News   Jul 11, 2024
 117     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 295     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 608     0 

2018 Provincial Election Transit Promises

I'm glad that the PC came out with that transit platform as I'm way more interested in how the Liberals intends to top that.

The Liberals will promise the moon, get reelected, then proceed to do nothing for another four years.

Two-way, all day can mean hourly diesel or it can mean full electrified RER.

I wonder what the Hurontario LRT did to be so carefully omitted, while all the other LRTs are specifically named as to be completed.

Brown's campaign platform document is heavily footnoted. The footnotes in the transit section are tied back to resolutions passed at the PC's last convention. The resolutions are a lot broader and less specific than the campaign document.

While the Brown platform has a very detailed list of program spending, transit gets virtually no mention. Only $480M is specified over the term of the next government. That's not anywhere near what his subway plan would cost.

There is so much wiggle room, but there is certainly an attempt to sound pro-transit. Considering we didn't really believe that Wynne will ever fulfil all her promises, it's probably no more certainty than the Liberals are offering. But Brown does hint at wanting clearer and closer targets for things. That is certainly poking the Liberals where they deserve to be poked, but saying it versus accomplishing it are two different things.

- Paul

Everyone hints at things, but will he do what he says he will? If he's only hinting at it then I can see it falling by the wayside.

This is light years ahead of where the PC Party has been in recent elections as far as the transit file is concerned. It's still vague enough that you have to question if they're serious about it.

The Liberals probably deserve more credit - they've actually accomplished quite a lot relative to previous governments.

Last edited:
The Liberals probably deserve more credit as far as transit is concerned - they've actually accomplished quite a lot relative to previous governments.

If the Liberals had simply got done what they have got done, without promising anything more, I would be happy. There are indeed many shovels in the ground. The problem is all the stuff they promised that never got started.

I don't think we are asking too much for governments to say what they are going to do, and then do what they said they would do. This alternative Disneyland tour of creating things in the sky that sound great but don't reach reality is worse than just saying "no, we aren't doing that".

- Paul

I'm still relieved that all three parties are much more pro-transit than most of the 1990s provincial parties.

The bigger risk to the transit file will be the muncipal candidates. Like Hamilton's next mayor for the Hamilton LRT.

The Liberals probably deserve more credit as far as transit is concerned - they've actually accomplished quite a lot relative to previous governments.
There are indeed many shovels in the ground.
Promises broken aside (Hamilton all-day GO was to come 2015...) -- I'll have to agree. There's never been this many shovels in the ground in recent memory. The momentum must continue -- maybe with adjustments/good efficiencies -- but must continue.

If the Liberals had simply got done what they have got done, without promising anything more, I would be happy. There are indeed many shovels in the ground. The problem is all the stuff they promised that never got started.

I don't think we are asking too much for governments to say what they are going to do, and then do what they said they would do. This alternative Disneyland tour of creating things in the sky that sound great but don't reach reality is worse than just saying "no, we aren't doing that".

- Paul

Based on history, this would seem to be a very unrealistic expectation, unfortunately.

I agree the Liberals haven't been perfect on the transit file, but one has to pause when reading a very vague plan by the Tories - it would be very easy for them to renege on it. The $5 billion in funding is also very, very inadequate.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with you, I just think it's redundant, it's in progress, they said they wouldn't change and they didn't come up with it. I don't see a problem

Liberals are building stuff even if the projects aren't ready. Once they are delivered, PC or not, we all know the Liberals did it which earns them even more credibility on that file. However, the fact that the PC built transit in the past has been forgotten and Harris cancelling projects is still fresh in everyone's mind. Even delays would prove very negative on them and make their reelection hopes harder. If there's one file they need to get their credibility back its transit.

Of course, all the above is assuming that they aren't morons. They must know that. That's one file where they need to keep their words and turn a new leaf as for too long, it was a huge reason for them staying in the opposition

A couple of rhetorical questions your post brings about:

-Is RER a Liberal project, or a Metrolinx project. And if the latter (which it should be), then I guess it doesn't really matter which party gets voted in since Metrolinx and its plans should remain regardless of whomever is in charge at QP.

-Is the 2013 RER grand plan over and above the original Big Move RTP? That is, are we getting all the projects promised and RER on top. As I understand it that's not really the case. By promising RER (after rejecting electrification beyond LSE+LSW and parts of Kitchener just a couple years prior) we're actually delaying or canceling other parts of the RTP. Obviously everyone supports the project in one way or another, but I don't think many are aware that it may come at the expense of other likeable projects elsewhere. This after virtually all revenue tools with which the RTP was based have been rejected (in other words we have limited funds to begin with). So maybe Patrick Brown is planning on offering a bare-bones RER (e.g just AD2W), but spreading the same allocated funds to other perhaps newer projects - not unlike what the current party has done.

A couple of rhetorical questions your post brings about:

-Is RER a Liberal project, or a Metrolinx project. And if the latter (which it should be), then I guess it doesn't really matter which party gets voted in since Metrolinx and its plans should remain regardless of whomever is in charge at QP.

Certainly Wynne was the first one who declared herself willing to spend the whole shot on RER. McGinty talked big but cut things back afterwards (eg trimming the original Crosstown plan).

Maybe rather than focusing on RER vs not RER, we should be asking Brown if the commitment to expand GO from 1500 trains per week to 6000 trains per week still stands. The magnitude, rather than the precise fabric, may be what best defines the ML-designed, Wynne-approved transit strategy. That commitment is what Brown should be held to if he claims to be sustaining previous strategy.

-Is the 2013 RER grand plan over and above the original Big Move RTP? That is, are we getting all the projects promised and RER on top. As I understand it that's not really the case. .

Let's not kid ourselves. The Big Move, and its more recent updates, is a shopping catalog and not an execution plan. Ontario doesnt have the wealth to make it all happen. RER is aligned with and contained in the Big Move, so it can proceed. And it has been given priority. But most of us will be using walkers before it all comes to be.

- Paul

The Liberals made a lot of progress on transit in the last 4 years, actually even more than that. We have TYSSE about to open, improved GO service, Eglinton LRT under construction, Finch West construction about to be tendered, and SSE in the design phase.

My point is even if the Liberals are doing things, it's at a snail's pace, and not necessarily what the public wants to see done.

To do what McGinty wanted to do in 2003 after being elected for Transit, it was going to cost $2 billion a year for the next 20 years. When the first budget went to him in 2008(?), it was $90 Billion and said it had to be $50 Billion.

To build all the Transit propose today that are well outside the original area, we are looking at $140 Billion or about $7 Billion per year, that includes operation, maintenance and replacement cost. This does not allow for what has already been spent so far that needs to be deducted from that number.

The problem from day one is which projects should be built first to the point no shovels were not in the ground when McGinty gave the first board the boot. As long as you try spreading things out to everyone, very few are going to see value for the dollar by doing so.

To run any service, you need the infrastructure in place before you can run something and that takes time and money. Doing things in piece meal does show something, but still cause problems for what every been built in the long run as well delaying service that should happen sooner than later. When dealing with 2 RR that march to there drums, it a problem one way or another and not going to disappear over time to get things built a fast as possible and within cost range.

At the end of the day, there is only X dollars at hand and the thought question becomes, which project is going to get the big bang for the Buck?? Until there is a true project ranking in place based on needs, not dollars or politics, only then we will see real improvement for everyone. It will take more than 20 years to full fill all the projects needs, but start dealing with them yesterday is long over due.

Metrolinx itself is a failure based on the people who run it as well interference from all levels of government. Far too many pet projects getting built or change from what it was supposed to be a greater cost to everyone as well a longer time frame to get it built. The UPX was to be electrify by 2019 if I remember correctly and not even close to meeting that date now.

Time to stop all the BS and start building what is supposed to happen and not wait a decade or 2 on technology that still unproven, when it can't deal with the current equipment that is needed for today needs, let alone down the road.

If the new Metrolinx CEO has balls to tell Queens Park this is what is needed and how much it going to cost in a set order as well time frame, who is in power come June 19 has a big decision to make where transit is going, as well who is calling the shots.

I don't trust the PC, see no real platform from the NDP and a water down one from the Liberals at this time, but still will chose the Liberals plan at this time. Most likely there will be a new leader for the Liberals come June 19.

RER is a Metrolinx project with an implementation timeline reliant on a Liberal budget plan.

Change the budget plan and Metrolinx will adjust their implementation timeline accordingly.

In short, Liberals promised to fund 13B between 2018 and 2025. Reduce the amount or move out the dates and Metrolinx will not be able to follow through.

If I may chime in on this discussion, although the plan presented by the PC's seems ambitious and promising, it begs the question of sincerity and knowing whether the proposed projects are worth considering. Knowing that the PCs defunded the TTC and privatized the 407, it begs the question whether they will continue on that path with the subway. Logically, they will have learned from their mistakes but one can never know. Taking ownership usually spells out privatization.

With regards to their promise to fully fund the Scarborough subway, I don't understand why they don't just commit to the Sheppard east and west subway extensions and scrap the BD extension. It makes much more sense because the BD extension parallels RER, and the Sheppard subway will have more stations. Instead of having to add commitment to the BD extension, that 3 billion dollars can go pay for part of the Sheppard extensions, as well as other provincial and federal funds, and leave extra money over for the DRL and Yonge subway extensions.

If I may chime in on this discussion, although the plan presented by the PC's seems ambitious and promising, it begs the question of sincerity and knowing whether the proposed projects are worth considering. Knowing that the PCs defunded the TTC and privatized the 407, it begs the question whether they will continue on that path with the subway. Logically, they will have learned from their mistakes but one can never know. Taking ownership usually spells out privatization.

With regards to their promise to fully fund the Scarborough subway, I don't understand why they don't just commit to the Sheppard east and west subway extensions and scrap the BD extension. It makes much more sense because the BD extension parallels RER, and the Sheppard subway will have more stations. Instead of having to add commitment to the BD extension, that 3 billion dollars can go pay for part of the Sheppard extensions, as well as other provincial and federal funds, and leave extra money over for the DRL and Yonge subway extensions.

I'm afraid Sheppard East and West will cost even more and have even fewer riders.

Back