News   Jul 30, 2024
 664     2 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 463     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 568     1 

Urban Shocker's Neighbourhood Watch

I read somewhere - the Times maybe - that they are going to put it away for at least 5 years, given that the audience is limited.

Cineplex will carry live Saturday matinee broadcasts of six
operas from the Met, in high definition, starting in late December - though I don't know which local movie theatres we'll get to see them in.

They'll include the premiere of The First Emperor by Tan Dun, and Eugene Onegin with Renee Fleming and Dmitri Hvorostovsky ( Hvorostovsky wouldn't perform in the Hummingbird Centre because it was so dreadful ).

It might be nice for the COC to try something similar.

Oh I'd love to see Eugene Onegin again! Mind you... I'd rather see it live.

You will, one of these years, I'm sure. Adrianne Pieczonka and Gerald Finley performed the final scene from it at the COC gala in June.

Karen Kain is teasing me with some sort of big announcement to be made at her Meet Your Seat event on October 23...

Ross Petty as a panto dame Sugar Plum Fairy?

I understand that some of the younger members of the COC orchestra have been temporarily replaced, because they couldn't pace themselves for the arduous Ring.

Speawuw and Magwic Helmet

So to Das Rheingold last night. The gold lame dragon is silly, but the gold lame pile of gold works quite well. I didn't mind the giants so much, being carried on shoulders and standing on tables. It makes much more sense of how the giant is done in Seigfried.

The woman sitting next to me, who is from Pheonix and is seeing this as her 10th or 11th Ring, said "We're off to an excellent start" after it ended last night.

Tonight: Kill the Wabbit.

Re: Speawuw and Magwic Helmet

The girly slumber party and pillow fight also makes sense, given the Rhinemaiden's humourously slutty teasing of Siegfried in Gotterdammerung. Levine got to work backwards from the other operas, incorporating their themes in his opener.

Those pillows made me think of Andy Warhol...

Isn't the Steerage Lounge dreadful?

Gastly. Though I may stow my umbrella there tonight. No sense letting it comingle with hoi polloi umbrellas.

Adrienne Clarkson was there last night, talking to a man who bore a striking resemblance to the Late 2nd Baron Thomson of Fleet. It was certainly not John Ralston Purina.

Lord! How many times has she seen this thing? I can see Tubby and Babs cramming for their finals on the finer points of the Siegfried and Brunnhilde tragi-comedy, but the former GG?

Was the Thomson clone wearing my suit?

Hurry, dear, you'll be late ...

Hurry, girl!

Put your face on and get out the door!

It's almost six o'clock!

It doesn't start until 7. I have some letters to get out first.

Back