500     0 
News   Sep 05, 2024
 569     0 
News   Sep 05, 2024
 578     0 

Urban Shocker's Neighbourhood Watch

Re: Speawuw and Magwic Helmet

AP:

Who keeps changing the name of this thing? I thought this was our thread.

BB.

... and what did you think of Siegfried? Did you think they improved act 3?

I didn't notice any change really. Act II was still tedious and interminable. I liked the change to act III of Gotterdammerung, though.

I must admit, there were times when I hoped for a Forest Bird wire malfunction.

The free City Room concerts and talks begin today.

And it appeared on Sunday that the great sewer reconstructon might be nearly complete, given that most of the hole seems to have been filled in.

The lobby of the Bank of Canada Building is v.v. attractive when lit at night. And the swoopy part of the new Canada life building is lit in the same colours as the top of the weather beacon. The things you learn while drinking $7 sparkling wine at intermission.

Did you try the fancy lounge? The view is nice. The people are charming. And the juice and coffee are free.

I thought they could've done better with the food. Those little roll things aren't much. And let us eat cake.

The system where you tell them which Ring you're on when you order food/drinks for pick up at the intermission didn't work very well either.

I did indeed try the fancy lounge. I wonder if it will be so laxly policed during the regular season. I hope so. I thought the angel on the Boer War memorial is particularly well framed by the trees from that angle, which is one I've not seen since they tore down the old courthouse.

I also looked longingly at where the roof garden may yet be, which will be a delight.

I didn't try to make a moveable feast - I just pre-ordered my intermission bubbles on my ring before going in - otherwise, those lines at intermission would hellacious

I made a point of murmering a few solicitous words to the twentysomething at the door so he'd remember me fondly as I came and went from then on. Also, there's a second - unpoliced - entrance nearer to the Hall.

I'm surprised, though, that they didn't have a range of "upper class" comestibles just for that lounge. This silly democracy thing can be taken to extremes.

I didn't try any of it. I lunched beforehand on both Friday and Sunday.

Did you know that there are a few seats in the Orchestra ring from which the surtitles cannot be seen? My spy, who sat in one for the Ring, said they are ridiculously cheap.

Yes, they're right at the back. And I expect the sound is as gloriously clear there as everywhere else, no?

Somehow I imagined you going out for a glittering night on the town, dining at some expensive restaurant with your swank lawyer friends after the opera was done ...

If the COC can't afford a few measly canapes or pigs-in-a-blanket or petite fours the least they could do would be to intall a few of these in the Jackman lounge:

260084767_435e950845_o.jpg

Chou Chantilly: $1.75
Brésiliennes: $2.45
Chocolate Eclair: $3.35
Kirsch Puff: $1.25
Tuxedo Square: $2.25
Napoleon Square: $2.40
Orange Tartlette: $2.35
Coffee Tart: $2.25
Foie Gras on Paris Toast: $2.95
Trojans: 2 for $2.50

Please use exact change when light is on.

I'm in favour of rigorously applied minimalism in all things visual, but I think they've taken it too far with regards to the food. I believed that there was going to be a restaurant at the north east corner of the building on the main floor, but clearly I was misinformed. And the small eatery on the main floor of the City Room that was talked about hasn't materialized either.

ap: When my baritone friend and I emerged from the St.Lawrence Centre last Sunday afternoon after Opera In Concert we searched in vain for somewhere in your neighbourhood serving cake and coffee. Can you see what you can do, dear?

Yeah, that's a drawback. The best you can do is the gelatoria on Wellington, really. Either there, or Starbucks.

I don't mind the lack of food. Other than the Ring, I think it's unecessary. If the Ring audience is any indication, they are getting a lot more revenue from the bars than they ever did at the Okeefe.

Back