News   Jul 12, 2024
 842     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 754     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 321     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

Gays and lesbians are much like any other group - they coalesce in a neighbourhood and then move on as they assimilate. It's happened to the Jews in Kensington, the Greeks along the Danforth, etc. These groups don't disappear - but the people, and the supporting businesses and institutions, typically become more scattered. As a young gay or lesbian, imagine what one's choices were in 1980 if one didn't want to live in the closet, versus today. As for the gays being "still very urban creatures for the most part", I don't disagree. But I think that too will change, and like other groups, some gays will prefer to live more centrally, and others will want ensuite bathrooms, cul-de-sacs and room to park their minivans.

Last edited:
Exactly the point. I can't wait for the Village to transform. As it is now, it's basically a poorly maintained museum for past that no longer is.

You'll miss it. I know you find it tacky and camp, but it has character... something you won't find on other high-rent streets in Toronto. Church st. will soon "transform" into yet another array of outlets for giant corporations who already enjoy a ubiquitous presence in most North American cities. BORING.

You'll miss it. I know you find it tacky and camp, but it has character... something you won't find on other high-rent streets in Toronto. Church st. will soon "transform" into yet another array of outlets for giant corporations who already enjoy a ubiquitous presence in most North American cities. BORING.

Point in fact, Churchmouse & Firkin is open again after their renos. and just by looking in the windows it seems to be just as boring as before, hopefully their food and service is better than it was. It matches the other faux pub across the street with equally bad food and even worse service. That these two establishments can do so well speaks to how the neighbourhood is changing. Way overpriced crappy food and we pay to be treated like crap. Give me "Hair of the Dog" or "Sambucas" any day, until they disappear when they can no longer meet rent. I'm really down on the neighbourhood lately, and not so much because half of the great shops and services are gone in the past few years (or on their last legs) but because of the greedy nature of most property owners and businesses who give so little back to the community now. Some still do, but most don't. When the rainbow flags are quietly removed from TD Canada Trust, you'll know the transformation is complete.

Was in NYC on the weekend and went to eat at a place called Pounds & Ounces. It had the best atmosphere I've ever seen at a gay restaurant.

Also went to a sports bar called Boxers. Never thought a gay sports bar could work, but it does there.

Manhattan alone has two gay sports bars that I can think of, and both are quite popular.

Whatever that thing is currently at the north-east corner of Church/Maitland (the old Village Rainbow) is probably our closest equivalent now. Just done very badly.

Of course, historically, we also had Carrington's Sports Bar at Yonge/St. Joseph.

Toronto has had a few gay sports bars on Yonge Street and we still have one in the Village called Pegasus, right on Church Street. (second floor)

From their web site

"Pegasus is a fully licenced bar and lounge located at 489b Church St. south of Wellesley in the heart of the Church Street Village. We are equipped with four professional pool tables, pinball machines, electronic dart boards, Buzztime trivia, Megatouch games, Wii Sports Resort and HD-TV. We are proud to boast a great atmosphere, an energetic and courteous staff that have ensured our success over the past sixteen years. Come and see why Pegasus is the friendliest bar on Church and why the staff knows everyone by name."

They show a lot of live sporting events there too.

A lotta gays now in King West, King East, Parkdale/Roncy, Leslieville, Regent Park etc. A LOTTA gays.

I get what you guys are saying but I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that gay guys are actually still spread out around the entire city in a major way. I understand the concept of certain areas having a higher gay population, and I see that a lot too, but let's remember that there are plenty of gay men who are not upper middle class, or cannot afford to live in the latest "IT condo to live in", etc. etc. I think that's a very narrow view of the gay population, even in a city like Toronto.

Gays and lesbians are much like any other group - they coalesce in a neighbourhood and then move on as they assimilate. It's happened to the Jews in Kensington, the Greeks along the Danforth, etc. These groups don't disappear - but the people, and the supporting businesses and institutions, typically become more scattered. As a young gay or lesbian, imagine what one's choices were in 1980 if one didn't want to live in the closet, versus today. As for the gays being "still very urban creatures for the most part", I don't disagree. But I think that too will change, and like other groups, some gays will prefer to live more centrally, and others will want ensuite bathrooms, cul-de-sacs and room to park their minivans.

The plural of cul-de-sac is culs-de-sac. (Sorry. I had to.) Other than that I agree. :D

North of Brooklyn Pizza is now open underneath Woodys. I walked by yesterday, and there was a sign offering $1 slices. Hopefully it's on again today!

The plural of cul-de-sac is culs-de-sac. (Sorry. I had to.) Other than that I agree. :D

Oxford recognizes both - culs-de-sac and cul-de-sacs. And the Canadian Oxford only recognizes the latter. Anecdotally, I've always seen more of the latter than the former, so that's the one I've used (even before I noticed the Canadian Oxford usage). Also, growing up, cul was always "ass" in French, and pluralizing it in cul-de-sac somehow makes me feel as though I am saying something rude (which oddly doesn't occur to me if I pluralize sac - perhaps it should).

Hopefully North of Brooklyn Pizza will absorb Woodies. That's one tired bar that have closed years ago.

Yes, we'd all be better off with another Pizza joint.

Woody's remains popular. Tourists love it as well. "Tired" bars are generally not full of people.

Woody's and Buddies are the only reason for me (or any of my gay friends) to go to the Village now. Gay spots in other neighbourhoods and mixed bars are far more popular among the people I know.

It's fine to not enjoy Woody's personally but to say that it should disappear is ridiculous. It's a popular and wildly successful spot.

Last edited:
Besides which, North of Brooklyn is mainly a take-out/slice place; I doubt it'll be sustainable in so large a space.

Back