News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.9K     2 

All aboard for more subways

Subways can make streetlife more vibrant than streetcars because they can move more people into an area. The eyes are ultimately on the different parts of the street as people walk from the station to their destination like a store or restaurant. To counter the argument that 'streetcars allow people to notice businesses along a street', I say that the speed and convenience of subways makes people more responsive to advertising that a business is on the subway.

This "subway only produces nodes and highrises" argument is total crap. The nodes at, for example, Yonge & Sheppard have NOTHING to do with the subway and EVERYTHING to do with the city planning dept. The city could have choose to limit the growth to mid rise but choose not to, note the word choose.

The Sheppard line is actually perfect evidence for my point. Go to the corner of Sheppard and Willowdale. Despite being on a subway line, it is still nothing but low rise and strip malls. By contrast Bayview now has a crowded node of skyscrapers.

Once they decided on a subway, the city had no options here. When you choose to build a subway you can't logically zone for midrises. The Sheppard line, even with the towers, is underutilized and proving a financial burden on the city. If the nodes at Bayview and Leslie had been zoned for a lower density, the ridership would be even lower, and it would be costing the city even more. The city also needs the increased density to cover the capital costs of the subway. If because of the stop spacing developers have no interest in rebuilding areas like Sheppard and Willowdale, the only option for the city is to allow skyscrapers at the stations.

Subways can make streetlife more vibrant than streetcars because they can move more people into an area. The eyes are ultimately on the different parts of the street as people walk from the station to their destination like a store or restaurant. To counter the argument that 'streetcars allow people to notice businesses along a street', I say that the speed and convenience of subways makes people more responsive to advertising that a business is on the subway.

Yea along Bloor and Danforth there are many more pedestrians around throughout the entire length of it as opposed to other streets like College or Dundas.

But why? It seems pretty clear that subways to to a degree reduce street life, and this counters her basic premise.

Stop focusing so much on street-life. The whole jist of what she was saying is that the expressways are the problem. When you think of jacobs, think of the highways and opposition to them. She was not a tram supporter. By no means did she ever advocate tram over metro.
Her rhetoric does actually support metros. Her ideal thing would be to have no highways whatsoever - and then where would those people go - try cramming them all into a tram - metro is the only alternative.

Why do you ignore the larger cities on the list? Take Frankfurt, a metro area of 5.6 million. It has daily subway ridership of 300,000, about a third Toronto's. Instead it uses trams. Or take Munich with a metro population of 5.2 million. Munich has similar subway ridership to the Toronto system that we think of as so inadequate. The big difference again is a much larger tram system. Vienna, Amsterdam, and Copenhagen are a bit smaller, but follow the same pattern of a high tram to subway ratio.

We tend to compare Toronto to much larger cities like London, New York, Paris, and Tokyo, but Toronto isn't a city with a 20 million people metro area. Those much larger cities are all subway based, but in truth Toronto is much closer population wise to tram based cities like Frankfurt or Melbourne.

You do not even address my point as to why do you pick those tiny hamlets!
Frankfurt - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_Germany_with_more_than_100,000_inhabitants - it has under a million. End of story. Small.
Melbourne - that city is bellow the list. You compare us to something worse? Jee, howabout looking at hm, lets see, the capital of Gabon or Zambia?!
Munich - how dare you even mention them? They are a much smaller city than toronto - with a metro system that is significantly larger and significantly newer.
Vienna - Also significantly smaller than toronto. But despite its much smaller size - less than half - its metro system is very extensive, and was first opened in the second half of the seventies.
Copenhagen - half a million people... what the hell? Why? Why? Why man? Why?!?!?! COME ON MAN, HAVE MERCY, I BEG YOU!!!

Sorry, had a small break down, it's just so mind boggling to me how the hell can one compare such small cities. But lets look at copenhagen for a minute or two. They have a very extensive regional rail system. VERY extensive. But even over that they built a metro system which was opened in 2002 - and it's only gonna expand.

Please man, have mercy. Really. Spare us the apples and oranges crap. If you really want to be like that, then lets compare london, hamilton, regina, and subbury to toronto. I would be so ashamed if I were you.

We tend to compare Toronto to much larger cities

But you compare them with much smaller ones. London is not a 20 million person city. London is about 10. Moscow is about 10.

I got one for you. Berlin. And they have TWO metro systems, the S bahn and U bahn, and boy are those huge - both of those dwarf our miserable thing here.
Or howabout St. Petersburg?

Cities all over europe that are much smaller than Toronto have systems that blow us out of the water - like Stockholm for example. Cities that are the same or similar size blow Toronto away so bad, like Berlin. Or even the bigger ones - just cut their system lenghts in half - and you will see how many times bigger they still are than this miserable little system that we have.

Or you can compare toronto to failures like st. louis, minniapolis, and hmm... nowheresville.

Jane Jacobs was a big supporter of Toronto's streetcar system - the Jane Jacobs award in 2005 went to Steve Munro for his part in saving Toronto's streetcars.

But from who was she saving them - from the Automobile.
She was not advocating their expansion to be a priority over metro expansion.
When you think of her name think of someone who opposes the auto.

Like I said, fixated on one technology. Which, in your case leads to a general ignorance of transit in general.

So you are proposing that it does not stop at the lights. That can be done by either slowing it down or making it fully separated - and you may as well pay a little bit more to make it a real metro if you are gonna go through the trouble of making it separated.

That's your opinion. My opinion(and conincidently most credible transit planners), is that Sheppard is not a success, but rather an expensive mistake. I am not going to deny 50,000 riders isn't a lot, but that translates to around 5,000pph? Far below the minimunm threshold of a subway. If the subway was such a success, it should be attracting more riders, even in it's truncated state. The intermediate stations are barely used, especially Leslie, considering the hospital nearby.

Tell them to go eat some b.s.
It is totally a success. It would be an even bigger one if it were bigger - the short distance limits it.
I will not look at how much what translates to. Its ridership has exploded since it was opened. The only logical thing is to expand it to downsview (and later to jane), and eastwards to STC. We need rapid transit in toronto, a real alternative to the car.
The ridership at bayview is almost 8,000 - that is quite outstanding. Leslie has five and a half.

Tell you what - howabout you go about closing stations that have less than bayview. Close chester, the old mill - heck, replace the lines with tram lines. That would make the tram-addicts quite happy. Here's the new report on ridership - get your plan ready now, because this insane and blind love for trams is like a fanatic religious zeal.
http://www3.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/Subway_ridership_2008-2009.pdf

To cap things off ...

... building subways for profit is a very sad thing. All those huge systems in europe - they would not be anything like they are if they used this narrow thinking. Those few that did, like Belgrade, are a failure in terms of transportation. They can shit on their 100+km of tram - it does not alleviate traffic. That is why all over europe metro systems are being expanded, built, or planned.

We are in a different position here. We have been put up against the wall and have been drained thanks to neoliberalism. What we have for examples are the failures of the US - and that I regret is what we are going to be at the best.

That is a good rebuttal to my argument. The busiest centres for street life, like Yonge and Dundas or Yonge and Bloor wouldn't exist without the subway. A vibrant city needs nodes like that, and only a subway can provide them.

That said, I don't think there is any need or desire to turn Sheppard East or Eglinton West into a new Yonge and Dundas. My ideal, and I think most people's dream, is for those areas to become more like Queen West, Roncesvalles, Little Italy, or the Beaches. All areas that are built around streetcars.

I would also say that there are some very dead stretches along the subway. Such as Bloor between Church and the river, or all of Danforth east of Greenwood. I don't think there are any areas along the major streetcar routes that are quite as barren as those.

Didn't Miller run on an election platform of building LRT, and did he not win against a candidate who proposing subways? Interesting, the packed public transit coalition meeting says otherwise. The canvassing at subway stations say otherwise. People want TRANSIT.
It was hardly a fleshed-out proposal like Transit City, and transit in general was nothing close to major issue in that campaign.

How about we see one or both of the main TC political architects take the courage of their convictions to the voters this fall? Running away from the plan isn't exactly my idea of great salesmanship, and public address announcements from our leader on high is a pathetic substitute.

How does it miss the point? Jane Jacobs supported people on the street, she opposed things that took people off the street (like the PATH and Eaton Centre). I don't think she ever argued against subways, (she says nothing for or against them in Death and Life, but I do think it is a reasonable extrapolation from her philosophy.
Since we're in extrapolation mode, taking that "reasonable" extrapolation further must mean that we have to rip out all of our subways since they all stink, right?

The Sheppard line is actually perfect evidence for my point. Go to the corner of Sheppard and Willowdale. Despite being on a subway line, it is still nothing but low rise and strip malls. By contrast Bayview now has a crowded node of skyscrapers.

Once they decided on a subway, the city had no options here. When you choose to build a subway you can't logically zone for midrises. The Sheppard line, even with the towers, is underutilized and proving a financial burden on the city. If the nodes at Bayview and Leslie had been zoned for a lower density, the ridership would be even lower, and it would be costing the city even more. The city also needs the increased density to cover the capital costs of the subway. If because of the stop spacing developers have no interest in rebuilding areas like Sheppard and Willowdale, the only option for the city is to allow skyscrapers at the stations.
Would have helped if the planned stop near Sheppard and Willowdale had been built.

Stop focusing so much on street-life. The whole jist of what she was saying is that the expressways are the problem. When you think of jacobs, think of the highways and opposition to them. She was not a tram supporter. By no means did she ever advocate tram over metro.

Have you read Jacob's books? You are totally misunderstanding her arguments. Her opposition to expressways grew out of her advocacy of street life and vibrant communities. Her entire philosophy is based around the need for healthy neighbourhoods and active streets. While in practice this most prominently took the form of opposition to new expressways, that was only an outgrowth of her underlying views about street life.

You do not even address my point as to why do you pick those tiny hamlets!
Frankfurt - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_Germany_with_more_than_100,000_inhabitants - it has under a million. End of story. Small.
Munich - how dare you even mention them? They are a much smaller city than toronto - with a metro system that is significantly larger and significantly newer.

I think you need to do some more research here. Saying Frankfurt has less than a million people would have been like saying that Toronto had only 2 million in 1996. Metro population figures are the most important here. Frankfurt metro has 5.6 million. Munich has 5.2 million . This is right around Toronto's metro pop of 5.1 million.

This argument is going nowhere. We all agree that we need rapid transit and improved quality and reliability. The technology choice debate will go on forever as we can never satisfy everyone. I think instead of arguing about technology we should brainstorm ideas about how to best pay for all the needed capital expansion nut also the operating funding. We need to demand politicians commit to funding transit and not just bamboozle us with hollow promises of riding lines that will never be built due to lack of stable funding.

I do think it's great that all the candidates have recognized the importance of transit in this election, despite any misgivings I might have about their particular strategies.

The Toronto Urban Area is like 4.7 while the Munich Metro Area is 2.6 million. Significantly smaller. As you are fond of wikipedia, do look into their metro, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_Metro - you can see just how outstanding it is. Significantly bigger for a significantly smaller city.
Frankfurt's urban area is 2.3 million. Half the size. The Metro has just as many stops as Toronto's does - but is a only a little bit smaller - because it is newer.

Now lets look at a city that is really comparable to Toronto. I dare you. Berlin. Man, I can see you trembling to even dare compare their monster metro system to our measly one here. Heck, I'll make it easy for you - compare only one of their two metro systems. Mauahahahaha. It blows this primitive thing out of the water. The S Bahn is 331 km, and the U Bahn is 147 km. The combined number of stations is almost 340... we indeed see what "superior" means.

But yo, why not compare some miserable place like um Donetsk, Zagreb or Belgrade? Poor places. Little prospects. But, OOOH LOOK, they have trams, lets emulate them! Shithole Sofia was too poor to build Metros untill recently... instead they made 300 km of tram lines. But even with all those pesky trams they still opted for massive metro expansion. And their size is only like a million. Eastern Europe surpassing us? Ha, that'll be the day, we used to think... used to think... it's turning into reality.

Have you read Jacob's books? You are totally misunderstanding her arguments. Her opposition to expressways grew out of her advocacy of street life and vibrant communities. Her entire philosophy is based around the need for healthy neighbourhoods and active streets. While in practice this most prominently took the form of opposition to new expressways, that was only an outgrowth of her underlying views about street life.

Nope, but the problem is that you can not claim that she wanted trams. As was said some posts before, she never advocated anything like TC, nor would she. TC is ridiculous. I suggest that you look at european cities of equal or greater size as examples for what toronto should follow.

I think you need to do some more research here. Saying Frankfurt has less than a million people would have been like saying that Toronto had only 2 million in 1996. Metro population figures are the most important here. Frankfurt metro has 5.6 million. Munich has 5.2 million . This is right around Toronto's metro pop of 5.1 million.

Metro population of Toronto includes all of GTA. Transit City is not designed for Metro Toronto, it's designed for Toronto. Toronto has a population of 2.5 million and that's the population that has to be taken into account, same as Frakfurt, 0.6 million.

The technology choice debate will go on forever as we can never satisfy everyone. I think instead of arguing about technology we should brainstorm ideas about how to best pay for all the needed capital expansion nut also the operating funding.

The technology debate is a debate about funding, at least in part. I don't think that anyone, including TC advocates, would argue that, all things being equal, subways wouldn't be preferable in most cases. But all things, especially funding, are not equal, and the city cannot afford being saddled with a system that it can't afford to build, can't afford to run, and that has vastly more capacity than is necessary. TC is a realistic, pragmatic option for the city -- building a subway system on a similar scale is a financial fantasy.

Jane Jacobs was a big supporter of Toronto's streetcar system - the Jane Jacobs award in 2005 went to Steve Munro for his part in saving Toronto's streetcars.

Lucky us. :rolleyes:

Metro population of Toronto includes all of GTA. Transit City is not designed for Metro Toronto, it's designed for Toronto. Toronto has a population of 2.5 million and that's the population that has to be taken into account, same as Frakfurt, 0.6 million.

The Frankfurt metro serves many distant towns, such as Oberursel. The subway there serves the entire metropolitan population of 5.6 million. Thus the comparison is even worse for us, since you are right and the Toronto subway and transit city only serve the inner 2.5 million. Frankfurt with almost double the population covered by subway, does fine with a less extensive system than Toronto.

Now lets look at a city that is really comparable to Toronto. I dare you. Berlin. Man, I can see you trembling to even dare compare their monster metro system to our measly one here. Heck, I'll make it easy for you - compare only one of their two metro systems. Mauahahahaha. It blows this primitive thing out of the water. The S Bahn is 331 km, and the U Bahn is 147 km. The combined number of stations is almost 340... we indeed see what "superior" means.

Berlin does have a very impressive subway, but they are below Toronto on the livability index. Berlin is also far below all its tram based German neighbours. Maybe if they had invested less in subways and more in trams they would be higher?

As to Jane Jacobs on subways, it turns out she didn't much like them. Here is a passage from an article in the Toronto Star from 1971, when the northern extension of the Spadina line was being debated:

"On the witness stand she startled the Spadina hearing by totally damning the Spadina rapid transit line. She is a gray-haired lady with grown children and a very pleasant smile and she comes on with a soft clear voice that has just a trace of acid in it. She said that she couldn't imagine a better way to bankrupt a public transportation system than to build the Spadina subway."

Back