News   Jul 10, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 625     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 955     0 

Canadian Soccer Association to bid for 2026 World Cup

R: Interesting stats about CFL and proposed stadiums to be possibly used for the World Cup 2026 in Canada...

One thing caught my eye-Ivor Wynne Stadium in Hamilton being re-named Tim Hortons Field...How long ago
did that happen? Was their any backlash over this from Tiger Cats fans? LI MIKE

R: Interesting stats about CFL and proposed stadiums to be possibly used for the World Cup 2026 in Canada...

One thing caught my eye-Ivor Wynne Stadium in Hamilton being re-named Tim Hortons Field...How long ago
did that happen? Was their any backlash over this from Tiger Cats fans? LI MIKE
LI Mike,

Ivor Wynne is demolished. Tim Hortons Field is across the street from where Ivor Wynne used to be. They are two different stadiums, just like Exhibition Stadium and BMO Field being different stadiums on the same location.

Ivor Wynne is demolished. Tim Hortons Field is across the street from where Ivor Wynne used to be. They are two different stadiums, just like Exhibition Stadium and BMO Field being different stadiums on the same location.
No, they're in basically the same spot, except Ivor Wynne faced east-west, and the new place will be north-south.

No, they're in basically the same spot, except Ivor Wynne faced east-west, and the new place will be north-south.

correct....Ivor Wynne was torn down, turned around and they rolled up the new Tim Horton's stadium on the same site.

I think there was very little backlash for a few reasons 1) they needed timmies money......2) a lot still view TH as a local company.....3) I believe they are calling the press box Ivor Wynne so there is still some respect for that history there.

As a soccer fan, I don't want to see this happen. It'd be a poor world cup. The distances are too big, and most of the stadiums are not good stadiums for soccer; they are mostly meant for fugly sports like American Football. The games wouldn't have the best atmosphere. Further Canada doesn't have the soccer culture and tradition to make the experience wonderful.

I also dislike the notion of having two stadiums in one city. Give one of Toronto's stadium proposals to Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge area. KWC is rapidly growing, will have rapid transportation by 2026, has the greenfield space to build a proper stadium and several nearby universities who can use the facilities afterwards. Plus it is nearby to both Hamilton+Toronto, meaning that fans can move between stadiums easily.

As a soccer fan, I don't want to see this happen. It'd be a poor world cup. The distances are too big, and most of the stadiums are not good stadiums for soccer; they are mostly meant for fugly sports like American Football. The games wouldn't have the best atmosphere. Further Canada doesn't have the soccer culture and tradition to make the experience wonderful.

I also dislike the notion of having two stadiums in one city. Give one of Toronto's stadium proposals to Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge area. KWC is rapidly growing, will have rapid transportation by 2026, has the greenfield space to build a proper stadium and several nearby universities who can use the facilities afterwards. Plus it is nearby to both Hamilton+Toronto, meaning that fans can move between stadiums easily.
Qatar will have 6 stadiums in Doha, though to be fair, Qatar is a very small country.

I see Qatar as an exception to the rule due to the realities of its size.

I actually kinda want to go to Qatar 2022. I've never been to that part of the world and don't really intend too, but under the allure and atmosphere of a World Cup it could be worth it. Especially if my team qualifies.

correct....Ivor Wynne was torn down, turned around and they rolled up the new Tim Horton's stadium on the same site.

I think there was very little backlash for a few reasons 1) they needed timmies money......2) a lot still view TH as a local company.....3) I believe they are calling the press box Ivor Wynne so there is still some respect for that history there.

TO and JA: Thanks for the info and clarification concerning Tim Hortons Field...Is there any more information on this?
Google Maps still show Ivor Wynne Stadium with the word CLOSED added...LI MIKE

There is a thread over on Big Soccer where a local guy is keeping people pretty regularly up to date on the progress of the stadium.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/new-stadium-for-hamilton.610078/

TO Fan: Thanks for this link - explaining how Tim Hortons Field was conceived and is now under construction...
I noticed that some of the promo videos show Ivor Wynne Stadium being used - obviously before the naming rights sale...
I also think that it was a good move using the same stadium site in HML...

LI MIKE

Why is it that soccer fans almost universally loathe gridiron football? It's pretty amusing to see TFC fans get all worked up about the Argos moving to BMO Field. Anyway, the distance between cities is no excuse. If professional athletes in multiple North American leagues can do it day in and day out, it shouldn't be a problem for the World Cup. Besides, the World Cup in the US had distances just as large. Two stadiums in one city isn't unheard of either. The Russian World Cup will have two stadiums in Moscow and pretty massive distances between cities too.

Why is it that soccer fans almost universally loathe gridiron football? It's pretty amusing to see TFC fans get all worked up about the Argos moving to BMO Field.

I am not sure that what is being expressed is loathing of the sport....just the notion/concern that the two sports can co-exist in the same stadium without affecting the soccer experience. I have confidence that they can....but I think I am in the minority of soccer fans and I can certainly understand the concerns of those who disagree with me.

Anyway, the distance between cities is no excuse. If professional athletes in multiple North American leagues can do it day in and day out, it shouldn't be a problem for the World Cup.

The issue is not really for the athletes....it doesn't really affect them as each group would be in cities nearby each other (eg. a group might split its games between toronto and Hamilton while another group would be Edmonton/Calgary)....I think what the distance does is affect the fan experience...it is harder (not impossible) for a visiting fan from country X to take in that Group F game in Montreal and then the next day see the group C game in Vancouver. Compare that to, say, how it would lay out in the smaller (land wise) countries of Europe.

Besides, the World Cup in the US had distances just as large. Two stadiums in one city isn't unheard of either. The Russian World Cup will have two stadiums in Moscow and pretty massive distances between cities too.

Yes, these have happened before. The one city one stadium is a FIFA preference and they would likely allow a doubling in one city or maybe two (depending on the size of the city). It is an issue around, primarily, non-sporting infrastructure like transportation, hotel rooms, etc. If Toronto had two world cup ready/qualified stadiums (currently we are a grass pitch at SkyDome away from having 1) then I bet FIFA would have no issue with Toronto being a 2 stadia city.

I am not sure that what is being expressed is loathing of the sport....just the notion/concern that the two sports can co-exist in the same stadium without affecting the soccer experience. I have confidence that they can....but I think I am in the minority of soccer fans and I can certainly understand the concerns of those who disagree with me.
Yeah I was responding to football being called "fugly", which is a sentiment I've heard a lot from soccer fans. I have no doubt that soccer and football can share BMO Field without affecting TFC. The system that's being proposed is already in use by some pretty important stadiums around the world, so there's no reason that it couldn't work here.

Yeah I was responding to football being called "fugly", which is a sentiment I've heard a lot from soccer fans. I have no doubt that soccer and football can share BMO Field without affecting TFC. The system that's being proposed is already in use by some pretty important stadiums around the world, so there's no reason that it couldn't work here.

The only hesitation I have is that the stadiums currently using it (eg Wembley) are limited use stadiums with sporadic other events. Unlike BMO, Wembley does not have a soccer tenant that plays every other week at home with a football tenant that plays in the weeks in between.

I am a faith in technology guy and am confident that they can figure it out....but there really isn't a direct/exact example of success with what is being proposed.

Back