News   Jul 05, 2024
 76     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 583     8 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 378     0 

650 Bay St Boutique Hotel Redevelopment (Lanterra, ?s, ?)

We have scaffolding

dscf0688q.jpg

This project just seems so odd. I can only hypothesize that whoever owns this thing is "revitalizing" it slowly enough such that when someone inevitably burns it down the insurance will more then compensate him for the tiles or whatever the hell they are that have been glued-on to the facade.

One of my neighbours got this info from the City:

650 Bay St., has a municipal address of 55 Elm St.

Currently there are two building permits for this building.

Permit # 11 188652 BLD , was issued on June 2/2011 and is for interior alterations.

The other building permit, permit # 11 245945 Bld, which was issued on August 10/2011 covers interior alterations to create a restaurant under 30 seats at the ground floor level.

The exterior work which consists of repair work to the existing brickwork, installation of new windows in existing openings and installation of new tile cladding to the exterior of the east and north elevations does not require a building permit.

A permit # 54549001 has been obtained from Transportation Services Right-Away to erect scaffold, for overhead protection of the pedestrian sidewalk at the east and north side of this building while the exterior work is taking place.

i now believe it is all a conspiracy to hack the building beyond restoration, have it sold to a developer that wont have much problem getting a future demolition permit for that and the so and so converted houses next door.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ LOL, I actually wouldn't mind that. This would be the opposite method of the Empress Hotel for redeveloping an old building. Instead of torching it, they're actually putting in money to set up scaffolding and semi-clad it. Although 650 Bay and the adjacent houses are historical, they are expendable IMO.

They started repainting the bricks on the upper half of the building. I didn't have my camera, but there are no words to describe the result.

^^^ there's not enough words to describe this total train wreck.

I'm surprised that they actually got permits to do the work.

Back