News   Jul 26, 2024
 944     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.5K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.3K     3 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

I haven't seen the top of the Canada Trust tower or Bay-wellington tower lit in a while.

I see, so the generic tower will be complemented with a generic plaza on the ground.

Okay, since the Who is coming to Toronto on Dec 4, maybe they should keep whatever last bit of the stump up just so Daltrey + Townshend can give it one last whiz. Kind of a cornerstone dedication in reverse, I guess...
225px-Whosnext.jpg

Are we getting a little preview of what the entire complex will look like?

150.jpg

I was down there today and wondering, how does that park relate to Scotiaplaza? It would look phenomenal if the park and the tower actually lined up nicely.

Park or no Park....there is a lot of rumble that needs to be removed.

this looks like the old "acres of glass" blah to me. What do people think?

The courtyard 'park' looks really nice- perhaps a bit like the TD centre except with trees.

That's pretty brutal facadism- I wish they had made a more thoughtful attempt at incorporating it. It's almost as if they designed the building then slapped on the facade after because they had to.

The incorporation of the old facade here really is bargain-basement looking. There's no aesthetic reason for it to be there at all - it looks like a masonry decal.
I think it would have been better if they had simply moved the facade, and reconstructed it elsewhere in the city as the principal facades on a low-rise, sympathetic new structure.

They're keeping a facade at One Bedford that I think looks just as ridiculous.

Amazing what developers can get away with as long as they say they'll keep a facade to satisfy those who care about preservation.

I still don't mind the tower, but I hope the entire complex doesn't look the same.

It would've been nice if the city made them come back with something spectacular.

>Re: Official Bay Adelaide Centre Thread (UT)

Would the city even know "spectacular" if it jumped up and bit them, given how easily they settle for all this appalling facadism?

Re: >Re: Official Bay Adelaide Centre Thread (UT)

Very true. And given the conservative nature of the area and the condo/hotel market, no one should be holding their breath for "spectacular."

Re: >Re: Official Bay Adelaide Centre Thread (UT)

At least if the other modern facade would have been retained, there would have been some sort of a cohesive streetwall created, not this awkward half-assed excuse to save this building. Crappy facadism and blah architecture.

Back