News   Jul 24, 2024
 186     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 247     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 756     0 

Where is "downtown Toronto"?

My definition of downtown would mean a central area (not geographically) that has a maximum concentration of commercial (office towers) and retail space (especially high-end), along with hotels, and both, higher- and lower-end residential towers (this is of course broadly speaking). I would also consider areas in and around major transit hubs - like Union & Bloor-Yonge and St. George stations - to be central. Of course, then we have the consideration of entertainment options and if applicable, other services/offices/etc. that makes a certain area the epitome of a metropolis. In Toronto's case, I would include govt. and post-secondary institutions and consulates as examples of that. Finally, it's the 'feel' one gets when walking or driving in a particular area (although areas outside of downtown can also rival in that sense). On that note, for me, from the lake to the north-end of Yorkville and from Jarvis to Spadina (although I would include all of CityPlace, even west of Spadina) is downtown Toronto. That encompasses all the above-mentioned criteria as per what I see fit. :)

In regards to midtown and uptown, I still tend to think of those references as more geographical than anything else (unsurprisingly) and therefore, to me midtown is north of Yorkville upto and including Eglinton and uptown is north of that upto and including the North York strip/skyline on and just off of Yonge Street. Areas like the Danforth, Ossington, Annex, Distillery District, etc. are just cool & interesting inner-city neighborhoods that make Toronto a interesting metropolis.

:)

My definition of downtown would mean a central area (not geographically) that has a maximum concentration of commercial (office towers) and retail space (especially high-end), along with hotels, and both, higher- and lower-end residential towers (this is of course broadly speaking). I would also consider areas in and around major transit hubs - like Union & Bloor-Yonge and St. George stations - to be central. Of course, then we have the consideration of entertainment options and if applicable, other services/offices/etc. that makes a certain area the epitome of a metropolis. In Toronto's case, I would include govt. and post-secondary institutions and consulates as examples of that. Finally, it's the 'feel' one gets when walking or driving in a particular area (although areas outside of downtown can also rival in that sense). On that note, for me, from the lake to the north-end of Yorkville and from Jarvis to Spadina (although I would include all of CityPlace, even west of Spadina) is downtown Toronto. That encompasses all the above-mentioned criteria as per what I see fit. :)

In regards to midtown and uptown, I still tend to think of those references as more geographical than anything else (unsurprisingly) and therefore, to me midtown is north of Yorkville upto and including Eglinton and uptown is north of that upto and including the North York strip/skyline on and just off of Yonge Street. Areas like the Danforth, Ossington, Annex, Distillery District, etc. are just cool & interesting inner-city neighborhoods that make Toronto a interesting metropolis.

Downtown Toronto is whatever is shown in the downtown inset I see on my paper maps! No stressing required!

In New York, "Downtown" is more of a direction than a place. Though in my own view, I'd place true "Downtown" Manhattan below Houston. Midtown, of course, being in the 30s and 40s around the two train stations, the department stores, Times Square, and the ESB, Chrysler Building and the Rockefeller Center. There's no "Uptown" that I can think of, that's just a direction.

Uptown is very specifically the Upper East and Upper West sides. Thus the connotation of wealth that comes with the term.

"Uptown Girl," etc.

Like in London - "East End Boys and West End Girls", where the West End has traditionally been the "downtown" equivalent.

Like in London - "East End Boys and West End Girls", where the West End has traditionally been the "downtown" equivalent.

I think of the West End in London as being more consciously about a gritty but inventive and bohemian sensibility. New York's "Downtown" has always had a bit of a more grim, threatening quality-- dark shadows and menacing sounds.

In New York, "Downtown" is more of a direction than a place. Though in my own view, I'd place true "Downtown" Manhattan below Houston. Midtown, of course, being in the 30s and 40s around the two train stations, the department stores, Times Square, and the ESB, Chrysler Building and the Rockefeller Center. There's no "Uptown" that I can think of, that's just a direction.

There is such a "Downtown" Toronto, but it will vary from person to person. I generally go with close-in boundaries to define it separate from the residential and retail neighbourhoods around it. I really narrow that down to include Yorkville (but no further), Bathurst, Sherbourne and the lake. The Annex isn't downtown in my view. I'm living in Brockton right now, and people I work with consider that downtown (even those living in North York), but I never did, and I grew up in the 905.

Well the Annex is also the city's first "streetcar suburb."

Are Sussex-Ulster, Kensington, Alexandra Park and the Grange downtown?

Areas like the Danforth, Ossington, Annex, Distillery District, etc. are just cool & interesting inner-city neighborhoods that make Toronto a interesting metropolis. :)

Yeah, for some reason "hipness" is considered synonymous with "downtown-ness" in this city. As if there's only "downtown" and "suburbs."

So by this logic, Leslieville, say, used to be "out there." Now that a few hipsters live there, it's "downtown."

Last edited:
I think of the West End in London as being more consciously about a gritty but inventive and bohemian sensibility. New York's "Downtown" has always had a bit of a more grim, threatening quality-- dark shadows and menacing sounds.

It's also about the class divide - working class boys from the East End ( Cockneys ) and the bright lights of the big city and posh birds in the West End.

for me, from the lake to the north-end of Yorkville and from Jarvis to Spadina (although I would include all of CityPlace, even west of Spadina) is downtown Toronto. That encompasses all the above-mentioned criteria as per what I see fit. :)

why do you include "CityPlace", because there are 40 condos and hardly anything else? If so, there are many pockets in the city which should be classifed part of "downtown" (eg: Sheppard/Don Mills).

why do you include "CityPlace", because there are 40 condos and hardly anything else? If so, there are many pockets in the city which should be classifed part of "downtown" (eg: Sheppard/Don Mills).

kkgg7: again the definition of downtown is relative. you silly troll you......

I would include CityPlace because of its proximity to the Central Business District - as well, the east end of CityPlace is south of Rogers Centre, right? Well, that's pretty 'central' (and hence downtown to me). Did you read my post entirely? I'll quote myself: "it's the 'feel' one gets when walking or driving in a particular area (although areas outside of downtown can also rival in that sense)." So, regardless of CityPlace's relative lack of retail, it's still the periphery of downtown for me. You cite Sheppard/Don Mills as an example...the layout is high-density but does not give off a downtown vibe. Let me add another point here: I stated in my first post that midtown/uptown are Yonge/St. Clair, Yonge/Eglinton and North York (along Yonge Street) to me. Let's pretend to replace Sherbourne Street with the commercial nodes of St. Clair and Eglinton and Bathurst Street with the North York commercial node. To me, that would imply the 'downtown' should incorporate these new streets given the 'feel' they exude (a dense mix of commercial office towers, retail and of course residential towers). My point here is that there is no clear cut definition to separate downtown from the rest of the city. It's a subjective response based on what one feels is 'central' enough to be considered downtown regardless of whether there are other areas in the city that can rival the downtown feel or not (I personally feel Toronto and other large cities can boast to have a few areas that are very downtown-like, such as North York). :)

I would include CityPlace because of its proximity to the Central Business District - as well, the east end of CityPlace is south of Rogers Centre, right? Well, that's pretty 'central' (and hence downtown to me). Did you read my post entirely? I'll quote myself: "it's the 'feel' one gets when walking or driving in a particular area (although areas outside of downtown can also rival in that sense)." So, regardless of CityPlace's relative lack of retail, it's still the periphery of downtown for me. You cite Sheppard/Don Mills as an example...the layout is high-density but does not give off a downtown vibe. Let me add another point here: I stated in my first post that midtown/uptown are Yonge/St. Clair, Yonge/Eglinton and North York (along Yonge Street) to me. Let's pretend to replace Sherbourne Street with the commercial nodes of St. Clair and Eglinton and Bathurst Street with the North York commercial node. To me, that would imply the 'downtown' should incorporate these new streets given the 'feel' they exude (a dense mix of commercial office towers, retail and of course residential towers). My point here is that there is no clear cut definition to separate downtown from the rest of the city. It's a subjective response based on what one feels is 'central' enough to be considered downtown regardless of whether there are other areas in the city that can rival the downtown feel or not (I personally feel Toronto and other large cities can boast to have a few areas that are very downtown-like, such as North York). :)

I think in order to be called "downtown" or "midtown", you need to have a relatively large commercial/office area. I myself don't even think Yonge/St Clair/Eglington are ready to be called "Midtown" yet. I mean, midtown is a town, not part of one street.

Don't get me wrong, Yonge/St Clair/Eglington are very nice neighbourhood, much more vibrant than many parts of "downtown" - Dundas/Church, or Queen/Jarvis, or almost anywhere between Spadina and Bathust, for example. however, Toronto's so called "midtown" (and uptown as well for that matter) is to linear. everything is along Yonge st. At Yonge/St Clair, the stretch on Yonge is great, then 200 meters east of Yonge, there is nothing. There are some nice buildings on St Clair west, east of Spadina though. But it is extremely linear. I mean, Yonge/St Clair is literally Yonge St and the St Clair ave 500 meters east and west of Yonge. There is very little elsewhere. Yonge/Eglington is a bit better in that Mt Pleasant road is relatively busy. Yet it is still predominantly residential. too residential.

Strictly speaking, Toronto hasn't have a "midtown". Outside downtown, what it has are a few relatively busy intersections. A couple of busy intersections are not enough to make a "midtown". The fact Yonge street itself is full of retail doesn't really make those areas "midtown", either as a town is not supposed to be linear. You know what is linear? A small town where all stores/restaurants are located on one main street, sometimes called "main street", and 200m in each direction, it is exclusively houses, not so much unlike our midtown and uptown in that sense.

I really hope there are more commerical activites away from Yonge st, but there are not at present. The city seems to stubbornly circle around Yonge St without the intention of going in either direction.

I think in order to be called "downtown" or "midtown", you need to have a relatively large commercial/office area. I myself don't even think Yonge/St Clair/Eglington are ready to be called "Midtown" yet. I mean, midtown is a town, not part of one street.

Don't get me wrong, Yonge/St Clair/Eglington are very nice neighbourhood, much more vibrant than many parts of "downtown" - Dundas/Church, or Queen/Jarvis, or almost anywhere between Spadina and Bathust, for example. however, Toronto's so called "midtown" (and uptown as well for that matter) is to linear. everything is along Yonge st. At Yonge/St Clair, the stretch on Yonge is great, then 200 meters east of Yonge, there is nothing. There are some nice buildings on St Clair west, east of Spadina though. But it is extremely linear. I mean, Yonge/St Clair is literally Yonge St and the St Clair ave 500 meters east and west of Yonge. There is very little elsewhere. Yonge/Eglington is a bit better in that Mt Pleasant road is relatively busy. Yet it is still predominantly residential. too residential.

Strictly speaking, Toronto hasn't have a "midtown". Outside downtown, what it has are a few relatively busy intersections. A couple of busy intersections are not enough to make a "midtown". The fact Yonge street itself is full of retail doesn't really make those areas "midtown", either as a town is not supposed to be linear. You know what is linear? A small town where all stores/restaurants are located on one main street, sometimes called "main street", and 200m in each direction, it is exclusively houses, not so much unlike our midtown and uptown in that sense.

I really hope there are more commerical activites away from Yonge st, but there are not at present. The city seems to stubbornly circle around Yonge St without the intention of going in either direction.

Well, you also must take into account that each city has a different/unique layout pattern and while Toronto's midtown/uptown areas are more linear than others (as they mostly are on and just off of Yonge Street), in terms of the amount of office and retail space they have, they are definitely worthy of being designated as midtown and uptown. Yonge from St. Clair to Eglington has what 5-8 million sq. ft. of office space along with more retail space? North York has at least 10 million sq. ft of office space along with more retail space. In Toronto's context these areas are midtown and uptown enough as they show the highest concentration/density of non-residential uses outside of the greater downtown area. I obviously won't include business parks/clusters that could potentially have more office space. The fact that these three nodes are along the busiest subway line (and hence very accessible) along with having govt facilities (service ontario et al), makes them midtown/uptown...

If it isn't these three nodes that are midtown/uptown, what else is there? (And no, one really shouldn't say that Toronto has no midtown/uptown period, as that is far more incorrect than anything else.)

Back