News   May 22, 2024
 489     1 
News   May 22, 2024
 379     0 
News   May 22, 2024
 367     0 

What's Cooking?

Same - I rarely pay that much for wine, but yesterday I wanted a reward for standing at the stove for 20 minutes making the risotto after a day of work! I chose this one - it was rich and juicy, high in alcohol as Amarones tend to be, but that was unnoticeable. Entirely worth its comparatively reasonable price of $49.95, although I haven't tasted many Amarones. I will look for the wine you suggested, I usually love tempranillos.

View attachment 485240
Perhaps controversial, but risotto doesn't need to be an ordeal. A lot of the conventional wisdom about how it must be prepared doesn't seem to be supported by evidence. I've tried the below and it works quite well.

I’ve just done a basic Mac and cheese … fancy Kraft dinner (no boxes involved though!). I much prefer it baked. I’ve tried a number of things but generally only once. My IP is great for making steel cut oatmeal and yogurt, but otherwise I prefer other cooking methods.

In general, I think this thread ought to be about what we are all cooking, LOL; hence the title.

That said, as I was indulging the anniversary of my birth, I opted to let someone else do the pastry, in the form of Rahier, having made Opera Cake.

A slice of which was my breakfast.

DSC02226.jpg

Last edited:
In general, I think this thread ought to be about what we are all cooking, LOL; hence the title.

That said, as I was indulging the anniversary of my birth, I opted let someone else do the pastry, in the form of Rahier, having made Opera Cake.

View attachment 494748
Happy Birthday!

That said, as I was indulging the anniversary of my birth, I opted to let someone else do the pastry, in the form of Rahier, having made Opera Cake.

View attachment 494748
The breakfast of champions! Now where's the tiny strong coffee? :)

The breakfast of champions! Now where's the tiny strong coffee? :)

LOL, I don't have an espresso machine at home.

I did have a coffee w/the cake, I make my coffee red (just a hint of half and half, and 1tsp sugar).

The coffee is made in a French Press and steeps 4m'30s

Two new things for me last night; in terms of preparing them.

I made Chicken Xacuti, a northern Indian Curry. Then, I made my own Naan bread.
How did you make the naan, and was it good? I have tried to make it before and it came out... lacking. It wasn't inedible, but it was nothing like the real thing from a restaurant. I am not sure if I screwed up making the dough, or perhaps it was the cooking side where I didn't have the heat correct.

I have never made naan … was it a long process? (I realize I could look up a recipe!)
How did you make the naan, and was it good? I have tried to make it before and it came out... lacking. It wasn't inedible, but it was nothing like the real thing from a restaurant. I am not sure if I screwed up making the dough, or perhaps it was the cooking side where I didn't have the heat correct.

I got a new cookbook for my B-Day last month. The Curry Guy Bible.

I used his recipe for Curry House Naan.

Which is a cheat, in that there's no yeast (self-rising flour and eggs are your levenors)

He indicates this is the normal way its done in the resto industry, because you can make new dough multiple times a day.

It benefits from 3 hours rest time; but you can make it immediately as soon as the dough consistency is correct.

His only additive for flavour was Nigella (onion seed).

But you can obviously add some form of garlic seasoning ( I finished w/garlic salt); or other spices.

Total process time was about 30M.

I thought it turned out quite good; nice light crunch to the browned exterior and fluffy on the inside.

The recipe is online on his website, with photos:

Edit to add: I had no need to torch mine or use a flame to get it golden. Just a decently hot pan and flipped it like a pancake once it got decent colour on it.

Last edited:

Back