News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.9K     2 

All aboard for more subways

I just dont understand why the pro subway ppl are arguing about any of TC the lines being subway over lrt other then the SRT conversion. To be sure the danforth line should be extended as a subway. Otherwise the only subway expansion I see needed is the DRL but thats not even a part of TC. Eglinton west of Jane and East of Don Mills is very Suburban. So I cant imagine how a Full subway makes sense accross the entire city. Sure ppl could argue about sheppard but others could as easily argue that sheppard should have been lrt from the beginning.

IS there anything other then the RT and DLR which is crutial to be SUBWAY??????

The fact that DRL is not part of TC is part of the problem and part of why SOS was formed. Eglinton is fine because it's grade separated and now a lot of the above-ground portion is being cut anyway. Sheppard needs to be subway or BRT if we can't afford subway. No point putting in LRT there whatsoever.

I take Fresh start seriously. Just because he offers alternative views doesn't make him wrong or right but allows us all to see different view points. If you don't agree with someone fine but let's keep the personal comments out of it.
Toronto must set priorities and that means doing certain lines right the first time and worry about the other's later. Eglinton is essenial and must be given top priority and money and if that means cancelling or greatly delaying other lines then so be it.
Eglinton must have total grade separation from Pearson to at least Kennedy to make it a mass/rapid transit route. The TTC has to grab balls and inform everyone that you can't expect the station within 2 blocks. 40 stops for 33 km is absurd. At most it should be 25 with more in the Bayview/Dufferin and then 1 to 2 km for the rest. People gravitate to subways because they are fast and reliable so Eglinton must be the same. It doesn't have to be subway but it must have no road contact and be able to be automated. Vancouver's 3 SkyTrain routes are all automated and it saves them a small fortune every year in labour costs. That money saved they spend else where. That means telling the TTC union where to go. The TTC is a transit authority not a make-work project.
Eglinton first, then finish the Sheppard to STC in the east and Spadina in the west. The ENTIRE Sheppard extension can be elevated/trench. After these are done then it's time for DRL and figure out what to do with the SRT.
None of the elevated sections should be coming in at over $150 km and if they do then heads should roll.

I take Fresh start seriously. Just because he offers alternative views doesn't make him wrong or right but allows us all to see different view points. If you don't agree with someone fine but let's keep the personal comments out of it.
Toronto must set priorities and that means doing certain lines right the first time and worry about the other's later. Eglinton is essenial and must be given top priority and money and if that means cancelling or greatly delaying other lines then so be it.
Eglinton must have total grade separation from Pearson to at least Kennedy to make it a mass/rapid transit route. The TTC has to grab balls and inform everyone that you can't expect the station within 2 blocks. 40 stops for 33 km is absurd. At most it should be 25 with more in the Bayview/Dufferin and then 1 to 2 km for the rest. People gravitate to subways because they are fast and reliable so Eglinton must be the same. It doesn't have to be subway but it must have no road contact and be able to be automated. Vancouver's 3 SkyTrain routes are all automated and it saves them a small fortune every year in labour costs. That money saved they spend else where. That means telling the TTC union where to go. The TTC is a transit authority not a make-work project.
Eglinton first, then finish the Sheppard to STC in the east and Spadina in the west. The ENTIRE Sheppard extension can be elevated/trench. After these are done then it's time for DRL and figure out what to do with the SRT.
None of the elevated sections should be coming in at over $150 km and if they do then heads should roll.

The stop spacing you're proposing is akin to Sheppard. I would think that Bloor-Danforth-esque stop spacing on the Eglinton would be appropriate. Most of the streets that intersect Bloor-Danforth intersect Eglinton anyways (some under different names, some with a different street but in basically the same location E-W), so I don't expect the stop spacing to be drastically different from B-D.

I do however disagree with your logic that Eglinton should be first (and those other projects following it). I think the DRL (for the reasons mentioned previously by other members on this board) should be at the top of the list, or at least should open in tandum with Eglinton.

The second one on the list, purely for logistical reasons, is the B-D extension to STC. Using a Danforth-McCowan alignment to reach STC, the SRT can remain in full operation until the minute that the subway opens, and would not require a rebuild of Kennedy station. Given the fact that the SRT is at the end of its theoretical lifespan in 2015, that's #2 in my books.

So that makes Eglinton #3, which I do agree is more important than any of the lines being proposed in TC. With the DRL, B-D to STC, Eglinton to Pearson and Don Mills, and TYSSE, every part of Toronto (except for a few areas, most notably southern Etobicoke), would see a rise in service quality. Etobicoke gets Eglinton, and dramatically reduced bus trip times to the subway. Northern Etobicoke as the option of either going south to Eglinton or east to TYSSE. Scarborough gets to build a true rapid transit hub at STC, and removes at least 1 transfer from any Scarberian's trip. And those people downtown get less crowded streetcar routes, and options to transfer from the streetcars to the DRL before they even reach downtown.

It may not be an ideal plan, but nearly everybody in the city benefits from it. You don't have to live right on a subway or LRT line to see benefit from it. The system just has to readjust itself accordingly, and people would see benefits in the way of shortened bus trips, less crowded subways, more options in terms of which subway to go onto, and more options while on the subway to avoid over-crowded areas (ie more ways of avoiding Bloor-Yonge).

Toronto must set priorities and that means doing certain lines right the first time and worry about the other's later.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
- Albert Einstein

I don't let what the LRTistas have to say affect me. It all just rolls off my back like dust. Thanks for your support though. We may not see eye to eye on which technology mode's right for Toronto's future transit expansion but I wholeheartedly agree that Eglinton's right-of-way must be grade-separated the whole length be it in a trench, on an elevated guideway or underground. Miller is now irrelevant and will soon be out of the picture. And Metrolinx, these people are just another "blue-ribbon panel" of consultants appointed by their cronies. Their qualifications are dubious at best. What Torontonians need is to examine Transit City plans for ourselves. As far as I can tell, the only people who seriously want trams are politicians. Big lumbering hulks that impede traffic and will clog major arterial roads like Sheppard Ave is something our city does not need. In our climate, we need subways.

We really do not need 50 stops from Pearson Airport to Kingston Rd. That's overkill. Let a parallel bus route pick up some of the slack. In my opinion, revitalizing the Eglinton West stubway from the 90s is a first good step, only this time we keep the spacing at Bloor-Danforth levels by adding in new stops at Oakwood and Gabian Way. This would also allow us to build a Mount Dennis mobility hub where BRT, local bus, commuter-rail, kiss n' ride, and eventually the DRL would all converge. It's sure to be a pricy piece of infrastructure, but a great long-term investment for the whole region.

As for Sheppard I don't understand myself why a subway must be tunneled all the way to Scarborough Centre. The line could easy well run along an elevated guideway parallel to the 401 east of Kennedy. Likewise the Eglinton subway could run elevated through Scarborough and Etobicoke and there's land availability for it in many locations en route.

Back