News   Jul 10, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 547     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 785     0 

AMC Yonge & Dundas opens at Toronto Life Square

For their first month, they sure are sucking big time. I understand the negotiations need to take place for new films, but I and a friend tried to go catch a movie there tonight and all their movies were months old... none of the new movies we had on our wish list were playing.

There were also only a handful of people buying tickets.... not a good way to start...

Give it a little more time. Summer films begin to roll out in a two weeks so let's see how they fare in May.

200 000 ? Closer to 700 000. If you take into consideration bilingual Montrealars who would go see a movie in english, it's well over a million, easily.

Cited from Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal

The official language of Montreal is French as defined by the city's charter.[8][9] It is among the five largest French-speaking cities in the world. As of the 2006 Canadian Census, 1,620,693 people resided in the city of Montreal proper.[In the census metropolitan area, French is the language most spoken at home by 70.5% of the population (as of 2006 census)

Among the 500 000 who do not speak french at home, surely at least half are immigrants who speak neither french or english as a first language. 700 000 anglos ?????? The last time you had this many Anglophones in Montreal was in Expo 67 (1967)

Among the 500 000 who do not speak french at home, surely at least half are immigrants who speak neither french or english as a first language. 700 000 anglos ?????? The last time you had this many Anglophones in Montreal was in Expo 67 (1967)
According to Stats Canada there are 3,588,520 people in the Montréal CMA, of which over 450,000 have an English mother tongue (compared to over 2,350,00 that have French).

But over 2,100,000 report that they can speak English. About 650,000 report that they they often speak English at home.

I know many francophones who prefer watching movies in English, rather than the awful dubbing. The same way many Anglophones prefer watching French movies in French - or at least with subtitles, because of the dubbing. (remember that most American movies in Québec are only offered with dubbing, and not with sub-titles).

According to Stats Canada there are 3,588,520 people in the Montréal CMA, of which over 450,000 have an English mother tongue (compared to over 2,350,00 that have French).

But over 2,100,000 report that they can speak English. About 650,000 report that they they often speak English at home.

I know many francophones who prefer watching movies in English, rather than the awful dubbing. The same way many Anglophones prefer watching French movies in French - or at least with subtitles, because of the dubbing. (remember that most American movies in Québec are only offered with dubbing, and not with sub-titles).

True. Also, independant american movies are very often release only in english, so they attract any one who can understand english on the island, including francophones who are bilingual.

amc.com

"War Inc." proves AMC will program film other than standard Hollywood fare.

I finally got to watch a movie at AMC TLS tonight.

I was impressed with the size of the place. The cleaniliness also stood out. I liked the common areas which use nice finishings that are classy and simple without looking cheap. It felt like a 4 star hotel in places. The bathrooms are quite nice and completely hand-touch-free.
The projection of the film was definitely ahead of what I'm used to with film and the seats and their layout no doubt furthered the experience to an even more positive note.

The best analogy I can think of is that Paramount is like kids going to a nightclub while AMC is like adults going to a jazz lounge. It's a more adult theatre and I think it'll be the one I'll go to from now on.

For Showtimes

http://www.movietickets.com

Note: When selecting a theater scroll all the way down to the Toronto Area listing near the bottom and Yonge & Dundas 24 is listed in there.

Theater will also be installing 4x 35mm projectors

Send those 35mm projectors expedited. Bypassing the film/digital debate I simply can't understand the the folly of this theatre's buisness stategy. A month has gone buy and they've managed to secure 1 film (Iron Man). The rest of the screens are filled out by whatever junk Scotia Bank drops in a given week, its lowest box office performer. Scotia has already secured Narnia, Indiana Jones, & Sex & the City leaving AMC Dundas empty handed for the next month until they can put a token blockbuster on 12 screens. Oh yeah they got Short and Male this week, a doc about short guys.

Apart from Iron Man most of the films playing there have long ago been dropped by cookie cutter multiplexes. The per screen average of the Bank Job this week is $500 for crying out loud. Meanwhile art films that can earn them 10 times that amount are ignored because they're only available in 35mm. The programming is so abysmally bad that it long ago ceased to be funny. If there is any sense to this theatre's modus operandi, it's way over my head. 24 screens and not a thing to see.

The best analogy I can think of is that Paramount is like kids going to a nightclub while AMC is like adults going to a jazz lounge. It's a more adult theatre and I think it'll be the one I'll go to from now on.

If you look at any Famous Players that were built between 1996 and 2003 before
the Cineplex takeover, they usually cater to kids.

Back