News   Jul 05, 2024
 319     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 734     11 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 420     0 

650 Bay St Boutique Hotel Redevelopment (Lanterra, ?s, ?)

This building is so increasingly bizarre it is beginning to take the form of performance art. If it re-opens, this hotel should be re-named the Kaufman or the Duchamp.

Or maybe even better, with a little backhanded nod to what used to be across the street and a little south: the Ford Hotel. (Rob or Doug; it's your choice)

How has this *not* yet been brought up?

strangebrew.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/images/pics/strangebrew.jpg

Last edited:
Heh, I call them "Bob & Doug" all the time. Though this pair would probably be better suited for the job.

Anyways, what they're doing to this building is just atrocious. This is why heritage preservation in the city is a joke. We either let buildings rot (199/205 Yonge) or let them be burnt to the ground by their owners to save a penny (Empress Hotel), or demolish them and slap a cheesy facade on a new condo (One Bedford). Sometimes the facadism is done well (1KW, BAC), but overall it's small losses like this that take such huge hits on the history/aesthetics of the city in the long run.

Then again, it isn't as if similar-or-worse things happen to buildings of similar calibre in Montreal or NYC or Chicago or wherever. Just being fair...

Then again, it isn't as if similar-or-worse things happen to buildings of similar calibre in Montreal or NYC or Chicago or wherever. Just being fair...

Not to this scale though. I've been to all 3 and their historic destruction doesn't even approach ours. Yes NYC lost the Singer Building, and Chicago has lost a lot, but buildings like the Tribune Tower, Wrigley Building, and the entire length of Michigan Avenue along Millennium Park still stands, whereas if that were Toronto it'd be a row of concrete buildings from the 60's and 70's.

Not to this scale though. I've been to all 3 and their historic destruction doesn't even approach ours. Yes NYC lost the Singer Building, and Chicago has lost a lot, but buildings like the Tribune Tower, Wrigley Building, and the entire length of Michigan Avenue along Millennium Park still stands, whereas if that were Toronto it'd be a row of concrete buildings from the 60's and 70's.

Historic destruction in Chicago and New York has been just as bad. Yes, they have more remaning historical architecture than us, but that's because they had a lot more to start with, as they were much larger cities.

Note that I was referring to buildings of similar calibre. And quite honestly, 650 Bay is not of similar calibre to Singer, Tribune, Wrigley, etc...

Is there any updated photos of the wonderful tile work being done? I remember scaffolding was erected, but there was no sign of work.

Chicago and New York continue to destroy buildings today that are of higher stature and greater quality (especially residential) than those considered untouchable in Toronto. It comes down to that they can afford to do it.

Initially the faux finish looked grotesque, but they have continued to work on it in the past week. It looks slightly more realistic now.

Back