News   Jul 12, 2024
 818     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 740     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 311     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

Never heard of before. But that goes for most of the performers.

Other than as a fantasy character, I can't see the gays going for Steve Grand because

A) His song is called All American Boy and most Toronto gays are adamantly anti-anything American and

B) It's country music, a genre the gay hegemony snubs.

^^ Oh, don't forget Martha Wash! She will also be there. I know you like "It's Raining Men". And don't even pretend that you don't know all the words. lol

^^ Oh, don't forget Martha Wash! She will also be there. I know you like "It's Raining Men". And don't even pretend that you don't know all the words. lol

It's nice Steve Grand is coming. But he's not really a popular artist. Melissa Etheridge, Crystal Waters and Deborah Cox are all artists from another era. Whatever star power they had, remains in the distant past.

It's good to provide employment for these former stars, but, the notion is nothing more than a gesture to a time long gone.

One wonders what visiting gays will say when they see Church Street in all its shabbiness and decay.

Last edited:
This is what I mean. There are lots of artists that are current they could have gone after. But it's like this every year, so I don't see that changing.

The board of World Pride are all lobbyists, lawyers and civil servants. Don't expect anything new. Expect more of the same.

I hope there are plans to improve or at least spiff up the street scape for the summer. I don't really find the murals and markers making much of an impact.

The concept is to make Church Street look like the Main Street in a small cash strapped rust belt college town like Kitchener - mission accomplished -

Other than as a fantasy character, I can't see the gays going for Steve Grand because

A) His song is called All American Boy and most Toronto gays are adamantly anti-anything American and

B) It's country music, a genre the gay hegemony snubs.

Most Toronto gays are anti-anything-American? Really?

Just in music alone (past and present)...

• Beyonce
  • Madonna
  • Katy Perry (unfortunately)
  • Lady GaGa
  • Britney Spears
  • Liza
  • Barbara
  • Cyndi Lauper
  • Donna Summer
  • Whitney Houston
  • Dolly Parton (country)
  • Reba McIntyre (country)

If anything, when you think of the music, movies, fashion, and general pop culture we tend to gravitate towards, it's TOO American.

Speaking of country music: maybe it isn't the gay hegemony but the fact that country music since the mid-80s has been horrible? Or that Steve Grand's song isn't any good?

• Beyonce
  • Madonna
  • Katy Perry (unfortunately) [...]

I'm not anti-American either (I'm married to one!), but this is Worldpride. It would be nice to have international artists making all kinds of music, and not just a bunch of North American/British pop singers. There is a single song by all those people that I like: "I Feel Love" by Donna Summer. Why should I like repetitive pap just because I'm gay?

I married an American too! Guess i missed the memo about being anti-American.

As for the artists at World Pride I feel we should be featuring local and Canadian performers, showing the world what we have to offer here.

• Beyonce
  • Madonna
  • Katy Perry (unfortunately)
  • Lady GaGa
  • Britney Spears
  • Liza
  • Barbara
  • Cyndi Lauper
  • Donna Summer
  • Whitney Houston
  • Dolly Parton (country)
  • Reba McIntyre (country)

If anything, when you think of the music, movies, fashion, and general pop culture we tend to gravitate towards, it's TOO American.

Speaking of country music: maybe it isn't the gay hegemony but the fact that country music since the mid-80s has been horrible? Or that Steve Grand's song isn't any good?

The Gays will buy made in the United States music, but get them on the topic of the United States of America and look out. You'd think you were in the Kremlin listening to Yladimir Putin, Olivia Chow and Fidel Castro opine.

I married an American too! Guess i missed the memo about being anti-American.

As for the artists at World Pride I feel we should be featuring local and Canadian performers, showing the world what we have to offer here.

Isn't that what they do every year? Probably 95% of the entertainment is Canadian, including the bigger acts. What's wrong with having a bit of diversity and having acts that are big enough to bring out a crowd? This is WORLD PRIDE, not Toronto Pride! Few people will go out of their way to see unknown performers. Just check out the shows from local, unknown acts and it will be obvious, how well those go off. It's great to give new performers a forum but to really bring large crowds out, you need singers who have had HITS!

You do realize large crowds = higher beer sales and that's what pays the bills. The large events also offer a special vibe you just can't get at small events.

Back