News   Jul 16, 2024
 258     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 375     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Thought it was tacky for her to quote Jack's famous words in her defeat speech.
Given that she was married to the man and worked side by side with him for many years, I don't think it was at all tacky. If I quoted them, then yes, it would be tacky. Olivia? Not so much.

I saw some Ford Nation lady on Cp24 literally CRYING as Doug was losing and then going on about how she's going to have to move now and it's so frustrating how so few people get how municipal politics works. She was barely even human; just Cognitive Dissonance with legs and arms.

I honestly thought it was an act when I first saw that lady, I can't believe how real that was.
Especially when she said that the '..rest of Toronto screwed up and they don't understand how municipal politics work".

Yeah, the rest of Toronto does know how it works and that's why Doug isn't Mayor.

I don't think it's tacky as a concession speech, and her speech sounded far better than those in her campaigns in general. In any case, it can't possibly beat Doug Ford's - i.e. "We introduced the idea of government for the people", 2000 years after the Greeks, I might add.

AoD

Last edited:
Its interesting but not supringing how low voter turn out is in the 905 ... from 20%->30%

Wow, lots of sour grapes obnoxiousness in this thread. People calling those in Etobicoke and Scarborough delusional or low IQ rejects.

BTW, you can't have it both ways. Yes lower income and less educated voted Ford according to the map. However, lower income and less educated also voted Chow. I think it shows extreme bias to conclude that one group is inherently smarter than the other.

The suggestions to limit voting are also, so inherently racist and classist (given the high percentage of minorities and lower income residents who voted for Ford). People don't vote the way you like? Well, we should disenfranchise them...

Imagine how the people saying this stuff on here would react if any of this kind of talk had come from a Harper or Ford supporter. Read some of the rightist crap in tea-party circles. They talk the same way about black and latino voters in the USA. And this is exactly the kind of thinking that leads them to putting up barriers like state ID requirements for voters over there.

Personally, I can't stand either Ford or Chow. Had John Tory not run, I probably would've voted for somebody else completely.

I wouldn't say I can't stand Chow. I would've been okay with her as mayor. But I've never really voted too far to either side of the spectrum. And most voters are like that.

Last edited:
I saw some Ford Nation lady on Cp24 literally CRYING as Doug was losing and then going on about how she's going to have to move now and it's so frustrating how so few people get how municipal politics works. She was barely even human; just Cognitive Dissonance with legs and arms.

On my drive in to work....Newtalk 1010 used that lady as an example of someone who might want to call Frank Leo, the realtor. Ha ha ha!

The suggestions to limit voting are also, so inherently racist and classist (given the high percentage of minorities and lower income residents who voted for Ford). People don't vote the way you like? Well, we should disenfranchise them...

Imagine how the people saying this stuff on here would react if any of this kind of talk had come from a Harper or Ford supporter.

First of all, you can't strip away anyone's right to vote without a legislative process which is simply not going to happen (and interestingly, the FN types are probably most likely going to go for that kind of a solution - e.g. right of prisoners to vote). Second, let's not pretend that the Ford's modus operandi is the empowering type either - there is not even token representation in his Execs. So if one is willing to overlook that, I am sure they can understand where this disenfranchisement business is coming from. Welcome to the flip side of the citizens vs. "taxpayers" business.

AoD

Last edited:
Wow, lots of sour grapes obnoxiousness in this thread. People calling those in Etobicoke and Scarborough delusional or low IQ rejects.

BTW, you can't have it both ways. Yes lower income and less educated voted Ford according to the map. However, lower income and less educated also voted Chow. I think it shows extreme bias to conclude that one group is inherently smarter than the other.

Personally, I can't stand either Ford or Chow. Had John Tory not run, I probably would've voted for somebody else completely.

I know you can't have it both ways. The ideal is to bring those people into the fold, socially, economically and politically. But voting for the Fords isn't going to solve that problem for them. I don't know the answer.

It's the great challenge of democracy, especially when we're talking about record turnout. Better to have 10,000 well-informed people vote, or those 10,000 plus another million who don't really know what's going on?; some of whom think Giorgio Mamomoliti is just doing a bang-up job down at city hall....

Given that she was married to the man and worked side by side with him for many years, I don't think it was at all tacky. If I quoted them, then yes, it would be tacky. Olivia? Not so much.

Given that her detractors have accused her of riding on her husbands coattails (Donato's disgusting editorial cartoon not withstanding) you would think that she would try to carve out her own image and her own sound bites. Not saying to completely distance herself from Jack but to minimize the connection.

I don't think Mrs Clinton has lifted lines from he husband's speeches...

I know you can't have it both ways. The ideal is to bring those people into the fold, socially, economically and politically. But voting for the Fords isn't going to solve that problem for them. I don't know the answer.

It's the great challenge of democracy, especially when we're talking about record turnout. Better to have 10,000 well-informed people vote, or those 10,000 plus another million who don't really know what's going on?; some of whom think Giorgio Mamomoliti is just doing a bang-up job down at city hall....

I'm still processing the election but I'm with you on this.

I'm totally against disenfranchisement of people in the political process, but good government has to be reciprocal.

Honestly, I think it was strategic Chow voters in downtown that saved us from Ford more years if anything.

The Toronto Sun also probably saved us from Ford More Years believe it or not.

I suspect Olivia was asked not to drop out of the race ~ her continued presence insured she split the vote in John Tory's favor. Her reward for this? A plum job at city hall in one or more areas of her expertise e.g. breakfast programs, after school programs etc.

Back