News   May 10, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.1K     0 

The seemingly terminal decline of Tim Hortons

This should exist at all fast food places, too.

There is a Popeye's near my work. I'm not a huge fan, but it's something, and I don't like chicken. The amount of times I waited in line, on a 30 minute lunch break, behind a customer ordering 4 or 5 uber complex combos, and then I walk up to order a small fries and a drink (just to have something so I don't pass out while at work) is infuriating.
More and more places allow you to order ahead in their app and pick up at the counter.

It's true, you can't trust the semi-skilled, semi-fluent folks working in fast food. Order black coffee and add your own pseudo cream.
I don't know how many times I've had an order screwed up at a fast food joint, particularly at Tim's, or have had to repeat myself to avoid it being screwed up. Sometimes it's a language thing, sometimes it's ambient noise (particularly with Covid shields) or sometimes they are on autopilot and just don't care.

I don't know how many times I've had an order screwed up at a fast food joint, particularly at Tim's, or have had to repeat myself to avoid it being screwed up. Sometimes it's a language thing, sometimes it's ambient noise (particularly with Covid shields) or sometimes they are on autopilot and just don't care.
That's why I like the order terminals at McDonalds. It doesn't prevent shoddy execution of the order, but at least it eliminates the order being taken down incorrectly. McD's coffee and breakfast is superior too, and they don't seem to be solely staffed by semi-fluent "students".

That's why I like the order terminals at McDonalds. It doesn't prevent shoddy execution of the order, but at least it eliminates the order being taken down incorrectly. McD's coffee and breakfast is superior too, and they don't seem to be solely staffed by semi-fluent "students".
I really should try that. I can't use the apps because we don't have mobile data and ordering before leaving home is simply too much planning ahead.

Tims policy for years (since 2000ish) has been go here if you have food allergies. Like, any food allergies. To the point of putting up legal disclaimers in the stores. They have never made any effort to accommodate allergies, and never will. I haven't been to one since I was 10 or so as a result. And my food allergy isn't that bad (I just don't feel like puking all over a Tims if I have a problem) I don't get how anyone with serious allergies is still shopping there. They're trash. Many other places (including Starbucks and McDonalds, despite being equally corporate) are more willing to make the effort.

Also, to add, for certain allergies at least (peanuts/nuts) McDonalds is amazing. They keep everything very organised and separate to avoid the kind of incidents Tims doesn't care if they cause.

Last edited:
Tims policy for years (since 2000ish) has been go here if you have food allergies. Like, any food allergies. To the point of putting up legal disclaimers in the stores. They have never made any effort to accommodate allergies, and never will. I haven't been to one since I was 10 or so as a result. And my food allergy isn't that bad (I just don't feel like puking all over a Tims if I have a problem) I don't get how anyone with serious allergies is still shopping there. They're trash. Many other places (including Starbucks and McDonalds, despite being equally corporate) are more willing to make the effort.

Also, to add, for certain allergies at least (peanuts/nuts) McDonalds is amazing. They keep everything very organised and separate to avoid the kind of incidents Tims doesn't care if they cause.
Starbucks is not a franchise, so has rules across all locations. That helps.

Starbucks is not a franchise, so has rules across all locations. That helps.
True, but Tim's is remarkably shitty about allergies regardless of who the franchisee is. And I doubt a franchisee has the option to be like "we don't want to sell peanut butter cookies to make our place more allergy-friendly" Fundamentally, these decisions come from the top in one way or another.

McDonalds is a franchised brand and is, for the most part, great at dealing with allergies. For example, the peanuts for the sundaes are kept in sealed bags and they have a specific area for adding them to food so it doesn't cross-contaminate with anything else. And to my understanding, that was corporate policy imposed upon the franchisees. Tims has no excuse.

I feel you, I’ve had my fair share of messed up orders at Tim’s too. 😞 I wish they would go back to the basics and focus on making good coffee and doughnuts. That’s what made them popular in the first place.

I feel you, I’ve had my fair share of messed up orders at Tim’s too. 😞 I wish they would go back to the basics and focus on making good coffee and doughnuts. That’s what made them popular in the first place.

I wonder what would the demand would be for Cakes, Pies and Eclairs now?

Who here remembers the display cases that Tim's had out front showing all their cakes and pies?

Back