News   Jun 25, 2024
 682     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 704     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Canadian Soccer Association to bid for 2026 World Cup

You are not doing your position help if you are comparing Canada's bid to Qatar. :p
Yes, there's no point comparing a country like Canada that will never host the World Cup to a country like Qatar that will.

Unless we are prepared to do what Qatar did to win the world cup like massive bribery of FIFA officials by Mohamed bin Hammam.

I still really like the idea of dual Great Lakes bid. Some of the cities, especially on the US side, could use the limelight too. Most also have the required infrastructure as well. I'd include Montreal, Hamilton, Toronto, Rochester, Buffalo, Cleveland, Chicago and Milwaukee.

I still really like the idea of dual Great Lakes bid. Some of the cities, especially on the US side, could use the limelight too. Most also have the required infrastructure as well. I'd include Montreal, Hamilton, Toronto, Rochester, Buffalo, Cleveland, Chicago and Milwaukee.

Which of the CSA or USSF would make the bid?

That is not a bad idea.

I'd remove one of Rochester/Buffalo and include Ottawa or K-W.

If Ottawa, it could jump-start an MLS bid for Canada's capital as well. I wonder if the Senators would be willing to pitch in.

That is not a bad idea.

It is a totally unworkable idea. Cities/Regions cannot bid for world cups (I am sure we have gone over this before)....only a country's national governing soccer body (with the full financial backing of the country's government) can bid. So, again, which of the USSF or the CSA is going to make that bid?

I'd remove one of Rochester/Buffalo and include Ottawa or K-W.

Thought the unworkable idea's thrust was a Great Lakes bid?.....how are Ottawa and K-W part of the great lakes? What would KW do with a 40k seat stadium after the tournament?

If Ottawa, it could jump-start an MLS bid for Canada's capital as well. I wonder if the Senators would be willing to pitch in.

Senators owner Eugene Melnyk did apply for a MLS team when he was trying to build a soccer stadium in the parking lot of his arena. MLS rejected the bid.....the city went ahead with Lansdowne park....soccer in Ottawa is now controlled by the same ownership group as the CFL team and their team, the Fury play in the NASL.

It is a totally unworkable idea. Cities/Regions cannot bid for world cups (I am sure we have gone over this before)....only a country's national governing soccer body (with the full financial backing of the country's government) can bid. So, again, which of the USSF or the CSA is going to make that bid?
No idea, but nothing you've said makes it an impossibility either. Nations have combined forces for bids before, most successfully and recently Japan and Korea.

No idea, but nothing you've said makes it an impossibility either. Nations have combined forces for bids before, most successfully and recently Japan and Korea.

Once in the history of the WC there was a successful joint bid...that was it. FIFA (while not banning them) has said they no longer favour them (aside from the logistics...it means guaranteeing 2 spots to the host nations as opposed to one....the champion [who used to be guaranteed a spot] no longer gets one).

That aside....can you imagine the USSF saying "sorry LA, NY, Chicago, Dallas, SF, Miami, Atlanta, etc....it is our turn to bid but we are leaving you guys out of the bid and throwing our support behind a bid that will see games in Rochester and Kitchner (get a map if you don't know where that is)".

You are not doing your position help if you are comparing Canada's bid to Qatar. :p

But that's my point - the other poster claimed that Canada is unable to host a World Cup because we don't have enough stadiums (stadia?) of the right size, whereas Qatar doesn't even remotely qualify in terms of infrastructure (no where near even Canada's level), yet they are hosting the event in 2022. I agree that they obviously won the bid through sheer political corruption, which however renders the argument that Canada doesn't qualify in terms of facilities entirely moot.

But that's my point - the other poster claimed that Canada is unable to host a World Cup because we don't have enough stadiums (stadia?) of the right size, whereas Qatar doesn't even remotely qualify in terms of infrastructure (no where near even Canada's level), yet they are hosting the event in 2022. I agree that they obviously won the bid through sheer political corruption, which however renders the argument that Canada doesn't qualify in terms of facilities entirely moot.

Not entirely.......I don't know about the corruption but I will take people's word for that....but in addition to whatever they spent getting votes...they are committed to spending $16B on stadiums and, by some estimates, nearly $200B on other infrastructure.

All countries that bid on the World Cup do so knowing they are going to spend Billions on stuff like this (notable exception is our main competition the USA who are stadium and infrastructure rich and are essentially a "just add water" instant WC).....the bigger issue to Canada is not so much how short of stadiums we currently are, but who/how is going to spend the billions needed to produce a competitive bid.

Not entirely.......I don't know about the corruption but I will take people's word for that....but in addition to whatever they spent getting votes...they are committed to spending $16B on stadiums and, by some estimates, nearly $200B on other infrastructure.

All countries that bid on the World Cup do so knowing they are going to spend Billions on stuff like this (notable exception is our main competition the USA who are stadium and infrastructure rich and are essentially a "just add water" instant WC).....the bigger issue to Canada is not so much how short of stadiums we currently are, but who/how is going to spend the billions needed to produce a competitive bid.
No wonder why the United States have hosted every single CONCACAF Gold Cup (sometimes joint with Mexico).

No wonder why the United States have hosted every single CONCACAF Gold Cup (sometimes joint with Mexico).

can you imagine the USSF saying "sorry LA, NY, Chicago, Dallas, SF, Miami, Atlanta, etc....it is our turn to bid but we are leaving you guys out of the bid and throwing our support behind a bid that will see games in

Mexico

Back