News   Jul 26, 2024
 758     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.6K     2 

650 Bay St Boutique Hotel Redevelopment (Lanterra, ?s, ?)

I was thinking more along the lines of this type of thing

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

The "Honero" building doesn't look all that bad to be honest. They painted the remainder of the brick, but the facade at grade was redone in EFIS, which almost always looks ulgy, much like the Sobeys building on the right.

To reclad it brick by brick, would obviously depend on the type of brick and the cost of a competent mason/bricklayer to do the job.

You can get reclaimed brick for like 45 cents per brick, but it looks terrible.

The "Honero" building doesn't look all that bad to be honest.

From the second floor up of (former) Hornero's/Tabac, it's OK but I don't like the what they did to the building on the ground floor. The building to the south was raped.

From the second floor up of (former) Hornero's/Tabac, it's OK but I don't like the what they did to the building on the ground floor. The building to the south was raped.

Hornero's Pizza was great. I agree regarding the ground floor and the neighbouring building, but the bit that was allowed to stay as brick isn't too terrrible. Something like that could have been done with 650 Bay st.

I think that the owners realising the cladding was not up to the task and stopping the project on its tracks is a very real possibility.

Many historic buildings in far worse shape than this have been brought back to life - even nearly to their former glory. The brick would need re-pointing (pretty standard) and in this case because the glaze has been removed and the brick is now more porous, a good paint job.

Most importantly, new wood windows with deep reveals as the original windows would have had, and restored lintels and arches painted contrasting colours or limestone restored.

This is a gorgeous little building and finishes off the row of historic houses nicely - it's tragic to see the owners completely botch it up.

And yes, I think it should be restored, and no I don't think the site needs another supertall (to all the supertallwankers out there).

Hornero's Pizza was great.

Wood stove Pizza! Everything at Hornero's was good and I really liked their patio along the side in the summer. After a few beers watching the "activities" of those on Breadalbane Street at night could usually be entertaining. It's sad to see it gone, but it had a pretty good run.

Thanks for sharing information.
This hotel is heritage and we save the hotel for our future generation.
This hotel building is rapidly wear and tear with the passage of time and it is rapidly repaired .
Paint it and clean it .

I agree. I think it's still restorable in spite of some major issues. Maybe it can be combined with a major development, as we've seen in several recent cases downtown.

Well, believe it or not, this site is getting worse by the day. A number of the tiles are starting to fall off the building, especially the black ones. I'm surprised the city hasn't insisted on some kind of safety barrier.

650baya11.jpg

After seeing androiduk's picture, I don't think I can even open this thread anymore. It's just too depressing. Could Pen Equity be involved with this reno?

Given the land values in this part of town and the professional care given to other heritage properties, I find this snafu bewildering. It's like the owners aren't from here - I used to see this chop shop construction in small town Northern Ontario.

I finally walked by this mess today. No sign of any work going on and the Permit posted is for 55 Elm Street. There are several permits out for 55 Elm, it is the building attached to 650 Bay on Elm Street.

55 ELM ST

11 245945 BLD 00 Building Additions/Alterations Jul 26, 2011 Permit Issued
11 245945 HVA 00 Mechanical(MS) Jul 26, 2011 Permit Issued
11 245945 PLB 00 Plumbing(PS) Jul 26, 2011 Permit Issued
11 188652 BLD 00 Building Additions/Alterations May 5, 2011 Inspection

All seem to be to do with a new restaurant (Silced [sic] Gourmet Inc) and none with this bizarre and ill-conceived
face-lift.

Back