News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 686     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 311     0 

What's Cooking?

Tonight's Dinner:

Sea Salt and Freshly Cracked Black Pepper, crusted Pork Tenderloin, pan-seared, then oven-roasted, and fanned out alongside homemade chicken stock braised Basmati rice and steamed Broccoli and Red Bell Pepper; all coated in a pan sauce
of White Wine, Dijon and Dill, (w/garlic, shallot, and caper), reduced and finished w/butter and cream.

DSC01335.jpg

I was in the supermarket today..........and I saw fiddleheads......which told me, it was time for my favourite spring pasta dish.

Fresh Fettuccine with a sauce of morel mushrooms, shitake mushrooms, onion, garlic, homemade chicken stock, fresh thyme, white wine, dijon and a hint of Calabrian chili; made creamy with just a hint of butter and parm to finish; garnished w/fresh parsley and chive.

DSC01531.jpg

Pork shoulder roasts were on sale at Metro for $3/pound.
I cooked it in the oven at 200 degrees overnight, and just took it out now, so about twelve hours until it finally got up to 170 degrees per the thermometre. The meat just falls apart.

But it's going in the fridge now until tomorrow evening when it will be picked apart for sandwiches for some friends coming to watch the Leafs game.
That big piece of skin skin will go back in the oven first under the broiler for a few minutes to get nice and extra crispy. The fat in the pan will cook up some potatoes and onions.

IMG_20230511_110933.jpg

A variation of an NYT soup recipe I thought was intriguing...

DSC01609.jpg

Some folks aren't keen on the very green aesthetic, but I'm here to tell ya, it was delicious.

The original recipe off which I riffed is here: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1024184-asparagus-spinach-and-leek-soup

My only major change was to remove the Asparagus. I like asparagus, but two things weighed on me about its inclusion, in reading some of the comments, I found that some thought the asparagus got lost in all the strong flavours and was a bit of a waste in that regard.

The other is that I tend to prefer the thin asparagus, and what I found in the days leading up to this recipe was mostly thicker and woodier stock.

So I omitted that, as I like spice, I did increase the red chili flakes, and I found it needed a bit 'rounding' and added some cumin for that.

On balance, you're looking at Leek, Zucchini, Fennel and Baby Spinach soup, w/garlic, veg. stock, chilis, cumin, fresh parsley, mint, and cilantro; pureed, and fresh Fennel Frawn for garnish.

Fresh Linguine w/homemade pesto (Green Onion, Garlic, Lemon Zest, Lemon Juice, Reggiano (the good Parm); olive oil, flat-leaf parsley and walnuts) with a few Calabrian Chilis for good measure and some fresh parsley as garnish.

Linguine Pesto2.jpg

Last edited:
I improvised this dish of mezze rigatoni (by Rummo, my favourite brand of gluten-free pasta next to Garofalo). I cooked a shallot, garlic and a few slices of prosciutto gently in butter, then added a large chunk of gorgonzola dolce cut in cubes and some heavy cream. In went a bag of fresh peas previously cooked in vegetable stock, and a large handful of chopped roasted walnuts.
Next time I'll try speck instead of prosciutto.
20230529_183321.jpg

A quick brunch shot from the other day, mostly to showcase the side salad on the plate, the leaves and flowers of which came from my balcony garden:

BrunchJune23.jpg

Bacon, a hash of Potato Rosti (shredded potato) crisped in clarified butter, a side salad of red oak leaf lettuce, radicchio castelfranco, english cucumber, grape tomato, red onion and pansie, tossed in a White Balsamic vinaigrette.

Greens and Pansies are homegrown (and yes, Pansies are edible).

Garden pics in their own thread.

Classic osso buco with risotto alla milanese tonight (the bone fell off). Sounds fancy, but veal shank slices, if you can find them, are about $4 per person. When Maisie has them, I buy some immediately. But it does take at least a couple of hours to cook. The lavish part was the Amarone!
20230613_182355.jpg

Classic osso buco with risotto alla milanese tonight (the bone fell off). Sounds fancy, but veal shank slices, if you can find them, are about $4 per person. When Maisie has them, I buy some immediately. But it does take at least a couple of hours to cook. The lavish part was the Amarone! View attachment 485141

Looks exquisite; and I love a good Amarone; however, at prices typically starting in the mid 40s per bottle and going a lot higher, I'm not a buyer very often. At that price
I don't want a good wine that might be an Amarone; I want a great wine; and where the typicity of the varietal sings.

May I ask which one you picked up?

This one was on tasting at LCBO Summerhill yesterday:

It was genuinely good; but at $63.95.........no; $20 cheaper and I would have been a buyer, but good is not good enough at $60+

I tried one other wine while there, it was only $23.95 and it super impressed:

1686746557822.png

Spanish, Tempranillo, aged 24 months.

Great nose, fulsome palate, nice finish.

Looks exquisite; and I love a good Amarone; however, at prices typically starting in the mid 40s per bottle and going a lot higher, I'm not a buyer very often. At that price
I don't want a good wine that might be an Amarone; I want a great wine; and where the typicity of the varietal sings.

May I ask which one you picked up?

This one was on tasting at LCBO Summerhill yesterday:

It was genuinely good; but at $63.95.........no; $20 cheaper and I would have been a buyer, but good is not good enough at $60+

I tried one other wine while there, it was only $23.95 and it super impressed:

Spanish, Tempranillo, aged 24 months.

Great nose, fulsome palate, nice finish.
Same - I rarely pay that much for wine, but yesterday I wanted a reward for standing at the stove for 20 minutes making the risotto after a day of work! I chose this one - it was rich and juicy, high in alcohol as Amarones tend to be, but that was unnoticeable. Entirely worth its comparatively reasonable price of $49.95, although I haven't tasted many Amarones. I will look for the wine you suggested, I usually love tempranillos.

433417.jpg.thumb.2048.2048.jpg

although I haven't tasted many Amarones.

For me, Amarone and a good Old Vine Zinfandel stand out for having a raisin note present in the finished product. You don't want to be overwhelming/cloying, but its quite distinct.

In the case of the former, from the wine making technique, in the case of the latter, a product of varietal type and age of vine as well as in-season pruning.

There's nothing wrong with an otherwise lush Amarone that lacks that characteristic, but you're paying for the technique called appassimento, where you dry the grapes after picking, until they have 40% less liquid and can take as long as 120 days (well on their way to being raisins!) ; that and a longer fermentation period. Those add real costs.

So I look for that in Ammarone, since that's what I'm paying for.....

If I just want a full-bodied mouth feel, there are other rich reds where one can get great product at a lower price point.

All this wine discussion before noon! Amarones are quite good but it’s a case of trying to find the great one that won’t hit the wallet too hard. Personally, if not Amarones I usually go for Primitivos and Appassimentos. My go favourites lately have been Eastern European and Greek wines. For a while now a friend and I would pick up random bottles from a certain region and just have it as a taste testing with a meal. It’s a fun way to discover and understand the cultural-regional preferences.

Georgian wines are a win for me.

All this wine discussion before noon!

Drinking them before noon, or even dinner is dubious; but talking about them is just fine! LOL

Amarones are quite good but it’s a case of trying to find the great one that won’t hit the wallet too hard. Personally, if not Amarones I usually go for Primitivos and Appassimentos.

I agree, and would say the same of Old Vin Zins; there are cheaper ones, but they're rarely particularly good; but its far from universal that paying more means getting better.

My go favourites lately have been Eastern European and Greek wines. For a while now a friend and I would pick up random bottles from a certain region and just have it as a taste testing with a meal. It’s a fun way to discover and understand the cultural-regional preferences.

Georgian wines are a win for me.

Name any specific favs pls; I will have a look-see.

Last edited:
For me, Amarone and a good Old Vine Zinfandel stand out for having a raisin note present in the finished product. You don't want to be overwhelming/cloying, but its quite distinct.

In the case of the former, from the wine making technique, in the case of the latter, a product of varietal type and age of vine as well as in-season pruning.

There's nothing wrong with an otherwise lush Amarone that lacks that characteristic, but you're paying for the technique called appassimento, where you dry the grapes after picking, until they have 40% less liquid and can take as long as 120 days (well on their way to being raisins!) ; that and a longer fermentation period. Those add real costs.

So I look for that in Ammarone, since that's what I'm paying for.....

If I just want a full-bodied mouth feel, there are other rich reds where one can get great product at a lower price point.
Indeed, I was reading about this last night. I think you would find that characteristic in the one I bought. It makes me want to try more of them... eventually!

Back