News   Jul 26, 2024
 258     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 282     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 320     0 

Chinatown...Death of a Neighbourhood

...though paradoxically (as the thrust of this thread indicates), the biggest net "casualties" of this failure-to-touristify are the Chinese-Canadian middle class.

I guess the Caucasian equivalent would be steering clear of filthy grubby Kensington because it isn't like Olde Unionville...

wylie:

Even Chinatown East can't outdo suburban Chinese malls in trying to promote Chinese culture. Pacific Mall has an indoor Chinese "bazaar" designed in Chinese architectural styles. Mississauga Chinese Centre is famous for its giant Chinese gate and its Nine Dragon Wall. The future Splendid China Tower mall will feature a facade taken from Chinese palace architecture (much like the old Mr. Wong Super Buffet next to Tuxedo Court in Scarborough).

I think Chinatown East is heavily Vietnamese to start off with. Besides, we talk about Chinese as if it was some unitary ethnic group with no finer differences within - especially with regards to culture. I would say suburban malls in Markham is the manifestation of contemporary Hong Kong culture of consumption, in particular.

Yes, Chinatown may be "mercenary", but that's also why it's so authentic. It actually reflects the current no-frills business-like attitude of Hong Kong, Taiwan and China more than the suburban malls do. Chinatown feels more like an Asian street than any suburban Chinese mall.

I don't know if Chinatown is particularly authentic - because suburban Chinese malls is equally authentic IMO in capturing the feel of say a what, contemporary shopping centre in any HK megablock residential development.

AoD

re: the paved.ca post

Yet, the death knell for the neighbourhood was sounding before the SARS outbreak did a number on its tourism potential, and the combination of the streetcar right-of-way and enclosed Chinatown Centre help discourage any future effort to renew the street's vitality.

Where did that bit about the streetcar ROW came from? How did it discourage street vitality, much less its' supposed "renewal"?

Interesting how some of these issues just got slipped in.

AoD

I don't know if Chinatown is particularly authentic - because suburban Chinese malls is equally authentic IMO in capturing the feel of say a what, contemporary shopping centre in any HK megablock residential development.

Not in all cases, and this certainly doesn't apply to Pacific Mall or Market Village. Pacific Mall is uniquely Pacific Mall in atmosphere. The closet-like stores at Pacific Mall remind me of the small shops of Langham Place in Mongkok, but Langham Place in general caters to high-end shoppers, not everybody like at Pacific. Market Village and its new Hwy 7 counterpart, First Markham Place, were not even designed for Asians.

wylie:

Actually, it reminded me the shopping centres at some of the older, more middle class residential developments. There are some local adaptations here, of course, but the predominant theme is still "mass consumption".

AoD

disclosure: I love chinatown spadina

Chinatown is like an old friend... totally reliable..... always give one a warm feeling when i have money or not......

cold tea, christmas diner with your hated in laws, cheap fruits and veggies, new year's dinner, new year's day brunch...... I can always count on chinatown.....

chinatown never rip you off...... they are complicit in the ripping process............

do i want it to change.............................

Don'tcha believe the streetcar ROW has been a factor in creating the impression that the street is dead or dying? Naturally, it's a subjective point, no more or less accurate than the article itself ...

And unfortunately to be latched onto by Margaret Smith-SOS types as an I-told-you-so fait accompli...

As the downtown changes, so will Chinatown. The city is not a museum.

I guess the Caucasian equivalent would be steering clear of filthy grubby Kensington because it isn't like Olde Unionville...

...and to further the argument re the raw power of "commodification": think of the kind of draw Unionville is compared to the old centres of Markham, Richmond Hill et al. Then you can understand the whole "doldrums" point. (OTOH if a lot of Chinatown's current young-urbanite defenders had their druthers, they'd rather invest in Markham or Richmond Hill than in a saccharine mummy-case like Unionville...)

I don't think Toronto is losing its ethnic communities, except in the just-outside downtown areas, where house prices are now astronomical and immigrant families can't afford. In the suburban apartment complexes in Rexdale and Scarborough there's still plenty of ethnic communities.
Adam Vaughan made an interesting point on a podcast done by the Reading Toronto site: that the city shouldn't simply look at fitting one million more people into it, it should instead look at trying to create 250,000 new three-four bedroom houses where families can live, and not simply studio-one-two bedroom condo complexes for urban professionals. He made the point that family housing carries with it things like schools, parks, libraries, all the things that make a true community.
Course, I'm guessing those houses would still be priced pretty damn high! And I'm having a hard time trying to figure out where you can build them in the old city of Toronto, the only thing I can see is allowing as-of-right tear downs/additions of the old one story post-war bungalows in the former East York, Etobicoke, and Scarborough in favour of three-three-and-a-half storey houses. But that'd be messing with the promises made that the new OP would not mess with established neighbourhoods.

Welcome Mr. Paved:

Don'tcha believe the streetcar ROW has been a factor in creating the impression that the street is dead or dying? Naturally, it's a subjective point, no more or less accurate than the article itself ...

Actually no, I don't believe in that at all. In fact, I'd argue the Spadina LRT provided dependable mass transit that the old bus route didn't.

AoD

Today I actually stayed in Scarborough and went to see my friend at work. She works in an office that happens to be located in the Oriental Centre, in Scarborough. So heres some pics I took today of the new chinatown, in the suburbs.

I have to say it still had some cool things, like some pretty good asian food and stuff. But it just does not have the vibrancy to me of Spadina. It was just not the same. But heres the pics.

agin10.jpg

agin2.jpg

agin1.jpg

agin7.jpg

agin4.jpg

agin6.jpg

agin3.jpg

agin8.jpg

agin9.jpg

agin5.jpg

SHEPPARD AVE

agin11.jpg

agin12.jpg

agin13.jpg

Looking twords the asian condo towers at Finch and McCowan.

agin14.jpg

Back