1.1K     3 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

https://twitter.com/g_meslin/status/527140358892056576

B1DHWjLCcAAzpGh.jpg

Attachments

• B1DHWjLCcAAzpGh.jpg
    B1DHWjLCcAAzpGh.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 521
On the one hand, I think high turnout is good and we want everyone to vote..........but on the other hand, I think if you're that delusional, you shouldn't be allowed to. I dunno what to do. Sometimes I think it should be a very simple civics test: Here's a blank map of Toronto; please identify your ward. Name your current councillor, name the current mayor....a couple of things like that. If you can't get them, you can't vote.

Are there any worldwide examples of places that require some sort of knowledge or IQ test in order to vote?

I know you can't have it both ways. The ideal is to bring those people into the fold, socially, economically and politically. But voting for the Fords isn't going to solve that problem for them. I don't know the answer.

It's the great challenge of democracy, especially when we're talking about record turnout. Better to have 10,000 well-informed people vote, or those 10,000 plus another million who don't really know what's going on?; some of whom think Giorgio Mamomoliti is just doing a bang-up job down at city hall....

The most educated voted for John Tory.

The most educated voted for John Tory.

And the least educated voted for Ford. None of this is surprising, really. The irrationality and simple-mindedness of Ford Nation is the preserve of the uneducated.
I'm pretty dumb myself. University drop out, working class slave-cog, but I guess the two years of university (and subsequent stints at a college and another uni) imbued me with enough sense to at least vote for Goldkind. ;)

Back