News   Jul 26, 2024
 889     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.4K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     3 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

^^ That's interesting, Ed, I wonder if I'm wrong. (I was speaking to Brookfield and Murray.) Thing is, the parking garage runs under both the stump and the Cloud Garden, so if they were tearing it up under the stump, they'd pretty much have to dig up the Cloud Garden too. (Otherwise, you'd be left with half a parking garage underground.)

At any rate, I guess we'll see...

^huh?

I don't see how demolishing the stump and expanding the floorplates of the parkade into the void would affect the Cloud Garden

Cool. If the economy goes really sour over the next 2 years we could have a pit where the stump once was.

At the very least, lay a Freedom Tower-type cornerstone while you can...

I don't see how demolishing the stump and expanding the floorplates of the parkade into the void would affect the Cloud Garden

I was under the impression that the parkade ran underneath both the stump and the garden opposite. So my thinking was that if you dug up the stump's foundations and destroyed the parkade I assumed was in there, you'd be left with half-a-parkade - the half under the cloud garden - unless you dug that up too.

But as I say, that was an assumption, and looking at the plans that AoD linked to, I could be way off.

That said, I still think the stump is only going to ground, or perhaps one below.

I was wondering about that too - the new tower could have a concrete core that sits on the demolished buildings' sites, but for teh second tower, it would be more difficult.

Unless there's a huge transfer beam, having a concrete core would require it to run into the parkade. On the concourse plan, you can see the remnants of the old core. I guess the second tower could also be steel frame without a concrete core.

The concourse plan indicates both the core and the total floorplate of both new towers; neither cores overlap with the stump foundation, though the edges of both towers do, slightly.

Great picture, they're moving a lot faster then I thought they would on the stump.

i find it interesting that on page 10 of the pdf they include the future location of the Cadilac Fairview office tower on their map of nearby buildings - but on the page 11 map of the path system - they don't show the path connecting to the Cadilac Fairview tower and in fact they cut off the path system at RT Hall when it actually continues west from there to Metro Hall.

IMG_8014.jpg

Pix exceed bandwidth use, Imageshack might be a better choice? Either way thanks for the up, hopefully they'll remove the limit in 24hrs so we could see again :)

November 6, 2006: The Stump continues to fall. (I thought it was about time for another update).

BANov1.jpg

BANov2.jpg

BANov3.jpg

BANov4.jpg

BANov5.jpg

Back