News   May 09, 2024
 291     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 395     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 676     1 

Zip & Vibe at Liberty Village (Monarch, 2x 24s, G+C) COMPLETE

I think Battery Park is one of the ugliest condo buildings in the city.

It's nominated for a pugly with good reason.
I won't be surprised if it wins.
A dubious distinction.
You've gotta think that Zip and Vibe will have to look decent just by comparison :)

Every big building completed in town in the last year is up for a Pug - some buildings come out as favourites too.

Just imagine: none of this rubbish within view existed a mere 10 years ago!

30 years ago, Massey Ferguson workers existed, though! (I prefer MF's to boring King West yuppies....)

Taken by urbandreamer, around 5PM 16 May 2008:

DSC04286.jpg
DSC04294.jpg

Do rubbish people live in these rubbish buildings?

General comment:

Has anyone checked out this area in person?
I have a few days ago.

It's actually pretty impressive yes the buildings them selves leave a lot to be desired but they actually look a lot better in person ... I'm not kidding check them out.

Some of the office conversions in the area are absolutely beautiful!

Also if this area would ever take off, in terms of all the office space in the retrofitted factories and what not it could make for a really really interesting environment ... king west just north of the area has already done a good job at this and has an amazing mix of high density 10 - 15 storey buildings with very interesting retail at grade level. With the tons of new development coming to this area I have high hopes for liberty village ... if only for the fact that king west is taking off ... driving by the entire area today I can certainly see why I'd love to live @ king east of Ossington all the way to Yonge .... actually even to the east but now I'm getting off track.

Conclusion .. check this area out in person before reaching any conclusions. All the buildings actually look quite a bit better in person, what I don't like is the lack of retail in of the new developments but I still think it has a good chance of coming together.

I did check it out this afternoon. The Village centre appears to be a giant parking lot with a strip mall attached just for good measure. The factory conversions are just fine. Alas, I see a battle brewing between the new townhouses and the new condo towers for ugliest building in the Village. The towers are just plain bland while the towns are faux something or other. The Liberty Lofts look promising in the renderings but then, even I woud look great with purple evening lighting. Just how many lost opportunities can one city have?

General comment: I would be deeply embarrassed to live--hell even rent--in LV. The architecture is absolutely appalling, the "park" is a joke and the retail is pathetic!

The contrast between Freedville and LV couldn't be greater. And yet Freedville imo, rates a mere B for effort. LV, if you rate at all, an F.

Remember the Great Fire of Toronto c1904? Well I look forward to something like that wiping out LV in ... 2104?

Every big building completed in town in the last year is up for a Pug - some buildings come out as favourites too.

I've noticed this several times now that people assume that the Pugs are just about recognizing offensive architecture. It must be the name.

I did check it out this afternoon. The Village centre appears to be a giant parking lot with a strip mall attached just for good measure. The factory conversions are just fine. Alas, I see a battle brewing between the new townhouses and the new condo towers for ugliest building in the Village. The towers are just plain bland while the towns are faux something or other. The Liberty Lofts look promising in the renderings but then, even I woud look great with purple evening lighting. Just how many lost opportunities can one city have?

I agree. The surface level parking lot across from the Dominion is very unfortunate, along with the strip mall with the parking lot of in front of the stores. It's fairly typical of the redevelopment of former concentrated industrial areas. Then there's the single storey Dominion itself, another lost opportunity. It has to be a matter of flawed planning, because the market should be justifying more than free surface parking lots, judging from the expensive development on King West.

General comment: I would be deeply embarrassed to live--hell even rent--in LV. The architecture is absolutely appalling, the "park" is a joke and the retail is pathetic!

The contrast between Freedville and LV couldn't be greater. And yet Freedville imo, rates a mere B for effort. LV, if you rate at all, an F.

Remember the Great Fire of Toronto c1904? Well I look forward to something like that wiping out LV in ... 2104?

True enough - twould make a smashing ruin.

I have to agree with taal here...

The buildings really do look much better in person. Overall I have high confidence that the village will be a huge success story once all 3 phases of the buildings are done and linked, the liberty towers and liberty on the park as well as liberty lofts are finished, and all of the landscaping completed.

People complain about the strip mall and i can't understand why, i live near the area and find myself there all the time doing things from renting movies at the blockbuster, buying miscellaneous items at the convenience store or grabbing a sandwich at the sandwich shop. To me its very convenient and valuable. There's also a bank across the street and not to mention the 24 hour dominion and LCBO. All within a stone's throw within each other! That to me says volumes about what the future demand for a cozy little neighbourhood like this will be.

The buzz and activity in this area seems to grow by the day, and is a huge difference from a year or two back when i first started going to the dominion. By the way urbandreamer, the rent for LV is high in demand. I was looking for a place a while back and came into competition for many places.

People complain about the strip mall and i can't understand why, i live near the area and find myself there all the time doing things from renting movies at the blockbuster, buying miscellaneous items at the convenience store or grabbing a sandwich at the sandwich shop. To me its very convenient and valuable. There's also a bank across the street and not to mention the 24 hour dominion and LCBO. All within a stone's throw within each other! That to me says volumes about what the future demand for a cozy little neighbourhood like this will be.

It's not about the retail of the strip mall, it's the form which is in question. An area with so many great conversions of interesting buildings that meet the street well gets this single storey strip mall which is architecturally boring. It has parking facing the street. The area is so close to downtown and the old buildings give the area an urban feel and allure that's cheapened with developments like this plaza and the adjacent grocery store.

Reading over your post again junctionist, can you clarify the beef you have with the "free surface level parking lot"?

What else would it be but a surface parking lot? And you say free as if that's a negative.

Reading over your post again junctionist, can you clarify the beef you have with the "free surface level parking lot"?

What else would it be but a surface parking lot? And you say free as if that's a negative.

It's wasted space where another office or condo with a business on the ground level, or parkland could be placed. Parking can always be underground or on a roof. Free parking is negative in the sense that it promotes car use for shorter distance everyday tasks. As result you get more traffic and pollution.

Back