News   Jul 16, 2024
 658     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 588     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 731     2 

VIA Rail

So they want a stop at Eglinton eh? Here's what the area looks like at the moment. I'm going to cross post this in the Crosstown thread to see if folks there have a reaction. I can't remember if a rail-LRT connection was looked at during the Crosstown LRT study process. Wonder what CP would want to put a station there? The addition of two dedicated tracks including bridge expansion?
Yeah, another $half-billion.

And people wonder why I don't buy the numbers on this.

Someone should tell the brain-trust behind this, that there's a 3-D view now on Google Maps ... :)

Who, exactly, is consulting on this? SRRA (the same people who dreamed up what Tory called SmartTrack)?

It would be so much easier to try to consolidate CN and CP trains on one corridor between Toronto, and say, Belleville on the existing lines, and use the other for VIA and whatever local freight services are needed. Focus only on a new line between Belleville, Kingston, and Ottawa.

Thought we may get a Havelock station, at least for a 1/day milk run. Guess not.

So they want a stop at Eglinton eh? Here's what the area looks like at the moment. I'm going to cross post this in the Crosstown thread to see if folks there have a reaction. I can't remember if a rail-LRT connection was looked at during the Crosstown LRT study process. Wonder what CP would want to put a station there? The addition of two dedicated tracks including bridge expansion?

I'm inclined to think the station would be at the old Leaside station site, and not Eglinton itself. It's straighter track, once had a station before, and the old station site may even be owned by the Prov (bundled with the Don Branch purchase). Not great for rapid transit access now, but could be with an RL linkage through Thorncliffe.

I'm inclined to think the station would be at the old Leaside station site, and not Eglinton itself. It's straighter track, once had a station before, and the old station site may even be owned by the Prov (bundled with the Don Branch purchase). Not great for rapid transit access now, but could be with an RL linkage through Thorncliffe.

Good point. Forgot about the former Leaside Station site.

Noticed this posted by Transport Action:

Omnitrax won't fix the line to Churchill
Calls the railway a public utility
Winnipeg Free Press: Omnitrax estimates it will cost between $20 million and $60 million to repair the line and can be done in 60 days. But Omnitrax senior executive Peter Touesnard said "Because we have determined the rail line lacks commercial viability and now (faced) with millions of dollars of damage... we can't justify the resources necessary to repair the line," he said at a lengthy press conference this morning.
Full story:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/…/omnitrax-wont-fix-rail-l…
Winnipeg Free Press
Posted: 07/18/2017 1:10 PM

See also
CBC News, ”It [the rail line] is not commercially viable, so we believe it's a public utility," said Peter Touesnard, chief commercial officer for Omnitrax.
http://www.cbc.ca/…/manitoba-churchill-omnitrax-rail-1.4210…
CBC News, Updated: Jul 18, 2017 1:19 PM CT

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/…/omnitrax-wont-fix-rail-l…

If they relaid the K+P down to Kingston, and maybe the Bonarlaw to Trenton route, they could drop that pesky Lakeshore route altogether!

I see there is nothing promised in potential commuter stops such as Claremont Blackstock Myrtle or even Norwood.

- Paul

Here is a map from a June 29, 2017 VIA meeting with Frontenac County
https://frontenac.civicweb.net/FileStorage/370C6E9D99FA4F20AB75E8AEF77D3C3C-CAO Monthly Report July 2017 tj kjpfinal.pdf
36007858805_622e59fd45_b.jpg

Great find! I'm a fan of the Eglinton stop, it will be a great place to transfer to the Crosstown LRT. Surprised there isn't a Markham stop however as York Region isn't serviced by VIA Rail. Most trains will most likely blow through places like Tweed and Sharbot Lake as there is no way that the market is big enough for regular stops there.

What is interesting is the "Existing Improved" category in the map legend. Most stations on the lakeshore routing are identified as such. I wonder what that means?

I posted here on July 6th the list of consultants. Not sure if it's a complete list.
I don't think any of those contracts would relate to alignment, etc. Which makes sense, as we'd started to hear about this alignment, before the funding appeared for those contracts.

And that's the mystery to me. Which consultant has looked at it. Or which old study has been unearthed, that has enough details, that avoids any further work, until this time. VIA had reports done on various CP and CN alignments in the 1980s - but I don't think this was one of them. Was it in Alternatives to Air?

Might have to do some research.
What is interesting is the "Existing Improved" category in the map legend. Most stations on the lakeshore routing are identified as such. I wonder what that means?
A coat of paint, and a new automatic ticket machine.

Really, HFR will stop at Tweed and Sharbot Lake? those are tiny little villages. I hope they only make a few trains a day at most make those stops.

I couldn't find a population for Sharbot Lake in a quick look but I saw something suggesting under 700 in a 7 km radius. Has anyone ever been there? It looks nice on Google Maps. The local medical clinic seems to have been built right on (I don't mean beside) the former ROW. Perhaps it could double as a station.

I couldn't find a population for Sharbot Lake in a quick look but I saw something suggesting under 700 in a 7 km radius. Has anyone ever been there? It looks nice on Google Maps. The local medical clinic seems to have been built right on (I don't mean beside) the former ROW. Perhaps it could double as a station.

Not sure if I've been through in recent memory, but basically everywhere around there is nice. TVO aired a good docu-series on the stretch of Hwy 7 bordering to the west which offers an interesting glimpse. So close to major centres, but still very remote. Called Lost Highway (the title gives an idea of the area's present situation). Also there was a series called The Land Between that had some episodes covering the general area that comes on from time to time.

I can't really see why a station would be offered in Sharbot if both Tweed and Smith Falls are covered. It's pretty remote. But the lack of a Havelock station can be surprising considering it's somewhat optimized for one. Flat, straight, level, has numerous sidings for the Unimin loads, has the old station building being used for restaurants. If they start meeting regularly with Ptboro Cty reps I think there may be noise for a station.

Last edited:
There is a certain amount of cottage country around Sharbot Lake. Winter may be a different story, but a stop somewhere in the middle might draw people who don't want to make a winter weather drive all the way to Ottawa or Toronto.

- Paul

The current stop for VIA is at Guildwood which is a little further east. I'm surprised that VIA would propose a new location that's closer in. I would have thought somewhere a bit further out towards Markham Road say would be better to serve the east end of the city, as well as Durham Region and Markham.

Assuming this new line is to draw the majority of the Ottawa and Montreal customers away from the Lakeshore line, there needs to be an Oshawa equivalent also.

There is also the issue that the old suburban station (Guildwood) is in a certain borough that begins with the letter S, while the new station location is not. If located a bit further up the line, it could be much, much closer to where Line 2 will terminate in a few years and where all the urban development is supposedly heading. I'm not going any further with this, but I suspect some might find this a concern.

- Paul

Back