News   Jun 25, 2024
 689     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 709     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Canadian Soccer Association to bid for 2026 World Cup

The 2014 FIFA World Cup is over. It generated major controversy in Brazil. If Canada were to host the FIFA World Cup, what can be done to prevent mass lootings?
Is it fair to compare Canada to a Third World country? The crime rate in Brazil is massive compared to Canada. The murder rate is 15 times higher than Canada. It's 5 times higher than the USA. It's 25 times higher than the UK.

There's huge poverty in Brazil. This is a non-issue in Canada. Not that we'll ever see the World Cup in my lifetime ...

Currently, there aren't enough big stadiums in this country to host an event the size of the FIFA World Cup.

There's ... Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium ... Montréal's Olympic Stadium ... Toronto's Rogers Centre ... and then ... what else is there?

BMO Field currently isn't big enough. Wikipedia says B.C. Place in Vancouver only holds 21,000 for football, so I guess that's out.

I'm not really sure how this would work.

Sure they may have exaggerated a bit, but here are 11 candidates. A few stadia with capacities the high 30,000 would still be acceptable.

From Reddit, not sure how reliable this is:
UGK79R5.png

OACpzOM.png

0RjULjt.png

IRl2TEA.png

Ds3wBZK.png

b0Heha7.png

HxBZWJj.png

XcbZiXr.png

BPXhLu6.png

3JEvrzc.png

wVJoVhz.png

YZhvW3j.png

c4VA4kB.png

Brazil had 12 venues - 6 with capacity 39,000 to 44,000.
South Africa had 10 venues - 6 with capacity 38,000 to 43,000.
Germany had 10 venues - 4 with capacity 41,000 to 45,000.
Japan/Korea had 10 venues - 6 with capacity 41,000 to 44,000.
France had 10 venues - 5 with capacity 34,000 to 40,000.

I like that suggestion about the entire Confederation hosting the Cup - 5 or 6 venues each from Canada and USA. Maybe the next time it would be USA and Mexico co-hosting.

Wikipedia says B.C. Place in Vancouver only holds 21,000 for football, so I guess that's out.

That's just for MLS - the 2015 Womens World Cup final is being held there and it's capacity will be 55,000 for the game.

I think holding a successful Womens World Cup next year could put Canada in good stead for a bid - but I really don't think they have a chance hosting

That's just for MLS - the 2015 Womens World Cup final is being held there and it's capacity will be 55,000 for the game.

I think holding a successful Womens World Cup next year could put Canada in good stead for a bid - but I really don't think they have a chance hosting

The women's world cup will have 24 teams for the first time - so it is a bigger tournament than in previous years.

I refer to my comment from months ago, the atmosphere for a WC in Canada would be poor.

In any case, Canada won't get it because Canada is too polite to bribe FIFA for the WC bid, which seems to be the largest requirement in choosing hosts these days.

Is it fair to compare Canada to a Third World country? The crime rate in Brazil is massive compared to Canada. The murder rate is 15 times higher than Canada. It's 5 times higher than the USA. It's 25 times higher than the UK.

There's huge poverty in Brazil. This is a non-issue in Canada. Not that we'll ever see the World Cup in my lifetime ...
True. There was the Stanley Cup riots in Vancouver, just because the Canucks lost the Stanley Cup.

I refer to my comment from months ago, the atmosphere for a WC in Canada would be poor.

In what way do you think the atmosphere would be poor?

As for playing in "fugly" American football stadiums - FIFA don't seem to mind using them for all the venues at next years Women's World Cup (not to mention using the athletics stadium in Moncton as a venue)

It's not the stadiums or the facilities. It is the long distances between cities (yes I know Americuh has hosted in the past) and the footballing culture. Canada lacks it completely.

This is what happens in Argentina when they reached the finals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTJJQj9w9Ek

This would never happen in Canada. We don't care about soccer, we just don't.

In what way do you think the atmosphere would be poor?

As for playing in "fugly" American football stadiums - FIFA don't seem to mind using them for all the venues at next years Women's World Cup (not to mention using the athletics stadium in Moncton as a venue)

While I don't agree that atmosphere would be lacking at a world cup in Canada (not that I believe there is one on the horizon) saying those stadiums are ok for the WWC so they should be fine for the WC is not right. The WWC does not have the stature of the WC and FIFA are just thrilled to have a nation like Canada with decent facilities and with a culture that places some value on female athletic endeavour to host the tournament. We will, no doubt, do a great job with this event and women will play in front of decent crowds coast to coast.....but it has no applicability to a full WC hosting situation.

I really disagree, even just the public viewings they had on Front street drew enthusiastic crowds. Not to mention the ethnic neighbourhoods when those teams were playing, and the numerous flags on cars, houses etc. In fact, the large and diverse immigrant population in most Canadian cities would probably produce a really interesting atmosphere as opposed to places like Brazil which pretty much died after their semifinal.

Now, enthusiasm for our national team is another matter. But a poor national team hasn't stopped any other nation from hosting before.

It's not the stadiums or the facilities. It is the long distances between cities (yes I know Americuh has hosted in the past) and the footballing culture. Canada lacks it completely.

This is what happens in Argentina when they reached the finals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTJJQj9w9Ek

This would never happen in Canada. We don't care about soccer, we just don't.

It would (and has) for hockey - which is the national sport here - similar to what football is in Argentina.

saying those stadiums are ok for the WWC so they should be fine for the WC is not right.

Why would these stadiums (Moncton excluded) not be suitable to host WC games? Don't they meet the capacity requirements to be able to host?

Why would these stadiums (Moncton excluded) not be suitable to host WC games? Don't they meet the capacity requirements to be able to host?

Some do, barely, but my thoughts on this issue are well documented in this thread...to summarize

1) There are 3 nations in North America capable of hosting a World Cup (Canada, USA, Mexico)
2) So when we bid for a WC that could come to NA we are bidding, essentially, against those other two.
3) There have been many people showing different stadium ideas/configurations to get Canada to the bare minimum.....using the example above...it shows a spend of $875million that gets us to 11 stadiums of varying ages and quality. Aside from the cost estimates being very low ($200 million for a new NFL quality stadium? take a look at the latest or currently under construction NFL stadiums and the number is actually $1B) we end up with a mish mash of old stadiums or temporary seating and with no explanation of what the current tenants of those stadiums would due during the, what, 6 - 8 weeks that FIFA would demand complete control of the stadia (nor does it explain what those tenants due during the renovations).....and we get, on paper, to the bare minimum (assuming the world cup does not, as has been suggested, expand to 40 teams).
4) At least one of the countries that we would be bidding against (USA) can simply select from a vast array of stadia that far exceed the bare minimum, produce massive capacity/profits and don't have to spend money on it. Again, I remind people they are so stadium rich, their last bid (2022) excluded such prominent stadiums and cities as Soldier Field in Chicago and the new NFL stadium in San Francisco....they are just so rich in stadiums.
5) The women's world cup, however, is smaller, needs fewer venues (because they accept fake turf and the heavier stadium use that allows) and will accept the stadiums on a largely "as is" basis.

For the person that compiled that list of stadiums above, they need to ask themselves how/why they think we can do this for a capital cost of less than a Billion dollars in stadiums when recent history suggests that so much more is needed. Does it have to be the $4B spent in Brazil (total cost of the world cup was $11B so that means there is about $7B of non-stadium costs asociated with hosting)....likely not.....but 8 years ago, in a country that already had a significant supply of very good soccer stadiums, how much did Germany spend on stadium construction and renovation? (the stadium in Munich alone cost 340 million Euros...yet we can do the whole thing for just a wee bit more 20 years later?)

Let's just say, for fun, the $11B that Brazil spent on hosting the WC was twice as much as it should/could have been...and let's assume those costs do not escalate with inflation........how does the CSA raise the $5.5B they would need to host the event?

Back