News   Jul 12, 2024
 819     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 741     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 311     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

WorldPride and Luminato hook up: In Luminato world premiere, men sing love songs to men

The convention of Broadway musicals is that men sing love songs to women and women sing love songs to men. Now get ready for a twist: guys singing classic love songs to other guys.

That’s the concept of Rufus Wainwright’s star-studded If I Loved You: Gentlemen Prefer Broadway. Luminato presents its world premiere for one night, June 14, at the Sony Centre, on the festival’s closing weekend.

Among the famous guys serenading one another will be Grammy and Oscar winner David Byrne (of Talking Heads fame), Josh Groban, who has sold 25 million records, Boy George and Steven Page (formerly of Barenaked Ladies).

And in a groundbreaking alliance, Luminato has brought in WorldPride as a major partner of the event. It’s being billed as a prelude to the WorldPride celebration in Toronto that begins a week after the concert.

Well but i was thinking of some of the bigger named Canadian acts too, i.e. K.D., Rufus, Carol Pope et al... heck, maybe Ellen Page could do a poetry slam! :)

You're right though, it would be better to have outside big names involved too.

Agreed!

Still no word on what financial institution will be in the old 24/7 site though? I'm going to guess National Bank as the area is pretty-well covered by the others.

RBC? They'll be losing their next closest location just north of Yonge & College once the condo development gets going there.

^^ I think there's an RBC going in at Yonge & St. Joseph. How about Tangerine (aka ING).

I was actually thinking CIBC. The closest location is all the way down at Carlton, and it's only open weekdays 8-4pm (ATM's are locked after hours too). There isn't another brand heading north until you hit Yonge/Bloor.

^^ I do not like what I read in that article. Here we go with the BS and excuses. (renovation/redesign of Alexander & Church is cancelled due to condo corp) And of course, the Parklests do not return due to the BIA not making enough money. (because that's all that matters, right?) Screw what locals or visitors want! I hate the Church/Wellesley BIA! They have their own agenda (making a quick buck) and they could care less about what anyone else wants in the Village.

So basically, they are doing nothing but a few superficial changes to anything. (even with World Pride coming) I'm disappointed to say the least. (well, PISSED is more accurate!) The only real plus I see coming is the renovation of the 519 park.

Last edited:
That corner became downright dangerous in the last two summers the benches were there, I know, I used to sit with friends there at night in the summer - a lot. We stopped going. I saw assaults, robberies and fights first hand, including a guy who was being harassed for something then got a bottle smashed over his head. One fellow who was a neighbour on my floor when I lived at Alexus had the tar kicked out of him coming back from picking up groceries at night, with no provocation & security was standing right outside when it happened. So we're talking about the Board of Alexus that doesn't want benches back, not the residents in general.
As for the Parklets they really weren't a success, they didn't get as many businesses participating as they had hoped and they were also a problem later at night with street kids causing problems. The plan was for them to go on the west side this summer, but with the street being torn up starting in August that would have only give them about a month this summer which isn't worth the expense.

Back