viewing angles with each angle representing an important aspect in Queer history. The spectrum represented on one side of the work, serves as a celebratory symbol of the dynamic range of the queer community in the city, while the reverse side, in a deep midnight blue with reflective elements, performs as a permanent vigil to commemorate all of our brothers and sisters who have struggled or who have been lost to AIDS over the years. When viewed from a third vantage point, these two moments collide, bringing the LGBT community together in both celebration and solidarity.

Gertrude Stein’s short story A Long Gay Book functions as a primary inspiration for the use of the spectrum with its enthusiastic premise of a permanent and infinite queer community. As World Pride 2014 marks the 102nd year of this text in print, Public Studio has selected 102 colours from the spectrum to include in their mural.

The sculpture is being mounted on the Maitland Street side of The Village Centre, which runs the entire block on Church Street to Wellesley Street, Toronto and is the leading commercial building in The Village. Full Spectrum is a sister project of the Church Street Mural Project and was generously commissioned by Jason Fane, a long-time supporter of the Church Street community.

Jason Fane, the president of The Village Centre said, “We were delighted to sponsor this fine sculpture that we believe will be an icon and meeting place in the neighbourhood. Special credit is due to Councillor Wong-Tam for instigating the mural project and to the artists Elle Flanders and Tamira Sawatzky for their superb and creative work.

Public Studio is the collaborative practice of Elle Flanders (artist, filmmaker and long-time human rights and queer community activist) and Tamira Sawatzky (artist and architect). They share their practice and their lives in partnership.

For more information about the launch or to interview the Artists, please contact:

Lili Huston-Herterich, Studio Manager for Public Studio, lili@publicstudio.ca

- 30 -

Attachments

• fullspectrum-640x431.jpg
    fullspectrum-640x431.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 731
Last edited:
I was in the village with some time to waste and a book, just wondering, is there any place to sit down here? I looked, and actually left for queens park because there was Nowhere to rest my butt on. Unless I'm wrong, that's really messed up. For a community with strong ties to cruising and looking, this is especially messed up.

I was in the village with some time to waste and a book, just wondering, is there any place to sit down here? I looked, and actually left for queens park because there was Nowhere to rest my butt on. Unless I'm wrong, that's really messed up. For a community with strong ties to cruising and looking, this is especially messed up.

Patios, the parks, steps of businesses at night when they're closed - that's about it. It is kinda' messed up but benches attract trouble at night, as seen last year with the parklettes & the Church/Alexander benches - and forget about any police presence.

Cawthra Park is really moving ahead well. Sod was laid today and most of the brickwork is done on the sidewalks in front of the park (north and south ends), in front of the 519 Community Centre and inside the parks. Light standards & the LED entrance light features have yet to go in, but that's not a big job. This is actually going to be ready before Pride.

I lived around this area as a kid, 20/25 years ago or so - I don't recall it being bad at night then, have things gotten worse over the years ?

I lived around this area as a kid, 20/25 years ago or so - I don't recall it being bad at night then, have things gotten worse over the years ?

See back to early April in this thread, around page 172, we had a few back 'n forth's about this issue. No need for a rehash. It's summer, be happy!

Seating is actually a health and safety issue for a growing portion of the population. It's ridiculous! I've never seen any sort of stats saying seating causes crime, and if were going to beleive Jane Jacobs, it could be quite the opposite. A lot of these people need to move back to oakville ASAP, the city is being ruined by fear mongering, and my legs hurt.

Seating is actually a health and safety issue for a growing portion of the population. It's ridiculous! I've never seen any sort of stats saying seating causes crime, and if were going to beleive Jane Jacobs, it could be quite the opposite. A lot of these people need to move back to oakville ASAP, the city is being ruined by fear mongering, and my legs hurt.

I think you make a valid point, and there are plenty of seniors in this area but preventing scofflaws from causing trouble takes precedence I suppose. I myself have early stage lung disease which causes my legs to give out after about 40 - 60 minutes of walking (or cycling), luckily I'm at a stage where I can simply lean up against a post for a few minutes to rest while my blood re-oxygenates. At some point down the road I'll need a place to sit down and rest too. Have you seen those things with the bumps (or, in Montreal, spikes) being installed to prevent street people from sleeping in known sleeping areas? Terrible.

How is it KTW can put up any specious " art " she wants in the village?

Ugh, here we go again. "She" didn't put them up. It was a collaborative process between several parties and building owners, employing and creating the works of local artists celebrating our neighbourhood's diversity.

How is it KTW can put up any specious " art " she wants in the village?

Why so much KWT hate on here? I don't agree with all of her politics, and some of her ideas don't turn out as expected like the original mural projects. Then again, with Barbara Hall Park and the rainbow crosswalks looking spectacular, she's taking the public's input quite well, she listens to the community and represents us quite well.

Park update today. The shorter light standards to illuminate the walkways are mostly installed, tall light standards are laying at the back of the park. Most sidewalk and park brick-work completed, just a few areas to be cut and laid. New benches were being installed late today. It's looking really good, hopefully the fence comes down by the weekend and we'll be able to enjoy the park for a week or so before Pride. All we need is some good weather!

Sidewalk in front of the parks (north & south sides) and the 519 Community Centre. The matching brick-work seamlessly leads into the south and north part of the parks.

North side of the park, Church St. side -

Back of the park (taller light standards on the ground) -

South side of the park, at Church Street -

Back