News   Jul 16, 2024
 233     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 361     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Think of what the higher vote count for Ford in Scarborough means for the subway debates for example. Think all those Scarborough Liberal MPPs will want to backtrack on the subway now?

Though Paul Ainslie was handily reelected, *in spite of* his rebellion against Scarborough subwayphilia.

I'm inclined to think it's more of a "homie vs whitey" than "subway vs LRT" thing that explains Scarborough's voting decision. ("Whitey", as in "Stuff White People Like".)

Alot of angry people from Ford Nation

Facebook
I Hate The War on Mayor Rob Ford
Doug Ford Campaign

What's to be angry about? Their man outperformed "elite" expectations, as did his bro' and nephew.

Or maybe it has something to do with how virtually all of IHTWOMRF's endorsees for Council, save a handful of actual or might-as-well-be incumbents (most of whom were endorsed-for-lack-of-better-choice), flopped miserably...

Take a look at this map:

There appears to be a potential correlation between income, access to transit and what wards voted for which candidate

pKNxgZ7.jpg

Last edited:
But does nobody find it concerning that a good chunk of the most diverse areas in this city feel isolated enough to vote for Ford

What I find "concerning" is the fact that these so-called isolated people are so out to lunch that they choose to throw their vote to the guy least likely to help them.

Even though I am relieved that we do not have a Ford as mayor, I'm still just as appalled as I was in 2010 that such a huge amount of this city's electorate is so stupid. Democracy should only be allowed in a society with a minimum IQ requirements.

Ward 33 is an enigma. Shelley Carroll won 61% of vote, but Doug also had highest voting percentage for mayoral candidates with 41%.

Take a look at this map:

There appears to be a potential correlation between income, access to transit and what wards voted for which candidate

I mentioned that a couple of pages back but didn't actually dig out the 3 Cities map, so thanks.

What I find "concerning" is the fact that these so-called isolated people are so out to lunch that they choose to throw their vote to the guy least likely to help them.

Even though I am relieved that we do not have a Ford as mayor, I'm still just as appalled as I was in 2010 that such a huge amount of this city's electorate is so stupid. Democracy should only be allowed in a society with a minimum IQ requirements.

I saw some Ford Nation lady on Cp24 literally CRYING as Doug was losing and then going on about how she's going to have to move now and it's so frustrating how so few people get how municipal politics works. She was barely even human; just Cognitive Dissonance with legs and arms.

On the one hand, I think high turnout is good and we want everyone to vote..........but on the other hand, I think if you're that delusional, you shouldn't be allowed to. I dunno what to do. Sometimes I think it should be a very simple civics test: HEre's a blank map of Toronto; please identify your ward. Name your current councillor, name the current mayor....a couple of things like that. If you can't get them, you can't vote. (By all means, offer it in different languages and do what you can to make sure people are not being unfairly excluded!)

The alternative is to accept that fully 1/3 of the people you see everyday are either ignorant or delusional and hold views not that you just disagree with, but that you actually find repugnant.

I said earlier that I was rooting for Tory but would have had almost no problem at all with Olivia winning; even if I don't agree with all her views, she's a smart and passionate person. Both she and the rest of the city should take a look in the mirror and think long and hard about how far more people thought DOUG FORD - not even Rob, DOUG! - would be a better mayor than she. You can't chalk it all up to strategic voting either. It's depressing.

Wow, lots of sour grapes obnoxiousness in this thread. People calling those in Etobicoke and Scarborough delusional or low IQ rejects.

BTW, you can't have it both ways. Yes lower income and less educated voted Ford according to the map. However, lower income and less educated also voted Chow. I think it shows extreme bias to conclude that one group is inherently smarter than the other.

Personally, I can't stand either Ford or Chow. Had John Tory not run, I probably would've voted for somebody else completely.

Back