3.1K     2 
News   May 31, 2024
 1K     0 

Waterfront: Portlands Sports Complex (8s?, RDH Architects) DEAD

R

rdaner

From Canadian Choco on SSC:

A rink of their own

Women's and girls' hockey could get a boost if new waterfront project gets the go-ahead, by Mary Ormsby
January 13, 2007
Mary Ormsby
Sports Reporter

The Leaside girls hockey teams play out of 16 different arenas across Toronto because access to affordable ice is so scarce.

Local women who have been the core of Canada's national team frequently leave family, jobs and school behind to train in Calgary. And cheaper, more plentiful suburban arenas to the west are tempting the elite Toronto Aeros junior women's team to leave town.

All the evidence suggests area arenas have long underserved the GTA's approximately 10,000 female hockey players. But a solution could take shape next week when local officials consider a proposed $30 million four-pad arena for the waterfront.

Not only would the development be the GTA's first largely taxpayer-funded arena in more than a quarter-century, it would be the first with a rink dedicated exclusively to female hockey.

The plan, to be discussed Tuesday by the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Committee, features an Olympic-sized surface that would be used as a regional training centre for the women's national teams and to stage international competitions. Two other ice pads would be regulation size and one would be dry for sports like box lacrosse.

Toronto's Vicky Sunohara, an Olympic gold medallist at the 2006 Olympic Games in Turin, said female players are desperate for the facility.

"It's pretty amazing they're going to have one pad for women," said the 36-year-old Sunohara, who leaves for a week-long national training camp Sunday in Calgary.

"I still hear about so many (girls) teams and leagues who have a tough time getting ice and they get put on some crazy ice times and playing in the not-so-great arenas so this is great news for women."

Ted Ashwin, general manager of the Aeros, agrees.

"I'm either going to have to move out of the city to find ice that's appropriate to our level of play," said Ashwin of his program that produces GTA players for U.S. hockey scholarships, adding, "Or, I'll need help in finding the right spot."

The waterfront committee, which received $20 million for sports infrastructure from the federal government in 2004, will discuss the results of a feasibility study. The following day, Wednesday, there will be a public forum on the plans for Lake Ontario Park, an area bounded by the outer harbour between Cherry Beach and Ashbridges Bay and including Tommy Thompson Park.

No arena site has been decided, but sources say Unwin Avenue near Cherry Street is a location under discussion, possibly directly across from Lake Ontario Park but not in it.

"It's a no-brainer," said Brenda Librecz, general manager of the city's parks, forestry and recreation department of taking the user stress off the city's 50 indoor arenas by catering to the booming women's game.

"The city wins in getting an ice rink that will be available to the community, we donate one pad completely to female hockey. ... This is a win-win situation for the objectives of the waterfront in drawing more people to the port lands as a destination."

But not everyone is as quick to embrace hockey as a perfect addition to the coveted waterfront.

"If you're going to be coming down to a new park, you don't want to be running into a huge concrete building as the first thing you see," said city councillor Paula Fletcher, who worries a building with a parking lot will detract from the beauty of the greenbelt. "An arena isn't exactly the most attractive building."

Fletcher said she would fight any plan to ensure an arena "is not stuck onto or into the park" but said a blending of sports needs with park needs is possible.

"I think we have to plan holistically and we'll find a place for everything," said Fletcher, who will attend Wednesday's public forum.

Should the waterfront corporation decide to proceed with the arena, the $10 million funding shortfall could be made up with a blend of government and private sector resources, a spokesperson from Mayor David Miller's office yesterday

Once such example of a private-public partnership is the planned $29 million practice facility for the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Marlies in the west end.

Financing is coming from Maple Leaf Sport and Entertainment and the Lakeshore Lions. During non prime time hours, the city has access to ice at below-market rates, with ice time reserved for the Etobicoke Dolphins girls hockey league.

Librecz says it has been 26 years since an arena was built with taxpayer funds. A pair of Scarborough facilities – Malvern and Scarborough Arena Gardens – were erected in 1981. No arenas have been built in the city's core since the 1970s.

Librecz says studies show demand on city arenas continues to grow, especially with more adults playing the game, and more facilities are needed, not just to make ice available but to provide it at a lower cost than the pricey private arenas.

The Leaside Wildcats girls program, for instance, uses private arenas for 45 per cent of its ice time to give its 732 players on 47 teams a place to play. Jordan Grant, Leaside's volunteer director of strategic ice acquisition – yes, that's his title – said the typical city rate for ice is $147 an hour whereas the league pays up to $334 per hour at private rinks.

"That's the killer, the cost of the ice,'' said Grant, who "scrounges" ice at so many arenas to find bargains since Leaside Memorial Arena, a city facility, can't alone service its youth boys and girls programs. There is also a preliminary city proposal to expand Leaside to two pads.

Fran Ryder, the executive director of the Ontario Women's Hockey League, commended the proposed waterfront arena as a public validation of female hockey.

"Ten years ago it would have been beyond belief that an arena would cater exclusively to women," Ryder said. "But the women's game is growing, awareness is growing and it's all good for the game."

Wow, so far the developments are definitely stunning. First film shoot warehouses and now ice rink warehouses. What other use which comes with buildings that looks like warehouses will they consider on the waterfront next? Seriously... if they are going to build an arena in the portlands the least they could do it locate it next to the film warehouses and away from any waterfront or park sightlines.

My thoughts exactly, the waterfront is no place for an arena. Although at this point I’m not going to get bent out of shape about it. So far the waterfront has been nothing more then talk and proposals, very little has taken shape as of yet.

Yeah, I'll take a pass on the arenas.

Enough new hockey arenas are being built in the 905 region to meet demand. If anything, Toronto should focus on rebuilding and repairing existing rinks throughout the city.

What Toronto really needs are summer sports facilities, especially an Olympic sized swimming pool. I would love to see a proposal for that in the portlands. A swimming facilities would engage more residents and visitors than any hockey rink.

Louroz

The warehouse possibilities for the waterfront seem endless. We may end up with a "warehouses in the park" scenario down there.

I agree with FutureMayor: focus on repairing or rebuilding existing rinks.

Meanwhile, up at UCC work has started on a new double-pad, LEED-certified arena to replace the present one. Not public, but I believe it will be available for rent whenever not in use by the school, so that's something, anyway.

Sports and parks go hand in hand and the portlands seems too far from the central downtown area to develop into the showcase waterfront (and why assume design won't be a consideration) bring it on

I would love to see a proper, 2000M+ rowing course, as we have been promised for years, somewhere in the plans, but it appears for now we will have to settle for the joke under construction by Sunnyside.

Twin outdoor hockey rinks are nearing completion at Alexandra Park at Dundas and Bathurst.

I'd love to see some more outdoor rinks around the city. It seems like this is usually a downtown thing, but I think it would be just as popular in suburban areas.

No to waterfront sports complex
By BILL LANKHOF, TORONTO SUN

The Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corporation will not build a regional sports complex on the portlands.

A feasibility study showed it will cost about $35 million -- almost twice the $20 million the federal government gave the city to build a facility -- to build a four-pad arena. That doesn't include the much-talked about long-track speed skating oval, gymnastics facilities or an Olympic-size pool.

The good news, said project co-ordinator and chairman of the Toronto Sports Council, Karen Pitre, is that a four-pad arena will be built.

"We need to figure out how to close the gap to get the complete amount of funding that's required. People want it to be a great facility. Not just a twinpad. We're looking at a regional facility that can host tournaments. Something the city doesn't have."

So, the proposal goes back to a TWRC committee that will work with city planners and parks officials on arena construction details and finding additional funding.

"Toronto is a tough place to get things done. I know why nothing happens on the waterfront because unless you drive it like a freight train it doesn't happen," Pitre said.

Something will happen before the next corporation meeting in March, she said.

"We joke about the fact most of the arenas are called Centennial for a reason -- most were built in the 1960s," Pitre said.

I see no reason that an arena shouldn't be built in an urban neighbourhood in the port lands. The port lands are huge - they're going to be more than just boardwalks and cafes. Arenas may not be glamorous but they can be made to fit into an urban area just like any other building.

Portlands Arena: A study in why Toronto will never be a great city

Hume: Hockey trumps planning in Toronto

May 03 2010

By Christopher Hume

thestar_logo.gif

Read More: http://www.thestar.com/yourcitymyci...-trumps-planning-in-toronto-the-mediocre?bn=1

#####################################

This is a story about why Toronto is not and never will be a great city. It is a tale of mediocrity told by a cast of characters ranging from our high-profile mayor, David Miller, to a faceless but senior bureaucrat named Richard Butts. The plot revolves around a proposed sports complex on the Lower Don Lands, yet its significance goes well beyond the waterfront. In its own way, it is an allegory of a city where expediency beats excellence every time.

The story goes back a decade with the formation of Waterfront Toronto. Created by the three levels of government, its mandate was to revitalize the former industrial lands along the shores of Lake Ontario. To that purpose, design competitions were organized and plans drawn up. That process continues, but remaking the waterfront will take 20 or 30 years. In the meantime, facing pressure from the local sport lobby, especially the girls’ hockey contingent, the city decided the Lower Don Lands would be an ideal location for a four-rink facility and the 440 parking spots that would come with it.

Waterfront planners liked the idea, but worried the scheme would be more appropriate in a suburban setting, not a sustainable, mixed-use urban community on the water’s edge. These reservations were about design, not use. Though these objections were dealt with, the city said no. “The sports complex doesn’t negatively impact the Lower Don Lands Plan,†Butts, an assistant deputy city manager, insists. “This is a good opportunity to meet the needs of a broad spectrum of people.â€

Internationally respected architect/planner, Ken Greenberg, agrees with Butts that the complex represents an opportunity, but not in the form Butts wants. That’s why Greenberg, who was part of the design team, resigned abruptly last month. As he wrote in his letter resignation, “it appears that this chance to do something innovative and of great quality is being squandered.â€

#####################################

I think this was posted somewhere else already, because I remember everyone agreeing that Christopher Hume is a washed up prima donna fool.

Unfortunately, hockey arenas need parking. Obviously there are ways around this, as there's nothing to say there could be street-side development with the arena/parking lot tucked in behind, but we have a huge need in this city for arenas and to me, sometimes good planning isn't everything. I disagree with his argument that this is no different than a big box store. We don't need another big box store that contributes nothing to our culture and community, but an arena services both of those aspects and is both a necessity and good for downtown Toronto.

The article implies that Greenberg thinks we can not do something "innovative and of great quality" that includes this four-pad arena with parking.

What it doesn't say is if that was because he couldn't/wouldn't work it in to the plans or because the city is insisting on some ghastly footprint-maximizing design that really will ruin the neighbourhood.
I would like to know which one it is.

Back