News   Jul 26, 2024
 916     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.4K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.2K     3 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

That curtain wall test killed 7 people in neighbouring office buildings (remember your Coppertone). There's a story in the National Post about it this weekend.

Apparently there's a curtain wall test planned for the Sapphire site. The shadow issue has been resolved but now Harry has to answer for too much sunlight/reflection on NPS.

Was by tonight and just one main piece remains standing. Pretty cool looking.

This could be the week it finally comes down. One thin tall piece is all that remains.

Not much left of the two buildings on Bay either. They were down to three storeys last time I was by.

About time for someone to post some new photos.

Oh well....

BANov11.jpg

BANov12.jpg

BANov13.jpg

BANov14.jpg

BANov15.jpg

BANov17.jpg

I wonder how the rebuilt facade will look. Hope they do a good job.

Regarding the facade, how does that work? Do they re-use the old materials? In the same place -do they number what goes where or do they re-use the materials where ever they fit? I'm really curious.

The tough part, of course, is getting that original mortar back in.

Actually, I remember seeing some pretty bad brick patches on the facade of the building that will be reappearing, so I'm not so sure you're going to see every brick where it once was. With two of the four walls disappearing within the new tower, maybe there will be enough material left over to pick and choose from to create a close-as-possible replication. One might assume they will sandblast it all as well, revealing the original colours, and possibly making it easier to fabricate any replacement pieces that may be needed.

I imagine the stone pieces were numbered and those in good condition will appear on the rebuilt facade in the same places as they were on the old one while those in poor condition will be replicated from the same material. The original brick most likely will become fill with new brick used on the rebuilt facade

Acclaimed artist turns his attention to a downtown office development
SARAH MILROY
Globe & Mail

Internationally acclaimed American artist James Turrell, best known for his massive reconfiguration of a volcanic crater in the Arizona desert, has set his sights on downtown Toronto.

Mr. Turrell, who was in town yesterday speaking at the University of Toronto, will create a work of public art for Brookfield Properties' forthcoming Bay Adelaide Centre, a high-end office tower in the city's business district slated for completion in 2009.

While details of the artwork's final form are still to be confirmed, the piece "will be Turrell's largest public commission to date," says Toronto public art consultant Karen Mills. The budget is set at approximately $3-million.

Mr. Turrell's work will involve the installation of shifting coloured light illuminations to transform the outdoor plaza, the lobby, as well as the side supports and top of the building's exterior, transforming the edifice into a slowly shifting beacon in the downtown core.

"I am interested in the secret life of buildings at night," Mr. Turrell said yesterday in an interview, describing the way office towers transform when they glow against the night sky.

Citing such structures as Rockefeller Center or the Empire State Building in New York, he said: "In the day time they are quite modestly clothed, but at night they become something completely different."

His work for Toronto will expand on that phenomenon. The project extends a body of his work dealing with artificial illumination, but he is perhaps best known for his "skyrooms," which he has made in Dallas, Brooklyn, Seattle and elsewhere -- architectural interiors with all or a portion of the ceiling removed to admit a framed view of the sky.

These are, however, modest in comparison with his Roden Crater project, a continuing excavation and reconfiguration of a volcanic crater in the Arizona desert, which he is sculpting and interpolating with a series of chambers and passageways linked to the movement of the celestial bodies.

It's about time we took care of our buildings at night.

Knight Rise By:James Turrell
Knight_Rise_7.tif.jpg

The Toronto night-time skyline is sorely lacking in vanity lighting (one of the reasons why I love the NYC skyline is how well lit it is at night) - this would be a welcome addition to the downtown core.

Hong Kong has a crazy night-time skyline. Maybe this may be the start of something good for Toronto.

Or the start of something bad, depending on one's view of light pollution and energy waste.

Back