News   Jul 12, 2024
 842     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 755     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 321     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

Hopefully North of Brooklyn Pizza will absorb Woodies. That's one tired bar that have closed years ago.

I love Woody's. What do you mean it's a 'tired' bar, it's always busy any night you go there. Really, it's one of the only places you can really go any night of the week and have at least a decent time.

Oxford recognizes both - culs-de-sac and cul-de-sacs. And the Canadian Oxford only recognizes the latter. Anecdotally, I've always seen more of the latter than the former, so that's the one I've used (even before I noticed the Canadian Oxford usage). Also, growing up, cul was always "ass" in French, and pluralizing it in cul-de-sac somehow makes me feel as though I am saying something rude (which oddly doesn't occur to me if I pluralize sac - perhaps it should).

Oxford accepts both only because people were saying it incorrectly and it spread like wild-fire and Oxford pays no mind to what is 'correct', but to what is being regularily used (which is fair enough, I suppose). There are three words: cul, de and sac. But, many treat is as one word and put the s at the end to pluralise it.

I love Woody's. What do you mean it's a 'tired' bar, it's always busy any night you go there. Really, it's one of the only places you can really go any night of the week and have at least a decent time.

Woody's is what Woody's is; and is successful because there isn't another bar like it in the village: not a dump like Crews nor as 'posh' (and I use that word carefully) as Byz. And bigger than Boutique (obviously). I admit it lost it's 'charm' for me years ago; but if my friends are up for a drink on a given Friday night, we'll end up there. The posing and attitude of some of the twinks in there is hilarious to watch, too. :D

Oxford accepts both only because people were saying it incorrectly and it spread like wild-fire and Oxford pays no mind to what is 'correct', but to what is being regularily used (which is fair enough, I suppose). There are three words: cul, de and sac. But, many treat is as one word and put the s at the end to pluralise it.

We are getting away from the actual topic of this thread, but that's how language evolves and that's likely true of half the dictionary. I admire you sticking to your guns (my personal pet peeve is "Governor Generals"), but I think this particular issue has sadly been lost.

We are getting away from the actual topic of this thread, but that's how language evolves and that's likely true of half the dictionary. I admire you sticking to your guns (my personal pet peeve is "Governor Generals"), but I think this particular issue has sadly been lost.
Not in my books - if I start seeing Governor Generals I can see I need to touch base with the Attorneys General

Out of town Gays visiting for World Pride, can go to Pizza Pizza, Woody's, Cruise and Tangos, Flash - a strip club - Black Eagle and Fly. That should keep them busy for an extra week. And if the steam baths are still around, they could visit them too! Sounds like a compelling week. Can't wait. Who dreams up these bird brained ideas anyway?

On a happier note, I bought some pizza from Brooklyn. It's AWESOME. A dollar a slice this week with profits donated to a charity. Go.

On a happier note, I bought some pizza from Brooklyn. It's AWESOME. A dollar a slice this week with profits donated to a charity. Go.

Pizza has been done again and again. YAWN. Enjoy your new-world knock-off. I'll go to Napoli when I'm in the mood for a slice (which is never, because I'm not a culinary pleb).

Back