News   Jul 30, 2024
 173     1 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 999     3 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 519     0 

Urban Shocker's Neighbourhood Watch

I'll rush right down there and check out the sewers and let you know ...

The orchestra sounds fabulous, beautifully modulated and focussed. They shine.

Alberich looks like a cross between Gary Glitter and Ozzy Osbourne in his gold lame duds.

We've had two Wotan's so far because Pavlo Hunka is sick ( he must rest for 2 months, so won't be Don Alfonso in Cosi either ). I thought the first ( John Fanning ) was the best. Peteris Eglitis - who played Wotan in previous seasons but was replaced by Hunka - had problems with his voice fading at the end of Die Walkure, as he did in the previous productions.

Adrianne Pieczonka is a wonderful Sieglinde, getting a more enthusiastic ovation even than Susan Bullock ( the new Brunnhilde ). Bullock has a more lyric voice than the usual Brunnhilde's, but a better stage presence than Frances Ginza had in the earlier productions.

Problems with the Walkure set: both Wotan and one of the Valkyries tripped and fell.

The chairs on the sides don't swivel. They're just chairs.

The members' lounge on Ring 4 is a tiny windowless broom closet. The vile old bag who patrols it told me they're adding paintings. I said if they're as bad as the paintings in the basement of the Hummingbird Centre were, I'm cancelling my membership. I think I will anyway - a hundred bucks for a place to sit at intermissions, half a dozen nights a year? Come on.

Won't buy the $50 souvenir book either, even though I'm there, somewhere, in the mosh pit of donor listings. There were ads in it, how crass.

The Blacks swooped in five minutes before the show, on both nights. Tubby's looking a bit the worse for wear, but she's got the frozen grin and impossibly taut skin we've all come to respect - and stand clear of in case she explodes and sends shrapnel everywhere. Saw Margaret Atwood creeping up the stairs from the basement. John Ralston Purina was there but didn't see his Missus.

Huge lineup to get into the men's washroom in the basement - why don't these guys just go up to the next floors?

Sat next to some guys from a North American classical music critics association, who are having their convention in town, and they think the new hall is just dandy.

I've been off work all week. Just dropped by - to the mysterious and unknowable "hair dressing salon" where I give little design trims - to check messages and catch up on the forum. Plenty of internal emails offering free film festival tickets on a first come first served basis, that I've had to miss. I never go anyway, though I really should one of these years check out our fabulous festival.

Up this afternoon: Siegfried.

And the end of the world on Sunday.

My sense of time has changed since this thing began. When the COC did Siegfried a couple of seasons ago it seemed to go on forever - the third act was interminable. Now, seen as a whole, the staging makes sense.

Siegfried was the best so far. The orchestra has played itself in, goes from strength to strength, and clearly enjoys their new home and the challenge of this huge production. The sound of each instrument comes across clearly and separately. The audience has responded with louder and louder applause for the orchestra at each performance.

The sets in the first two acts remain the same; act three - with no furniture at all - works well. There is more "chemistry" between the new Brunnhilde and her Siegfried, and both singers were on form yesterday.

There were some boos at the end of Die Walkure ( those crazy Europeans I guess ), but only one that I heard at the end of Siegfried ( unfairly, I thought, for Peteris Eglitis as Wotan - who still sounds strained at times ).

I have decided I don't like the members' lounge. So I go to the Hal Jackman lounge instead. My D&G Velveteen Babel jacket acts as an open sesame for such places. Like the Tarnhelm, it grants me invisibility at the door and magical powers once I'm inside.

Tubby and Babs hold court in the centre of the lounge, and people eye them nervously. They station themselves next to the table of free coffee and juices; I guess they're pretty much broke by now, so they have to. Tubby beat me to the coffee once. Babs appears to have worn the same black jumpsuit to each of her three outings so far. Maybe she'll surprise us tomorrow afternoon. Tubby wore business attire for the 2 p.m. start of Siegfried. I also dress down for the afternoon performances - no tux pants, white suspenders or patent shoes. Adrienne Clarkson was also in the lounge, squeezed into a long, lumpy, frilly black gown that showed off her zaftig figure to full disadvantage. Charming women introduced themselves and shook hands, though I don't remember their names. I chatted to my neighbour Wayne Gooding of Opera Canada magazine, who likes Siegfried best of all. Then the bell rang, and we all filed back to our seats. I drink a glass of bubbly before the whole thing begins, and pre-order another for each intermission. The little sandwiches are no great shakes, but they prevent us from starving to death.

One of the black clad young women who works there told me that the city won't complete work on the University Avenue sidewalk, or open the tunnel to the TTC station, until late November.

I also heard, obviously from quite another source, that the builders of this thing want more money.

Tubby's looking a bit the worse for wear, but she's got the frozen grin and impossibly taut skin we've all come to respect - and stand clear of in case she explodes and sends shrapnel everywhere
Well, given Babs' legendary cleavage, large-scale collateral damage is a very real possibility.

fiendish:

I'm not normally drawn to such things, but I'll check out how well her infrastructure is holding up tomorrow afternoon.

And, if given the opportunity, I'll ask her - on your behalf - if she remembers whether it was the Iroquois or the Hurons who installed the pre-Simcoe era sewer system.

They changed the end of Gotterdammerung: bits of the Valhalla model are scattered across the stage, Brunnhilde sings among the ruins, the hall glows red, the crowd on stage stares up into the sky ... and a new day dawns. Still seems contrived - the technique gets in the way of the message.

Hagen stole the show again but the new Brunnhilde, and Siegfried, are wonderful too.

A thunderous standing ovation at the end, and a couple of brave Europeans ( ? ) booing. I didn't hang around for the party and speeches.

Tommasini was here for the whole cycle, so I assume the NY Times will run another review.

This time my Roy Thomson suit got me into the fancy lounge. Babs wore a puffy white bomber jacket thing with her usual flared black pants. Tubby was a symphony in tweed.

... and now I pass the Ring to my esteeemed colleague andreapalladio who will take it from here ...

( oh, and an excellent review from Tommasini - "Four Directors Give Toronto a Many-Splendored 'Ring'" - as the lead item on the front page of today's NY Times Arts section ).

The photos I've seen of Siegfried remind me of Girard's startling staging in Oedipus Rex and Symphony of Psalms.

The first two acts use the famous suspended sets that get reproduced everywhere. The third act, where Brunnhilde and Siegfried "get it on" together, takes place on a stark black stage.

Many were bored to tears with the static staging of the third act of Siegfried the first time around, but they seem to have tweaked it for the new house. There's more interaction between our hero and Brunnhilde for sure - and "chemistry" between the singers - and I think the cast in white pyjamas remain on stage a bit longer as visual elements in the background.

The reviews appear to be universally positive. Do you have any idea if the COC will reprise this production? I'm hoping that my wife and I can take it in by the time my newborn son can be left with a baby sitter.

Back