News   Jul 16, 2024
 262     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 383     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Yeah, the rest of Toronto does know how it works and that's why Doug isn't Mayor.
Doug was a lot closer to becoming Mayor than I saw predicted. And horrible, horrible representatives like Mammoliti, Moeser, Palacio, Shiner, Cristiani, Cho and above all Rob Ford were elected. (And before we get all snotty about that being the suburbs, there's those like Bailao, Fletcher, who maybe aren't horrible, horrible, but some change would be good.) Mikey Ford was made a trustee. I'm not so sure anyone gets how it works. I'm not so sure that it works.

Last edited:
From this article:
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/daniel-tencer/toronto-election-income-gap_b_6058702.html

Ford Nation:

slide_378140_4459018_compressed.jpg

slide_378140_4458850_compressed.jpg

Attachments

• slide_378140_4459018_compressed.jpg
    slide_378140_4459018_compressed.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 458
  • slide_378140_4458850_compressed.jpg
    slide_378140_4458850_compressed.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 518
Thought it was tacky for her to quote Jack's famous words in her defeat speech.

Given that she was married to the man and worked side by side with him for many years, I don't think it was at all tacky. If I quoted them, then yes, it would be tacky. Olivia? Not so much.

Super tacky.

I don't think it's tacky as a concession speech, and her speech sounded far better than those in her campaigns in general. In any case, it can't possibly beat Doug Ford's - i.e. "We introduced the idea of government for the people", 2000 years after the Greeks, I might add.

AoD

Given that her detractors have accused her of riding on her husbands coattails (Donato's disgusting editorial cartoon not withstanding) you would think that she would try to carve out her own image and her own sound bites. Not saying to completely distance herself from Jack but to minimize the connection.

I don't think Mrs Clinton has lifted lines from he husband's speeches...

I would not call it tacky, but I would not have done that at all. She has not mentioned Jack until today, why? Hopefully John will find something for her at city hall. I was hard on her but we need people like her to be part of the public discourse.

Doug was a lot closer to becoming Mayor than I saw predicted. And horrible, horrible representatives like Mammoliti, Moeser, Palacio, Shiner, Cristiani, Cho and above all Rob Ford were elected. (And before we get all snotty about that being the suburbs, there's those like Bailao, Fletcher, who maybe aren't horrible, horrible, but some change would be good.) Mikey Ford was made a trustee. I'm not so sure anyone gets how it works. I'm not so sure that it works.

You know I was just conversing with my dad on this, and honestly, we live in a western democratic country with a very high standard of living and liberties, but we mustn't take it for granted and always take a look at our society and our government and ask ourselves if this is working. We mustn't be complacent.

Let's take a look at the facts:

* 1/3 of this city felt a Ford was the best candidate after everything in the past 4 years
* Large groups of disenfranchised and lower-income people in particular felt that the one candidate least able to do good for them, was their best choice for mayor (How is this not worrying?)
* All but one incumbent was reelected, despite many being horrible horrible representatives like Mammoliti, Moeser, Palacio, Shiner, Crisanti, Grimes, Pasternak, Di Giorgio, Nunziata, Cho, Crawford not to mention Rob Ford.
* Mikey Ford won school trustee based on his last name alone despite being 20 years old and not having any experience

I'll leave people to make their own conclusions, but there is something wrong with the system. What it is, I couldn't say but it is acting contrarily towards good government.

I would not call it tacky, but I would not have done that at all. She has not mentioned Jack until today, why? Hopefully John will find something for her at city hall. I was hard on her but we need people like her to be part of the public discourse.

Well said. I don't agree with some of her policies. But I sincerely appreciate and admire her passion for many of those causes. And I hope her dedication can be directed productively.

First of all, you can't strip away anyone's right to vote without a legislative process which is simply not going to happen (and interestingly, the FN types are probably most likely going to go for that kind of a solution - e.g. right of prisoners to vote). Second, let's not pretend that the Ford's modus operandi is the empowering type either - there is not even token representation in his Execs. So if one is willing to overlook that, I am sure they can understand where this disenfranchisement business is coming from. Welcome to the flip side of the citizens vs. "taxpayers" business.

AoD

There's many ways to disenfranchise someone. The last one being legislative. In the USA, they are now debating whether Voter ID requirements violate the Equal Protection Clause. In that same spirit, I'd suggest that asking someone to take a test where they can identify their ward on a map and know their councillor's name would be just as egregious a denial of the basic democractic right to vote.

And I never did say the Ford's were empoowering. Don't know where you got that from my post. Just that people would be all over such suggestions if they came from Ford camp (and rightly so). Yet, somehow if you're on the left, it's more acceptable to suggest that voters who picked the opponent are lacking in IQ. I find such talk contemptible, regardless of who you support. And I find it ironic that people who label themselves "progressives" would ever entertain such talk. It's disgusting.

There's many ways to disenfranchise someone. The last one being legislative. In the USA, they are now debating whether Voter ID requirements violate the Equal Protection Clause. In that same spirit, I'd suggest that asking someone to take a test where they can identify their ward on a map and know their councillor's name would be just as egregious a denial of the basic democractic right to vote.

Of course - and why look to the US? We had recent federal legislations from the ruling party around voter IDs, ostensibly to prevent fraud. That boat has sailed a long, long time ago with nary a protest.

And I never did say the Ford's were empoowering. Don't know where you got that from my post. Just that people would be all over such suggestions if they came from Ford camp (and rightly so). Yet, somehow if you're on the left, it's more acceptable to suggest that voters who picked the opponent are lacking in IQ. I find such talk contemptible, regardless of who you support. And I find it ironic that people who label themselves "progressives" would ever entertain such talk. It's disgusting.

Except that contempt seems to run both ways, and the first blood wasn't drawn by anyone but the Ford camp. To complain about it now, in jest around small talk when the so called oppressed was all to eager too actually vote for someone who'd disempower by action and by words vested in the office said makes the complain kind of hollow.

AoD

Last edited:

I know -- but the point was for Doug only since that lady was crying because Doug wasn't elected Mayor.

If there is anything that pisses me off more than Rob Ford getting his council seat back, it's the fact that Mammoliti won.

Like.. I can't even. What a joke.

You're kidding right? They may have tore open the wound. But it was festering for some time.

And it will continue to fester because the issues could very well be structural and not necessarily amenable to cure through local politics, if through politics at all? Well, besides one should think carefully before one tears open anything - and certainly don't tear open anything under the name of a lying, crack smoking failure that couldn't deliver anything but words, because this very act damages the willingness of "the other side" to take grievances seriously, however legitimate they are (and I don't doubt for one second that some of them are). You come to a public arena with the legitimate hopes of participating in governance, and all one chose is someone who doesn't show up for work, show up unprepared, have nothing to offer but atrocious antics that drag the city down internationally, willfully ignore rules and regulations with impunity while lecturing others of how they should behave and expect others to not react badly to it. Excuse me?

AoD

Last edited:
WTF? I know you're only trolling, but the Clintons gave essentially the same stump speech for two Presidential elections, then Hilary took the same rhetoric to New York State.

Not trolling at all... I honestly thought it strange and somewhat tacky to quote Jack, you are welcome to disagree with me. I will admit that I don't follow American politics that closely so perhaps Hillary has done the same.

I find it somewhat tacky to complain about a widow quoting her husband in a concession speech, with no campaign going on. Move on already.

Back