News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

2018 Provincial Election Transit Promises

According to this, RER will NOT be cut:

I would prefer to see that type of statement along with a target year or some wording stating unchanged schedule; but this is promising. Unfortunately rescheduled (see Sheppard LRT East) and cancelled may be technically different but they can have effectively the same impact to riders.

Both of the most likely parties to form government promising to finish what I consider to be the most important project in Ontario in several decades is a positive sign.

PCs won't have the election stolen from them again by a long-shot (Wynne) promising trains/trains/trains.

I would be a little weary of that process. Could it be sped up? Likely, yes. Is construction going to start on the DRL a year after the PCs form government? Don't count on it.

What they're proposing is basically the same thing that the provincial government already does for projects like Viva Rapidways, Eglinton Crosstown and Finch West. Projects still take time but the contractor assumes the risk for cost increases and delays, and more importantly they aren't subjected to constant debating and voting. The projects don't even get a vote on their own; they're just a part of the government's budget.

The fact that the PC wants to drastically cut down the delivery time for subways by changing the planning process is really attractive.

Let's see how the liberals surpass this with their promises. They will have to out spend the PC
How about we wait to see how exactly they intend to do that, if at all?

Wanting to do something, and having a coherent plan to actually do it are two very different things.

The fact that the PC wants to drastically cut down the delivery time for subways by changing the planning process is really attractive.

Let's see how the liberals surpass this with their promises. They will have to out spend the PC
They could outpromise. After all, we can now take the high speed train to Montreal courtesy of the Chretien Liberals and we can take a high speed train to Winsdor courtesy of Wynne. All that's left is high speed train to Winnipeg.

RER is the first to be cut, judging by their lack of commitment to the project. That’s $15 Billion that won’t need to be spent.
RER wasn't in his quite detailed platform. Neither was electrification. It would clearly be dead or very delayed.

According to this, RER will NOT be cut:
Which seems to reference the information back to the same platform that neither mentioned RER nor electrification.

It would appear that Mr. Spurr doesn't know the difference between all-way 2-day service (which has been running on Lakeshore since the 1960s) and RER.

Nothing in his proposal is particularly creative or grand. It's rehashing what we are already expecting in the pipeline. If you want truly creative or grand, how about establishing a regional level of government encompassing the entire Golden Horseshoe, with the ability to levy taxes for transit building. That's grand. Moving responsibilities around so that one can use accounting trick is the opposite of grand.

AoD
As life goes along, I am less convinced of my ability to communicate clearly in my native language. I shall try to clarify.

1. After 30 years of negligible progress on rapid transit in Toronto, it is quite “grand” in my view for someone to campaign on it. That is rather a stronger commitment than the Liberals made two years back.
2. Not everything which is campaigned on becomes reality, but in this case, it’s a centrepiece pledge. Harder to sideline those. Allow me a child-like fantasy moment where politicians do what they say.
3. Remember, this is the same party that in another post, I remarked may have gotten over its fetish for self-immolation.
4. When I used the word ‘creative’ it was in the context of urban centres being centres of innovation and creativity. Not in the context of anything in the PC platform being particularly novel. Novel would be it happening as described in said platform.
5. The fiscal realities of today are that until this platform, the PCs would have burned the Liberals for allowing tolling on the Gardiner or giving the city room to tax further. If the PCs were to win the election, it is not inconceivable that an HST rate change to 15% or other tax measures are coming. Everyone here who can add - and that’s everyone in this clan - knows that this (PC platform rapid transit construction plan) ain’t going to happen without raising revenues or chopping something. The party of common sense might have to tell folks rapid transit isn’t free. I think we’re beginning to get that anyway.
6. PCs used to think that prosperity was important. I think that a prosperous Toronto is about the best thing the province could have going for it. I think a part of prosperity is people moving about quickly and effortlessly. Imagine if we got to work ready to work. Imagine if we got home in time to go to the kid’s sports or take care of ourselves. I think without that, very few companies will come or expand here if the region’s transportation woes continue. The real estate will ultimately be worth less too, if the region’s transportation infrastructure continues to wither.
7. I am all for a refinement of the transit governance model, but I suspect that politics has become so petty - à la Trump - even here, that it’s too much to campaign on, and best handled as a very bold, although controversial proposal from a new government. Royal Commission on GTHA Transit Planning and Financing anyone?

In short, although nothing is certain until it’s done, this platform is a huge improvement on all government bad, all spending bad which has been a conservative rant for twenty-five years. It has allowed a government to perform badly and still look better than the alternative. That may be about to end.

And although I suspect that a Liberal government could win an election on UrbanToronto Forum members alone, the progress on significant funding commitments to new rapid transit - beyond Finch West, or specific project timing commitments related to the April 2015 $13.5 billion cash commitment to the GO rail system from the current government has been spotty. Even in this discussion forum, the incumbent’s spokesman has been ridiculed as the minister of announcements. Would that the next government be one that is nailing accomplishments down month-by-month, season-by-season. It’s so crazy, it just could happen.

Last edited:
RER wasn't in his quite detailed platform. Neither was electrification. It would clearly be dead or very delayed.

Yes it was...
upload_2017-12-4_21-26-58.png

"The existing commitments to two-way, all day GO train service" can only mean one thing.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-4_21-26-58.png
    upload_2017-12-4_21-26-58.png
    147 KB · Views: 567
Two-way, all day can mean hourly diesel or it can mean full electrified RER.

I wonder what the Hurontario LRT did to be so carefully omitted, while all the other LRTs are specifically named as to be completed.

Brown's campaign platform document is heavily footnoted. The footnotes in the transit section are tied back to resolutions passed at the PC's last convention. The resolutions are a lot broader and less specific than the campaign document.

While the Brown platform has a very detailed list of program spending, transit gets virtually no mention. Only $480M is specified over the term of the next government. That's not anywhere near what his subway plan would cost.

There is so much wiggle room, but there is certainly an attempt to sound pro-transit. Considering we didn't really believe that Wynne will ever fulfil all her promises, it's probably no more certainty than the Liberals are offering. But Brown does hint at wanting clearer and closer targets for things. That is certainly poking the Liberals where they deserve to be poked, but saying it versus accomplishing it are two different things.

- Paul

Back