News   Jul 16, 2024
 641     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 577     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 716     2 

VIA Rail

Are the co-ordinates of the old Leaside station the same as shown on the Wikipedia page? https://www.google.com/maps/place/43°42'16.0"N+79°21'22.0"W/@43.7037055,-79.3562852,102a,35y,39.47t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d43.704444!4d-79.356111?hl=en

Gosh, is the the 1940s structure? I don't think I've ever even seen pictures of that. I had no idea it was still there.

Looking at the City of Toronto mapping, the land that building is on (if it is the station) is clearly owned by CPR. There's a block that's clearly Hydro. Another is Esso. I don't see how Metrolinx owns anything. That wiki page also says the Havelock service ended in 1982. I'll delete some stuff.

View attachment 115512
property lines in Toronto maps are MPAC data, and not legal surveys. Its tough to know if it has been severed or if CP still owns it.

property lines in Toronto maps are MPAC data, and not legal surveys. Its tough to know if it has been severed or if CP still owns it.
True, and they aren't instantaneous either - but it's unlikely to be 8 years out of date! I've seen much, much more recent property subdivisions showing up. Unless they somehow lost track of it ... which is possible, but unlikely.

You'd think there'd be some kind of open public record of transaction for GO/Metrolinx purchases. Hard to believe there's an old station house sitting in the heart of East York and we don't know who it belongs to. Right now I'm thinking CP, because of what nfitz and smallspy posted, and it kinda seems logical all things considered. Metrolinx would hardly be up that way, and because of that it'd probably be overrun with hobos (which CP wouldn't want right along its mainline). Streetview got partway up Village Station Rd and you can see the structure.

Are the co-ordinates of the old Leaside station the same as shown on the Wikipedia page? https://www.google.com/maps/place/43°42'16.0"N+79°21'22.0"W/@43.7037055,-79.3562852,102a,35y,39.47t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d43.704444!4d-79.356111?hl=en

Gosh, is the the 1940s structure? I don't think I've ever even seen pictures of that. I had no idea it was still there.

Looking at the City of Toronto mapping, the land that building is on (if it is the station) is clearly owned by CPR. There's a block that's clearly Hydro. Another is Esso. I don't see how Metrolinx owns anything. That wiki page also says the Havelock service ended in 1982. I'll delete some stuff.

View attachment 115512

Yes, buried in all that is the 1940s International Style station. It was last used about 15 or 16 years ago as an outpost by CP Police. Since then, it's remained largely empty to the best of my knowledge. I've certainly never witnessed anyone inside the structure in that time.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

New tender up on MERX regarding VIA's fleet. Can't access it without a password however.

Fbuty5k_d.jpg

www.merx.com/viarail

Yes, buried in all that is the 1940s International Style station. It was last used about 15 or 16 years ago as an outpost by CP Police. Since then, it's remained largely empty to the best of my knowledge. I've certainly never witnessed anyone inside the structure in that time.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

As a member of the North York Historic Preservation Committee, I raised whether this building still existed within that one, and if so, should we move to get it listed for potential future refurbishment/restoration? Good to know it is indeed still standing within the renos.

Wow, I had no idea. But there's no legal way to get anywhere close to it (not that I'm into that, but I used to short-cut all around that area not that many years ago, getting from East York to Don Mills to work when traffic was weird).

I don't think I've even seen any photos of it. That's a very different vintage than everything else I can think of in Toronto. Could be interesting from a heritage perspective!

As a member of the North York Historic Preservation Committee, I raised whether this building still existed within that one, and if so, should we move to get it listed for potential future refurbishment/restoration? Good to know it is indeed still standing within the renos.
With potential resale activity soon along that corridor if this VIA thing happens, it may be at risk. Given CP's history, it's always at risk (though perhaps they've learned this lesson now).

Anything to get it protected soon would be a good thing!

Looking through the Torotno historical photos from the city (https://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=5c51b5eccf44e410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD), it's clearly the same place as the station from 1947 to

(it as built in 1946 apparently). Can't see much in particular, 1960 (below) might be best. Might be a 2-car RDC or something next to the platform. The recladding or whatever seems to take place between 1983 and 1985 - which makes sense if service stopped in 1981. Based on some of the roof shapes, it does seem to be the same original structure - tho not 100% clear.

Interestingly, the 2010 Hatch Mott MacDonald report "Metrolinx Peterborough Rail Study Final Report" notes it was removed after 1983 - which I assume is erroneous.

upload_2017-7-19_15-19-29.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-19_15-19-29.png
    upload_2017-7-19_15-19-29.png
    254.6 KB · Views: 379

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-19_15-45-6.png
    upload_2017-7-19_15-45-6.png
    2 MB · Views: 574
Last edited:
Of course, many things on the map provoke discussion, some of us have been following this for some time, but note the CP workaround to the Mount Royal Tunnel! THAT is a major point of discussion, not as to whether it's do-able or not (it is, with caveats) but the indication that VIA has 'rolled over' on REM getting the tunnel. That's intriguing, although it may just be pragmatism...with a sweetener.

Here's a scenario:
Effectively, the 'trade-off' for VIA acceding to doing it that way was the Fed allocation to REM (which "wasn't enough" for the REM brigade, which is huge in Quebec) and VIA's silence on it, for a forthcoming offer to VIA much more to their liking. I have no proof, but rumours abound...

There is a certain amount of cottage country around Sharbot Lake. Winter may be a different story, but a stop somewhere in the middle might draw people who don't want to make a winter weather drive all the way to Ottawa or Toronto.

- Paul
And to 44 North too: Limited stops for limited local trains. These could/would also be 'tourist' and 'visitor' trains, one each way, even if partial distance, morning and evening. They'd be perfect for cyclists looking to do some of the excellent looking trails up that way (count me in, big time) and canoeists and locals. Being seasonal in nature, it might even have provincial participation, or perhaps even a Metrolinx extension to a Peterborough/Toronto local run that would be year-round. Not unlike the Niagara Train, but headed east.

Edit to Add: And whatever consortium develops this RoW would be very wise indeed to incorporate the present Trans-Canada Trail on lease on the present RoW into a "Rails With Trails" arrangement:

Here's just two Google results on the term:
America's Rails-with-Trails | Rails-to-Trails Conservancy
https://www.railstotrails.org/resource-library/resources/americas-rails-with-trails/
Sep 1, 2013 - Rails-with-trails are safe, common, and increasing in number. These are the standout findings of America's Rails-with-Trail Report, a defining ...

Rails-with-Trails: Lessons Learned - Trans Canada Trail Ontario
www.tctontario.ca/library/.../Rails%20With%20Trails%20-%20Lessons%20Learned.p...
'Rail-with-trail' (RWT) describes anys hared use path or trail located on or directly adjacent to an active railroad corridor. About 65 RWTs encompass 385km (239 ...

In fact, it would be crazy NOT to do this. It would be a real selling point, as this TCTrail trunk connects a lot of intersecting trails. This would be Win-Win-Win for all concerned, and actually *increase* the cyclists using the trail and train by magnitudes due to the "train out, train in from further down the line" advantage of the local morning and evening stopping trains. Take a train to where you want to start, ride as far as you can, and there's a train back from some point down the line in the evening.

Last edited:

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Poked around today. You are correct, didn't sense any bum or tramp activity whatsoever. Unfortunately the building has been broken into and vandalized. Looked to be drunken and moderately recent. Also in the hydro property didn't realize such an attractive building.

IMG_5267_2.JPGIMG_5257_2.JPG

And to 44 North too: Limited stops for limited local trains. These could/would also be 'tourist' and 'visitor' trains, one each way, even if partial distance, morning and evening. They'd be perfect for cyclists looking to do some of the excellent looking trails up that way (count me in, big time) and canoeists and locals. Being seasonal in nature, it might even have provincial participation, or perhaps even a Metrolinx extension to a Peterborough/Toronto local run that would be year-round. Not unlike the Niagara Train, but headed east.

This is what I'm saying. It's largely a forgotten area of the province, and so close to the GTA. It'd be nice if people could eventually take a train>bike/bus/uber/rental to places like Petroglyphs or Bon Echo. Or someone's cottage.

Attachments

• IMG_5267_2.JPG
    IMG_5267_2.JPG
    253.6 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_5257_2.JPG
    IMG_5257_2.JPG
    516.7 KB · Views: 510

Back