News   Jun 17, 2024
 905     3 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 455     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Waterfront: Portlands Sports Complex (8s?, RDH Architects) DEAD

Why not build more hockey rinks at CNE grounds, you know that place with thousands of empty parking spots all winter long?

Seriously, underground parking is not even innovative.

Hume is dead right on this one. Unfortunately the majority of people in this city only think of the simple solutions. You could easily house 4 rinks and parking in a multi-story building. Hell, you could even combine the development with retail, housing or offices. The rest of the world is doing it and there's no reason we couldn't. It just takes dedication to doing something better.

It would also probably improve the experience of using the facility. You wouldn't have to deal with weather or carrying large bags of equipment long distances.

Ever heard of UNDERGROUND PARKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Expensive. Especially when soil remediation might not have needed to go that deep. Also, being by the lake, it would require lots of sumps.

Ever heard of UNDERGROUND PARKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know how big of an underground facility you would need for 400+ parking spots? how does that compare to other underground facilities in the city? And yes, you need that many spots. Looking at 4-pad rinks across the province, most have at the very least 350 spots.

Before you go trying to attract as much attention as possible to yourself, you should probably consider the logistics and feasibility of such a project. As Glen mentions it would be a very expensive endeavour. Considering the immense need for arenas in this city, I wouldn't want to propose anything that puts the project in jeopardy.

Do you know how big of an underground facility you would need for 400+ parking spots? how does that compare to other underground facilities in the city? And yes, you need that many spots. Looking at 4-pad rinks across the province, most have at the very least 350 spots.

Before you go trying to attract as much attention as possible to yourself, you should probably consider the logistics and feasibility of such a project. As Glen mentions it would be a very expensive endeavour. Considering the immense need for arenas in this city, I wouldn't want to propose anything that puts the project in jeopardy.

I think the real problem here is why 4 rinks ... that's common place out in the suburbs but do we really need that here. If you look at the model the old city took, they built many ice rinks (but just 1) and they're close by. As opposed to the model adopted by most suburbs i.e. build 4+ in one location and have them located a lot further apart.

Also, not sure if weight is an issue but what about an above ground parking lot with the rink on top of it?

I think the real problem here is why 4 rinks ... that's common place out in the suburbs but do we really need that here. If you look at the model the old city took, they built many ice rinks (but just 1) and they're close by. As opposed to the model adopted by most suburbs i.e. build 4+ in one location and have them located a lot further apart.

4 rinks are more efficient than 1 or 2, simply put. You only need 1/4 of the maintenance staff, 1 zamboni (although most 4-pads have 2, but I've played in ones with only 1. Just makes scheduling tighter) and I wouldn't doubt that the cost to keep a 4 pad cold is cheaper than a 1 or 2 pad. Also, if there's the space here for 4 rinks, then you want to make the most of it. Why limit the amount of recreation space? If there was enough room for 4 soccer fields, we wouldn't build 2. Also, 4 pads provide far greater flexibility. You can host a fairly good size tournament (re: make money) and still have 1 rink available for alternative uses. And, ultimately, we need 4. There's a huge need for arenas in Toronto and Ontario as a whole. Most communities only have about 50% of what they need to meet demand from my experience.

If they actually build 4 rinks and they are used at capacity, wouldn't having an additional 350 cars right next to downtown be more of an incentive to continue to develop the Lower Don Lands? Plus, a 440-space parking garage would likely build fairview mall-style and not surface parking. Plus, I think it would be great to have rec leagues downtown again, since they are currently few and far between.

If underground parking garages are prohibitive, what about elevating the rink above the parking, sort of like the urban Loblaws concept? What about buidling the parking on the roof (yes, this calls for a reinforced roof, but you could also provide structural supports to eventually support a residential highrise on top)? What about building a parking garage across the street and connecting to the rink via a footbridge? There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Money and politics.....

but question is.. is there that much demand by the lower don lands to fill up 4 hockey arenas?

I guess they think there will be once the new condos are built?

Money and politics.....

but question is.. is there that much demand by the lower don lands to fill up 4 hockey arenas?

I guess they think there will be once the new condos are built?

The idea is that it's supposed to be a regional arena. People will drive there from all over the city.

Then why not disperse those hockey rinks and their parking lots all over the city!
Your answer:
4 rinks are more efficient than 1 or 2, simply put. You only need 1/4 of the maintenance staff, 1 zamboni (although most 4-pads have 2, but I've played in ones with only 1. Just makes scheduling tighter) and I wouldn't doubt that the cost to keep a 4 pad cold is cheaper than a 1 or 2 pad. Also, if there's the space here for 4 rinks, then you want to make the most of it. Why limit the amount of recreation space? If there was enough room for 4 soccer fields, we wouldn't build 2. Also, 4 pads provide far greater flexibility. You can host a fairly good size tournament (re: make money) and still have 1 rink available for alternative uses. And, ultimately, we need 4. There's a huge need for arenas in Toronto and Ontario as a whole. Most communities only have about 50% of what they need to meet demand from my experience.

And as for whether this will be used - this is Canada... good luck finding an empty hockey rink.

Jn_12

You argue for these above ground parking spots as if you were in charge of making that decision. Its ok to admit someone made a boo boo. Sure underground parking for that many cars is going to cost a ton. But I am pretty sure it cant be any more then the average condo building downtown. If they cant build it right then it shouldn't be built. If MONEY is the be all and end all why not just move it to a place like the cne grounds where 99% of the time parking spaces are available. Or how about a partnership with a condo developer that would build buildings but not need so much parking. There has to be a better sollution then a concrete eyesore. Downtown is suppose to be about density. How much parking is underneath skydome, ACC? Could you imagine we as a city didnt build condos arround those buildings because we couldn't give up PARKING SPOTS. This is suppose to be on land which is the jewel of the city, its not suppose to be suburbia at its best.

Back