News   Jul 10, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 580     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 851     0 

AMC Yonge & Dundas opens at Toronto Life Square

Yet another naysayer on why the All Digital AMC experience sucks. Taken from todays Globe & Mail Review section

COMMENT: MOVIE-GOING: BRING BACK THE FLICKER

Sharper image, duller experience
RICK GROEN

April 5, 2008

I actually do agree with points this article makes. Some movies benefit from the grain and flicker of film, whereas big in-your-face blockbusters are a perfect fit for the new digital theatres. Luckily we still have a choice, as film and digital theatres still co-exist. When the latest fancy in-your-face blockbuster comes out, I'll probably catch it in all its perfectly sharp glory at TLS, as I admittedly enjoy a number of them.

Seeing as some people hate the new digital films, and some "will never go back" to film it really comes down to an aesthetics thing. Luckily we have destinations in the city for any taste in movies. As for a disappointment of TLS becoming a big showy square, with chain restaurants, mall-esque shops and digital projection, well what did people expect? That's essentially what the area is. I always say to people if they don't like it, don't go there. That's the beauty of Toronto, there are places and things for everyone.

Myself, personally, I like the variety. I'm perfectly happy watching a new Hollywood digitally projected movie and having Subway/whatever one day, and then heading out to the more unique strips along Queen, College or wherever else the next day. Honestly though, I haven't been seeing many movies lately so I'm not as up to date with the status of theatres catering to more independent and smaller releases, I'm more of a music/concert go-er, which is where I get into the "eustache-picky" territory.

I attended my first movie at the TLS AMC and I was impressed. The interior wasn’t tacky like Silvercity, the seats were very comfortable and the digital picture was great. The free popcorn was also a nice touch.

Luckily we still have a choice, as film and digital theatres still co-exist. When the latest fancy in-your-face blockbuster comes out, I'll probably catch it in all its perfectly sharp glory at TLS, as I admittedly enjoy a number of them.

Luckily we have destinations in the city for any taste in movies.

Contrast and Compare

Montreal whose English population is under 200 000 has 3 English language cinemas. Like Toronto it has Scotiabank and an AMC in the heart of its downtown core, no more than 15 minutes apart from each other. They cannot share content, share the same screen difference as here, and the Montreal AMC is even encased in its own TLS style aberration, (The Forum). Sound familiar?

Montreal AMC Schedule
http://www.cinemaclock.com/aw/ctha.aw/que/Montreal/e/AMC_Forum_22.html

Toronto AMC
http://www.movietickets.com/house_detail.asp?exid=amc&house_id=10818&rdate=04/11/2008&edata=mw_home

Why can Montreal's AMC show Nims Island but also show 16 different films over the past two weeks that have appeared or are appearing at the Carlton, Varsity, Cumberland, and even Rep Houses like Royal & Bloor?

Why then is AMC intent on running a multiplex suiting Barrie more than Toronto?
1) Digital Projection, none of these smaller releases are available in digital format, which begets the question of why AMC Dundas made the asinine decision to go All Digital in All 24 auditoriums
2) They are intent on outbidding Scotiabank at all costs, and I mean all costs. There isn't a theatre in all of North America (including other AMC's) stupid enough to put a flop like Leatherheads on 4 (5 in the evening) screens, even in Downtown LA or New York. It's simply financial suicide.

The AMC in Montreal understands this principle, if only 1000 people a night see Prom Night, you won't make more money by dividing that crowd by five screens. You need smaller films to fill out the other screens, it simply makes financial sense. In fact this theatre is thriving because of this decision. This is choice in the true sense of the word, where every type of demographic is catered to.

So then, the Dundas AMC has 10 films on 24 screens this week, a ratio that has been decreasing every week since they opened. But why do I care, if I don't like this multiplex there's other places I can go to see what I want to see, right. This isn't the case. Their asinine practices are having cancerous effects on the climate of film distribution here, at all theatres, destroying the little diversity we once had. The choice will soon be no choice at all.

Before AMC there’s been one Cinema built in the last 20 years (Scotia) in Toronto. Apart from the Lightbox there won’t be any more built in the downtown core. Land, taxes, and building costs are simply too exorbitant and the business is fraught with too much risk. The old relics like the Cumberland & Carlton are also on their last legs and may vanish anytime soon. So, like it or not the AMC was the last hope to change the tide of the abysmal film distribution climate here, instead it’s now become a comedy of horrors. This city simply deserves something better than this homogenous monstrosity which AMC has begat.

Speaking of "Cineplex", it may be worth noting that in the US, AMC bought Loews Cineplex. Cineplex Odeon is separate of course. But that should give you an idea of how big AMC really is.

So, like it or not the AMC was the last hope to change the tide of the abysmal film distribution climate here, instead it’s now become a comedy of horrors. This city simply deserves something better than this homogenous monstrosity which AMC has begat.

If AMC's programming strategy fails, they'll change their programming. If it thrives, well, we're stuck with it.

Anyone seen a movie there lately? I walked by it last week but it wasn't very busy, around 5 pm on a weekday. There were people there though, just didn't seem like many.

With Ryerson right behind them and a lot of single professionals in the area it's definitely possible they can attract an audience.

Maybe later in the evening, but students have class and young professionals have work. Most people just want to go home once they are done.

Maybe later in the evening, but students have class and young professionals have work. Most people just want to go home once they are done.

As a young professional I've noticed people are more willing to go out on weekdays than they used to be. University students are a different breed. Many have days off in the middle of the week and/or 3-4 day weekends. If you ask a lot of students they may say they wouldn't do it, but the fact that it's right on campus should be an added incentive for people.

As a young professional I've noticed people are more willing to go out on weekdays than they used to be. University students are a different breed. Many have days off in the middle of the week and/or 3-4 day weekends. If you ask a lot of students they may say they wouldn't do it, but the fact that it's right on campus should be an added incentive for people.

I am a student, at Ryerson and can say that not a single person I have talked to about it has even thought about going during school hours. Even I wouldn't. There are other things we need to work on while at school and on our days off, we dont come to school unless we have to. Dont forget, Ryerson students are commuters. We all have theatres at home.

Montreal whose English population is under 200 000 has 3 English language cinemas.

200 000 ? Closer to 700 000. If you take into consideration bilingual Montrealars who would go see a movie in english, it's well over a million, easily.

Back