News   Jul 10, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 579     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 849     0 

AMC Yonge & Dundas opens at Toronto Life Square

All you have to do now is steal the hard drive or copy the data and presto you have a perfect copy of Horton Hears a Who, which incidentally is already available. The claim these files are encoded for protection but please. Security may hold up in Kansas which prevents the 16 year old usher from ripping off his employer of a copy of the film, but what do you think will happen when these digital prints circulate in China or Taiwan.

Nuff Said
Adios

Wrong. The content is encrypted. It can only be decoded by a special activation key which is specifically generated for a given projector at a given location.(unlike Blue Ray or HD, only the theater has the required hardware for a starting point to decode. Anyone who had a Blue ray player had the decoding hardware in their hands.) The data located on the shipping drives is useless until decoded. If someone should happen to open the the projector it will cause something called a CSS fault and immediately scramble the movie once again. This is all part of the Digital Cinema Initiatives system setup by studios and exhibitors.

If you want to honestly think they are using some encryption from 10 years ago then go right ahead.

Wrong. The content is encrypted. It can only be decoded by a special activation key which is specifically generated for a given projector at a given location. The data located on the shipping drives is useless until decoded. If someone should happen to open the the projector it will cause something called a CSS fault and immediately scramble the movie once again. This is all part of the Digital Cinema Initiatives system setup by studios and exhibitors.

If you want to honestly think they are using some encryption from 10 years ago then go right ahead.

Yes AMC Guy, and blu rays are fail safe too. Sounds like a mission only James Bond could handle or maybe MacGyver. Good post Eustache.

Yes AMC Guy, and blu rays are fail safe too. Sounds like a mission only James Bond could handle or maybe MacGyver. Good post Eustache.

Speaking of James Bond, I just recently watched the blu-ray release on my parents' new Pioneer plasma. It was astounding. I also saw it in the theatre, but it looked better in the blu-ray release. I'm sure I'm completely wrong and brainwashed by the shiny new digital age though. *sigh*

Hi AMC Guy, a few quick questions

I wanted to check out the stunning new 4K projection this week, I mean the 2K via 4K projection, does that make it 6 times greater than high def or 0 times greater?

The film I'm leaning towards is 21, the 9:00, 9:45, and 10:30 shows don't work for me though. Can you throw in 9:15 and 10:00 screenings also?

Does the C in AMC stand for choice?

Hi AMC Guy, a few quick questions

I wanted to check out the stunning new 4K projection this week, I mean the 2K via 4K projection, does that make it 6 times greater than high def or 0 times greater?

The film I'm leaning towards is 21, the 9:00, 9:45, and 10:30 shows don't work for me though. Can you throw in 9:15 and 10:00 screenings also?

Does the C in AMC stand for choice?

Hey, I have a quick question of my own. Do you have any friends? I can't imagine anyone could tolerate you for long, which I guess explains your furious message board rants.

Hey, I have a quick question of my own. Do you have any friends? I can't imagine anyone could tolerate you for long, which I guess explains your furious message board rants.

You're right, maybe we can meet at TLS for a frapuchino, you could help develop my social skills, I really need to loosen up and fit in.

Back to the Cinema itself

Overlooking (just for the moment) the disappointing buidling in which this cinema is encased....

I attended a screening of 21 the the day and had the following impressions.

1) The cinema looks fine; its neither as garish as Scotiabank/Paramount, nor as upmarket in appearance as the Varsity or AAC Beach.

2) It is a bit dull looking, I freely admit to a love of the older one-screens whose lobbies and auditoriums often induced a sense of grandeur or awe; now I won't judge this place by those standards, and had no such expectations, but really for the size and location of this cinema I would of liked a bit more 'wow factor'.

3) Where's the boxoffice capacity? I counted room for 4, maybe 5 box people on the main level, and about 7 ATMs on the main and the cinema level (total).

I must have missed some, Varsity, which has 5 potential ticket-sellers and 5 machines has only 2,200 seats and can have lines on a Saturday that go right to the escalator.

AMC has over 5,000 seats! Unless their cashiers are much faster, or they pull off some brilliant showtime scheduling, I predict problems.

4) Washrooms seemed nice, but again, on the small side, I only visited the lower ones, dont' know if the upper are bigger, but I question the ability of such small facilties to handle such large crowds. Are they counting on people using the foodcourt washrooms?

5) Seats are plush, comfy, have a slight rock to them, good sightlines, I found the projection and sound quality perfectly fine.

6) No Commercials before the movie (excluding trailers).... They must not have figured out how to add them yet! LOL :rolleyes:

All in all, a good, but not great cinematic experience.

OH, and too few art films; for @#$@ sake there are 24 screens and they've got Fool's Gold on.... Go grab some good content from the Carlton, whose long-suffering users were hoping to see great film in better surroundings.

Overlooking (just for the moment) the disappointing buidling in which this cinema is encased....

I squeezed my eyes shut real hard, but I just couldn't get it out of my head.

Otherwise, the place sounds like a multiplex.

OH, and too few art films; for @#$@ sake there are 24 screens and they've got Fool's Gold on.... Go grab some good content from the Carlton, whose long-suffering users were hoping to see great film in better surroundings.

Unfortunately you can forget about ever seeing any Carlton/Cumberland/ or the odd Varsity type films here. Common sense would indicate that adding 24 screens to the downtown core would open up at least some avenues of choice, at least 1 or 2 screens’ but in fact the worst possible outcome has occurred, a dictatorship of homogeneity.

New AMC Schedule
http://www.movietickets.com/house_detail.asp?house_id=10818&rdate=4/4/2008

The problem is this, Scotia and AMC Younge/Dundas cannot show the same films, they're in a competition zone. Both theatres bid for whatever run of the mill shit Hollywood spits out each week. Whichever one offers the most screens and/or longest guarantee of a theatrical run wins out. So for example Amc puts Run Fat Boy Run and Leatherheads both on 6 screens and wins the auction. Not only do they over saturate the market, but they also guarantees to show the film for a certain period of time regardless of whether the film bombs or succeeds. Run Fat Boy tanked but thanks to the wonders of this practice you can look forward to seeing it at AMC for the next 6 weeks. If you think the situation is bad now wait until summer arrives. If token mid budget product like this can flood at least 3 screens each, you can look forward to seeing Batman on 6 maybe 8 screens at either theatre. The insanity of this practice is outside the boundaries of the most basic market laws of supply and demand.

What these 2 multiplexes do will also have a negative effect on content at the 2 or 3 lowly art house theatres we have left. You can already see the effect at the Varsity, which would always squeeze in at least a couple of left field films. They're not in the AMC zone, so any content Scotia Bank loses will start appearing there to compensate for Cineplex's loss at Scotia. Even the Carlton, a facility I can't stand, will become a dumping ground for the Hollywood stuff which gets squeezed out of this new multi screen multiplex bidding war. That leaves the Cumberland and all of it's 4 screens, incidentally a theatre which has been for sale for 4 years and found no bidders, and whose owners (Alliance) was just sold to the Quebec government, who is moving most of it's staff to Montreal. How long before they pull the plug on it is anyone's guess. It is quite possible there could be a complete void of any art/independent film content in only a couple of years.

For those who think theatres are only in the business of making money and not curating art films think again. Most of this mainstream garbage fizzles out now in 2 or 3 weeks. 21 may make 20 million dollars in its first week but in its third week, its business drops 60 to 70 %. A successful specialty film may make only 5 to 10 million dollars but in it's 2nd or 3rd month it still has a high per screen average, double or triple that of a studio film. These films have a much longer shelf life. Granted they only perform well in bigger urban markets, New York, San Francisco, LA, Chicago etc…. There is definitely a market for them here too, but it will continue to be ignored, even if 2 weeks from now only 10 people a night are watching Fat Boy Run at AMC.

There's also the issue of digital projection. I won't touch upon the quality debate, something I've already beat to death, but its effect on content. People think it's only a matter of time before all films will be available in digital projection, especially if a theatre like AMC would show it. It's not as simple as that. Most American cities have specific art house chains/theatres that handle these types of film, they are an anomaly though in Canada, where Cineplex owns everything. These films do not show up in multiplexes in the US, unless it's Juno. The art house chains in the US have no incentive to go digital and their profit margins are already hanging by a thread. Remember a digital projector costs $150 000, becomes obsolete in 3 to 5 years and would not increase their business in any way. If anything many of their customers would resist the change. The billion dollar digital conversion is being paid for through a loan by investors/banks to a few multinational corporations which control the multiplexes and studios. They're betting people will pay $25 to $35 to see Alivin and the Chipmunks in 3D or Hannah Montana live in Winnipeg. In this future it won't even be an issue of film content but a convergence of content which is closer in resemblance to video games than cinema. To make a long story short, you can see the theatres which show art films are not jumping on the digital bandwagon. Therefore if you're a distributor of these films and most of your content is shown at theatres in 35mm, it makes no economic sense to encode your film digitally so a couple of Multiplexes can maybe show them,

Even if AMC wanted to allot a token 2 screens to the hot foreign film of the week it can't/won't because 9/10 times it'll only be available in 35mm. What they're doing is irrational of course, most films at the Carlton can make more money than Fat Boy on it's 3rd screen, but the money they're losing in the short term is inconsequential. It's about a long term business ideology where any convention of Cinema is not even in the vernacular. It will be imposed on you whether you like it or not, if only in the world of multiplexes, as this is the future as they see fit.

Finally there's the distribution issue. Independent distributors are an endangered species in Canada. Why bother if they're aren't any theatres that will even show your content. If you can't open a film in Toronto, what chance do you have across the Country. As I described above the situation is going to get even worse. Maximum Films, a new company Robert Lantos started, acquired the entire catalogue of IFC Films, the biggest distributor of art films in the US now. Two of its films, (Paranoid Park, Duchess of Langelais) opened at the Royal here a few weeks ago but were pushed out by the Cine Franco Festival after only a week. I went to a screening of PP and there were probably 100 people there at least, yet neither film could get picked up locally by any theatre. In Montreal Paranoid played at the AMC for weeks, but if you can't even get screens booked here, even if your film makes money, then the situation is indeed dire.

This whole issue is probably irrelevant to many here, they seem to be more interested in the aesthetic merits of Yoplait billboards and signage developments at TLS, but the Film issue is not superfluous. It represents a cultural void locally, which transcends debating the relative hideousness of TLS. They bury their heads in the sand, thinking that TLS will amount to something, anything or that AMC will make the slightest contribution here, just give it time. Keep Dreaming.

No matter what, AMC can't force people to watch a crappy movie. Just because they've guaranteed to show it for a certain number of weeks, it's not necessarily going to make them money, but if they keep betting on the wrong films, then they won't make money period. If any movie theatre just ran crappy movies, it would go out of business fast. If there's no demand for a movie, people just won't watch it.

Yet another naysayer on why the All Digital AMC experience sucks. Taken from todays Globe & Mail Review section

COMMENT: MOVIE-GOING: BRING BACK THE FLICKER

Sharper image, duller experience
RICK GROEN

April 5, 2008

I'm no technophile, don't know RAM from rum, but even my lazy eyes noticed a big difference. The difference-maker is the digital projector, the kind used exclusively at the brand-new megaplex that just opened in downtown Toronto and, if Hollywood has its way, the kind that will be coming soon to a screen near you. For the studios, the practical advantages of converting to digital are numerous and well documented: No need to ship those bulky reels of film to individual theatres; no worry that the film itself breaks down a little with every daily use (much like the filmgoer). Nope, now they can just do the shipping with an electronic click of the mouse, which also gives them far more flexibility in apportioning movies to screens. And the image remains pristine over time, just as sharp after the thousandth projection.

Ah, but what about that image, and how does it differ from the sights we grew up with, the ones that have issued over the decades from trusty variations on the same old film projector, with its reassuring whir and its diligent sprockets and its stately pace of 24 frames per second? Well, sitting in that new digiplex last week for a preview showing of 21, I not only saw the difference but - and this is where things always get a bit metaphysical - I felt it too.

The cliché suggests that film is to digital projection what vinyl is to CDs, yet, really, the visual register is more subtle than that. The digital image looks impeccable, absolutely unflawed, with the detail razor-sharp. But there's a decided flatness to the overall effect. Gone are the slight graininess of film and its barely perceptible but still-felt "flicker." It's like watching a giant HD television screen, perfect but somehow soulless, the Stepford Wife of visuals. Maybe that's why some have argued that digital projection is best suited to the blockbuster action movie, where the technology meshes neatly with the content - after all, there's scant soul in blowing stuff up and the detail would truly dazzle. However, character-driven yarns are another matter entirely - we like a little graininess in our characters, and a little flicker in their personalities.

Of course, this also gives rise to the issue of motivation: If the theatre screen has become a giant HD television, bigger but visually identical to the flat screen in your living room, then why bother to leave the house? Ah, the usual answer - movie-going is a social outing and a communal experience. But even that experience is now double-edged. Sure, for some it's still a chance to bear timely witness to a cultural event, to cheer and gasp and weep in the close company of fellow mortals. For others, though, it's degenerated to this: trudging through the cheesy midway that is your typical megaplex, vainly shushing blabbermouths who gab through the whole picture, and watching BlackBerry addicts ignore the big screen to obsess with the small. Apparently, the gods of technology giveth and taketh away.

One last thing. In that new Toronto theatre, the armrests can be folded back, like in an airplane seat, presumably to allow the option of eliminating the barrier between you and your seatmate, who may or may not be your companion. Now that's an innovation fraught with exciting potential for good and for ill, but this much is clear: Soulless it ain't.

I got a taste of digital and i ain't going back :D

Will be awesome to have the food court so nearby to grab a snack while waiting for the movie to start.

By the way, does it seem to anyone else that "Eustache" registered just to take a dump on this opening of AMC theatres? I mean, he puts a lot of effort into his long droning rants and there is a hint of hatred and desparation in them. Hmmm, the opening of AMC gonna hit somebody in the pocketbook? Cineplex employee? :p

Why else would anybody care that much? Seriously. lol.

Back