News   Jul 12, 2024
 792     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 717     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 304     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

I love that TD Bank is so supportive of the gay community. Lord knows that so many of its employees and customers are gay. I'm glad I do all my banking with them.

Bandwagon? They've been a huge sponsor for pride in Toronto for a long time now.

Keyword was again. I'm not saying they're faking the whole "gay pride" thing, but it's just marketing. Pulling the heartstrings of the gay community, and it works for them!

I love that TD Bank is so supportive of the gay community. Lord knows that so many of its employees and customers are gay. I'm glad I do all my banking with them.

It's a great deal for them; marketing is everything. It's not exactly a sacrifice or them going out of their way to make life better for gay people. Rather, it's a strategic marketing move.

Indeed. And of course you didn't see them supporting gay rights before it is safe to do so. That's pretty much a litmus test for everything.

And if I am being utterly uncharitable, I would dissect their ad campaigns a bit more to see what kind of subtext they are conveying. It won't be pretty.

AoD

It's a great deal for them; marketing is everything. It's not exactly a sacrifice or them going out of their way to make life better for gay people. Rather, it's a strategic marketing move.

TD was a supporter of Pride since the late 90s.

BMO has supported the Pride Run almost since its inception.

As an employee of BMO, trust me — it's a big deal for a Bank to support anything gay. We still get letters opposing our support of Pride or any gay-related charities, events, etc. Even so much as a pamphlet or flyer with a gay couple on it results in feedback from 'phobes.

Of course part of the reason is to appeal to the gay dollar. But how is that different from their ads that have heterosexual couples? They're going for the straight dollar.

Of course part of the reason is to appeal to the gay dollar. But how is that different from their ads that have heterosexual couples? They're going for the straight dollar.

Very valid point. Especially the whole "perfect family" image (mom, dad, son, daughter).

They also do it for interracial couples too, as well as cultural groups. Anything to be more inclusive, which I really do like!

Keyword was again.
UT represented in 2010!

32280_424060810398_3917856_n.jpg

Attachments

• 32280_424060810398_3917856_n.jpg
    32280_424060810398_3917856_n.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 517
The function of cause marketing is no different than any other marketing. It's designed to enduce more consumption.

Wong-Tam's office told me that those huge cement planters along Wellesley Street were to be landscaped on Saturday. Did anybody see them? If anyone is in the area, please take a pic and post it. I'm curious to see if it's done. Those planters have been there for years and never planted with anything besides a single tree. It will be a big improvement if it's full of lush greenery and colourful flowers.

Wong-Tam's office told me the landscaping was donated by a company, which is nice to hear.

Wong-Tam's office told me that those huge cement planters along Wellesley Street were to be landscaped on Saturday. Did anybody see them? If anyone is in the area, please take a pic and post it. I'm curious to see if it's done. Those planters have been there for years and never planted with anything besides a single tree. It will be a big improvement if it's full of lush greenery and colourful flowers.

Wong-Tam's office told me the landscaping was donated by a company, which is nice to hear.

I was to participate in that but I slept in :(
So yes, all planters were filled with flowers and topped up with soil by neighbours, the Church Wellesley Neighbourhood Association members and Councillor Wong-Tam. Landscapers also removed & replaced a few dead/dying/missing trees. I saw photos on FB but have no permission to re-post, rest assured it was done and looks terrific. I hope they survive World Pride, these gardens take a beating at the best of times as a place to throw garbage and vandalize. There have been attempts by local businesses and neighbours (including our Tenant Association for the planter in front of our building) to plant and maintain the planters but they are difficult to maintain during dry spells and impossible to keep watered as they are so damn big (hoses are needed) and require so much water. I see what they planted and I know some of the plants are drought tolerant, hopefully they all are.
FYI, a local resident (an Architect I believe) liaised with former Councillor Kyle Rae & is the one who donated all these planters along Wellesley Street about 10 years ago, so I've been told.

Back