News   Jul 12, 2024
 821     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 743     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 313     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

I hope people don't lock their bikes up to those trees.

What ever happened to these? I remember these steel tree guards were common in around the 80's, or the 90's on young city trees. We need these back to give the trees more of a fighting chance. Because you know bikes will get locked up to them, we all see it every day.

What ever happened to these? I remember these steel tree guards were common in around the 80's, or the 90's on young city trees. We need these back to give the trees more of a fighting chance. Because you know bikes will get locked up to them, we all see it every day.
The City just put some on The Esplanade and they ARE a good idea. Here is a photograph copied over from The Esplanade thread.
Esplanade trees.jpg

Attachments

• Esplanade trees.jpg
    Esplanade trees.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:

I hadn't realized, but you're right - one doesn't see many of those anymore (although good to hear from DSC that some just went in on the Esplanade). It wasn't uncommon in the past to see them damaged (bent, etc.) and if the budget for them got cut, then presumably they didn't get replaced. They also might have been the work of various BIAs, rather than the City, or even the old Metro transportation department (depending on what streets they were on).

The new London Planes on Bloor Street in Bloor Yorkville (some of which appear to be dead) have a plastic sheathing-type protection on the trunk of the tree.

I'm really liking the open feel of Barbara Hall Park. The benches are quite nice (lots of them, too!) and so are the light poles. They are much better than the ones in the Pan-Am Village. I really think people are going to like this park. Hopefully, it will be used a lot more by the community and not so much by drug dealers.

I'm really liking the open feel of Barbara Hall Park. The benches are quite nice (lots of them, too!) and so are the light poles. They are much better than the ones in the Pan-Am Village. I really think people are going to like this park. Hopefully, it will be used a lot more by the community and not so much by drug dealers.

Most of the benches are located close to the sidewalk and the space is open now which will make people feel safe using them, and it looks like there's plenty of lighting - like this place is going to glow at night! So aside from not enough grass (IMO), the new layout seems nicely planned, "friendly" and well executed.

I actually prefer urban, public squares with little grass. This park combines a bit of both urban, paved square and trees/grass park, so it's a good compromise.

Aside...Platis Cleaners has moved out and a new Greek place is opening where Chino Loco's used to be. Oh...and the Starbucks has re-opened.

I was just going to report the Starbucks re-opening today, I saw it was open when I walked by so I went in and picked up a bag of coffee. I didn't go upstairs, my dog was tied up out front. It's very dark downstairs, very brown with white veined marble or marble-type counters. More workspace has been allocated behind the bar, but even with the stairway & shelves removed from that tight serving queue somehow it still feels a little cramped. The purchasing and pickup queues have been reversed from how they were before. The stairs to the second level are at the back, even the restrooms have been relocated. No window seats at the main floor window anymore, only four plushy (brown!) chairs in the back. It's nice, but not very cheerful - and the ceiling seems low.

The park is pretty much done. Some work is still happening at the back of the park with possibly replacing the brick tiles in the round gathering space, but I don't see many skids of new tiles. The only other thing are the entrance light features at the north and south entrance to the park off Church Street, eight sets of poles were laying on the ground today (see photos). They're huge. I can only imagine how this is going to work (and look), but I'm thinking that these light features have the potential to make a mighty impressive statement as grand entrances to the park.

I was just going to report the Starbucks re-opening today, I saw it was open when I walked by so I went in and picked up a bag of coffee. I didn't go upstairs, my dog was tied up out front. It's very dark downstairs, very brown with white veined marble or marble-type counters. More workspace has been allocated behind the bar, but even with the stairway & shelves removed from that tight serving queue somehow it still feels a little cramped. The purchasing and pickup queues have been reversed from how they were before. The stairs to the second level are at the back, even the restrooms have been relocated. No window seats at the main floor window anymore, only four plushy (brown!) chairs in the back. It's nice, but not very cheerful - and the ceiling seems low.

The second level is quite nice. Cozy, lots of power outlets and lots of seating. There's even a new room in the back that overlooks the alley. Two new washrooms upstairs too.

Great pics of the park! I can't wait to see the final product -- hopefully in time for Pride...

I forgot to mention, the inevitable RBC signs went up in the windows of the former 7 & 24 Video space at Church & Wellesley.

Yep, looks like RBC is confirmed for the space. Oddly though, the for lease sign is still up. I'm assuming they haven't taken it down.

The new Starbucks is really really nice. When my friend was saying it was the most expensive renovation Starbucks Canada has done, I believe it. The attention to detail is impeccable. Two rooms upstairs, with a new room in the very back with a large window looking out into the back alley. It's a nice space they have! They made the upstairs for relaxing, and downstairs for grabbing and go.

Back