News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.1K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.8K     1 

What's Cooking?

Tonight's dinner:

A dry-rubbed, Pork Tenderloin (curry, garamasala, cumin, lime zest, salt, ginger powder, cayenne), oven-roasted, then sliced, fanned over Kashmiri chili, cilantro, and ginger couscous w/fresh mint, and steamed broccoli on the side.

All coated in a rich curry pan sauce, w/homemade chicken stock, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, garamasala, cumin, a hint of soy, some sugar, lime zest and lime juice, reduced and then thickened with cold butter whisked in off the heat.

DSC03987.jpg

Tonight's dinner:

A dry-rubbed, Pork Tenderloin (curry, garamasala, cumin, lime zest, salt, ginger powder, cayenne), oven-roasted, then sliced, fanned over Kashmiri chili, cilantro, and ginger couscous w/fresh mint, and steamed broccoli on the side.

All coated in a rich curry pan sauce, w/homemade chicken stock, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, garamasala, cumin, a hint of soy, some sugar, lime zest and lime juice, reduced and then thickened with cold butter whisked in off the heat.

View attachment 569713
Awesome. But it’s really just the steamed broccoli I question. A. That I have consumed enough steamed brocolli for a lifetime I think, and B. We are still harvesting fresh Ontario grown asparagus…..and not much tops fresh and local asparagus. Peas, strawberries and beets coming soon.

Awesome. But it’s really just the steamed broccoli I question. A.

I like Broccoli. To be clear, steamed in this context does not mean turned into mush, nor does it mean plain.

I pre-heated the saute pan, with just a hint of neutral oil, took it almost to smoking, and quickly charted the cut-side of the veg for about 45s, then I added a cup of water, and put a lid and went 45s more, then I removed it, still tender-crisp.

It was also coated in the lovely sauce you see on the bottom of the plate, there was ample for the veg and the carbs!

I like Asparagus, especially w/east-Asian flavours like Sesame and Soy, but I have to find the thin stuff. For some reason, in Ontario, we grow more of the thick asparagus, and I find that texture unappealing.

I like Broccoli. To be clear, steamed in this context does not mean turned into mush, nor does it mean plain.

I pre-heated the saute pan, with just a hint of neutral oil, took it almost to smoking, and quickly charted the cut-side of the veg for about 45s, then I added a cup of water, and put a lid and went 45s more, then I removed it, still tender-crisp.

It was also coated in the lovely sauce you see on the bottom of the plate, there was ample for the veg and the carbs!

I like Asparagus, especially w/east-Asian flavours like Sesame and Soy, but I have to find the thin stuff. For some reason, in Ontario, we grow more of the thick asparagus, and I find that texture unappealing.
I, on the other hand, are far too guilty of feeling rushed, so a quick chop, into the non stick with some water and a lid, and steam. I like what you are doing and will think a little harder next time.

As for size re asparagus. I agree. It is a tendency, and I think part of that is consumer driven, size equates to value. Harvesting just a little earlier will yield smaller in diameter stalks. However, you really want a European variety or the female plant of the North American - probably a Mary Washington or Apollo - known for size and yield. Very North American that.

Now for a discussion of the libation to be consumed?

Cheers!

Back