News   Jul 26, 2024
 916     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.4K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.2K     3 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

I would imagine after the stump is gone and demolitions complete, they would need to dig for the base underground at the Bay Street Side before construction can start in earnest. When you think about it, this is a very unusual construction project.

... involving de-constructivism, while not being Deconstructivist in style.

Can someone tell me why they weren't able to use the stump and just incorporate it into the new building?

^ It was an unfortunate mistake; it actually took them about three years of construction to realise it. There had been an embarassing metric-to-imperial conversion error, compounded by ongoing debate between the day and night shifts about which end of the plans was "up."

As soon as they realised what was going on, contruction was halted; for years, plans were mooted to hoist the stump up on jacks and move it to Yorkville, where its facade would be incorporated into a new condo, but in the end, they just couldn't get it to budge.

(somebody also told me that Brookfield's aquisition of the land on the western edge of the site, as well as the change in economic climate that a 15 years will bring, changed their plans for the site from one giant tower to three smaller ones... but I wouldn't put too much stock in that.)

Funny indeed, but not as funny as my post (less is more..?).

But funny.

Could the end of the destruction of the stump possibly come during the same week as the removal of the Metropolis hoarding. How the mighty will fall... strange days indeed.

Ah, 3D. Must we fight? I meant it as an homage, not to one-up you.

Toronto City Council has ordered a work stoppage on the Bay-Adelaide development due to a clerical error in which the stump was accorded heritage status. It is possible that the remaining pieces of the stump can be incorporated a re-designed building, but the developer will need to completely re-submit their proposal.

Sorry but it’s true. The south side of the tower will be graced with the historic stump façade. There is also talk that the city will force Pen Equity to integrate the blue hoarding into the metropolis project now that is has heritage status.

Actually, if history holds true, the proposal to put the stump or the hording on the Hertiage list would happen after the interests involved had torn either down.

AoD

Exactly. Just last week they listed the Curtain Wall Test Segment.

Even if they weren't able to incorporate it into the new design, as they were petitioned to, it would have been good to pick up at a discount. Would have made a good home decor... hang it in the living room.

Back