News   Aug 09, 2024
 924     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 737     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 3.3K     2 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Some of the talk here... And people wonder why many residents in this city feel alienated and will vote for Fords.

I saw one comment on an article that suggested that Ford polling high in Scarborough was not a surprise since that's where they "stuck all the retard immigrants". Person was a Chow supporter.

I'm not surprised. I've always maintained that at least some element of the disdain for the 'burbs has a racial component.

Hopefully, Tory can work on making the suburbs feel more included.

So you're taking one comment and extrapolating that to hundreds of thousands of people?

Not buying the weak mandate at all. Tory's 43% in a three person race is stronger than Rob's 47% considering that Chow was a much stronger candidate than Pantalone, and that Tory had to deal with what was essentially an incumbent in Doug Ford.

Regardless, no one will care about Tory's margin of victory soon enough. It will come down to him being able to find enough support to consistently win votes. He might lose a few, but I can't see him ever going on a Rob Ford-type losing streak.

As for your third point, he has never led a government, so we have no idea what kind of leader he has been historically.

What about his leadership of OPC?

Some of the talk here... And people wonder why many residents in this city feel alienated and will vote for Fords.

I saw one comment on an article that suggested that Ford polling high in Scarborough was not a surprise since that's where they "stuck all the retard immigrants". Person was a Chow supporter.

I'm not surprised. I've always maintained that at least some element of the disdain for the 'burbs has a racial component.

Hopefully, Tory can work on making the suburbs feel more included.

Bull ... that's one comment ... look at the folks at the parties for each candidate, last I checked at both Tory's and Chow everyone involved clapped when Ford was mentioned, while the complete opposite took place at Ford's. I don't by your argument one bit; Now the comment on a lack of education => ignorance ... well that's probably the truth ... the fact that Chow would have probably much better served anyone in the lower income bracket ...

Bull ... that's one comment ... look at the folks at the parties for each candidate, last I checked at both Tory's and Chow everyone involved clapped when Ford was mentioned, while the complete opposite took place at Ford's. I don't by your argument one bit; Now the comment on a lack of education => ignorance ... well that's probably the truth ... the fact that Chow would have probably much better served anyone in the lower income bracket ...

Indeed - and is it a racial component, or is it the rest of the city being sick and tired of a bunch that kept voting for the worst of the lot and expect to be taken seriously? A family of candidates with a history of drug use, drug trade, utter contempt of the law and authority, nothing deliverable on the transit file other than platitudes, ditto the job front? I don't give a damn what ethnicity one is, that choice is indefensible.

AoD

Last edited:
And this talk of not having a strong mandate. Really? JT has a stronger mandate than several provincial and federal majority governments in recent history. It's on par with Miller's result when he first got elected.

Would have been nice if it were higher. But are the grapes that sour that people can't concede that he's had a decent election?

And then there's this idea that he's going to fail. Man, what a thing to hope for.... For the mayor of your city. I think he'll be fine. He's got enough experience with large organisations and the congenial attitude with most councillors will help. I see no reason why he'd fail....

Comparing municipal to provincial/federal politics, with well established parties and parliamentary system is tenuous at best. It's a pretty meaningless claim esp. when put into context of a weak mayor system. He simply can't govern by fiat. That said, I think he will be fine.

AoD

Indeed - and is it a racial component, or is it the rest of the city being sick and tired of a bunch that kept voting for the worst of the lot and expect to be taken seriously? A family of candidates with a history of drug use, drug trade, utter contempt of the law and authority, nothing deliverable on the transit file other than platitudes, ditto the job front? I don't give a damn what ethnicity one is, that choice is indefensible.

AoD

Never said the rest of the city should vote the same as Scarborough and Etobicoke. But does nobody find it concerning that a good chunk of the most diverse areas in this city feel isolated enough to vote for Ford (essentially the anti-establishment candidate).

I certainly think that isolation will have to be addressed. Or it will have political consequences.

Think of what the higher vote count for Ford in Scarborough means for the subway debates for example. Think all those Scarborough Liberal MPPs will want to backtrack on the subway now?

Honestly I think 'smart track' is full of holes yet in terms of how he'll do, I think he'll have it really easy with this council ... now what that means 4 years from now will be hard to tell.

Comparing municipal to provincial/federal politics, with well established parties and parliamentary system is tenuous at best. It's a pretty meaningless claim esp. when put into context of a weak mayor system. He simply can't govern by fiat. That said, I think he will be fine.

AoD

Never knew the Prime Minister or Premier could govern by fiat...

Back