News   Jul 26, 2024
 281     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 306     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 328     0 

Chinatown...Death of a Neighbourhood

If I was Chinese and moving to Canada, the last place I would live would be amoungst the "China towns" in Vancouver, Markham, Toronto, Montreal, etc.

Really don't understand your logic. I think there are a few independent-minded immigrants who would want to strike it out on their own outside of the big cities for immigration, but most Chinese immigrants probably prefer to settle in areas already populated by Chinese, where they can take advantage of existing social support networks, businesses, etc.

As to why many young Asians won't want to move into Chinatown, I'd say it's because for the most of them, the suburban lifestyle was the only lifestyle that they had ever known. To them the suburbs are chic, clean and where all their friends are. Chinatown is passe, run-down, and where only old people and third or fourth generation Chinese Canadians live.

most Chinese immigrants probably prefer to settle in areas already populated by Chinese,
Well, someone had to have the courage to be the first Chinese person in an area. It is those immigrants that I admire most, as they came to Canada likely knowing no one, and came to start a new life with new people, new cultures, etc...

I hate ghettos

Culture, food and groceries are all fine.
But never have I or any of my friends actually felt at home in Chinatown. It's too foreign to be "home" and, there, I've felt like a foreigner in my own country. It's nice to be able to go to a "foreign" place like Chinatown or Little India once in a while, take in the local flavour and play tourist, but I could never live there (nor in any other ghetto) because I would feel out of place and -- frankly -- I feel that I would not be welcome to move into Chinatown, nor in many other places in Toronto.

Xenophobia, you say? Perhaps, but I don't think so. I wasn't born or raised xenophobic, that's for sure. And, given that I am ethnic myself and never lived in a ghetto of my own ethnicity, it's unlikely that I would be fearful of "others" because I was always surrounded by "others". In any case, xenophobia is reciprocal. In Chinatown and certain other pockets of East Asian immigrants, I've distinctly felt treated as an "outsider", the colour of whose money was never quite green enough to merit civility and basic politeness. The same has also been true in old Quebec and the southern U.S. I must say this is not a universal occurence: I've been made to feel quite welcome as a customer in "ethnic" businesses and restaurants throughout the city and indeed throughout the country. My favourite convenience store is run by a wonderful Korean family. My least favourite fruit stand is not in Chinatown but in my own neighbourhood. It's my least favourite because it's so unwelcoming: no one in the store save the cashiers speaks English (and not well at that) and customers are served with the utmost lack of attentiveness and respect. I figure no one in that store wants to be there; they may all be recent immigrants whose career plans never included working in a fruit stand for minimum wage (I hope they get at least that, but I suspect this is not always true). I also have other beefs with their produce and the way they handle their garbage, but that's for another conversation. In Chinatown itself, I suspect it's simply complacency.

So what's my point? If old Chinatown is to survive as a Chinatown, it must stop depending on Chinese/Vietnamese clients and cater to non-Asians and make them feel welcome. It's entirely natural for well-to-do ex-settlers to seek better/larger/cheaper digs, depopulate the traditional ghettos and only occasionally return.

What I really don't like are the new ghettos in Scarborough and Markham. I simply don't feel any attachment and extend no welcome to people who don't reciprocate, and I simply get no warmth from the thought that people are flocking to this country who have no intention of becoming part of the country, people who have absolutely zero connection with any other part of the country other than with other urban ghettos of their own ethnicity. Yes it's natural for people to assemble, to be with others who speak the same language, practice the same religion, eat the same foods, to feel secure, to get help, etc. However, the fundamental question for every immigrant remains: Why come to another country, if all you will do is try to re-create your homeland and avoid everyone else (except to take their money)? In that light, the concentration of East Asians in NE T.O. is a very bad sign. Worse is a recent Muslim-only neighbourhood in Vaughan, and I'm still shaking my head at that.

I therefore see the perceived decline of Chinatown as a good sign and I hope local business-people will take the opportunity to seek out new clientèle while keeping the flavour alive.

Part of it is the other side of white flight... When good economic times brought wealth to the white middle class after WWII, they moved out to the suburbs to bigger houses and more privacy. Now, second and third generations immigrants are gaining that very same wealth, and are moving out to the suburbs too.

An excellent example is Little Korea, around Bloor & Christie. The area has a lot of Korean-oriented businesses, but there are very few Koreans living in the area anymore. This area is much deeper into the cycle that's people are forecasting for Chinatown. Watch closing what this area does - Chinatown will be watching very closely too.

What I really don't like are the new ghettos in Scarborough and Markham.

Why come to another country, if all you will do is try to re-create your homeland and avoid everyone else (except to take their money)?

One thing's for sure, the immigrants aren't avoiding the suburban culture with the big house and a car. That's something you won't find in most parts of Asia.

I suggest looking at Coxwell/Gerrard, Little India. Hardly any South Asians live around there (or ever did, really - they're in Malton, Rexdale, Brampton and Scarborough), but it's busy with South Asian shoppers and others looking for Indian food and goods.

I think Chinatown will "decline" a little bit, but will remain in situ with a relatively strong presence for years to come.

An excellent example is Little Korea, around Bloor & Christie. The area has a lot of Korean-oriented businesses, but there are very few Koreans living in the area anymore. This area is much deeper into the cycle that's people are forecasting for Chinatown. Watch closing what this area does - Chinatown will be watching very closely too.

I don't think there ever was a large population of Koreans living around Korea Town, other than possibly the people who ran business there.

On the flip side of the coin, if there is any hope in 'urbanizing' the suburbs, it lies with ethnic groups.

Korean businesses have made that one block stretch of Spring Garden road the most interesting commercial strip in NYCC, even though they're housed in the bases of very uninspired late 80s condos.

Also, you can see the nascent beginnings of real ethnic urban areas in old strip malls in the inner 416. For example, I was surprised at how vibrant the corner of Jane and Lawrence was, where Jamaican and South Asian stores have transplanted a sidewalk culture to former parking lots. Same goes for parts of Scarborough, the Jewish area around Lawrence and Bathurst and the area around Dundas and Hurontario in Mississauga. This is the Los Angelesization of Toronto, where large swaths of the city are physically suburban - with large traffic arterials, small sidewalks and old, fading strip malls - but essentially urban in spirit, with high transit ridership, a breeding ground for family-owned retail stores and a sense of public place.

Back