258     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 395     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Urban Shocker's Neighbourhood Watch

Re: Speawuw and Magwic Helmet

Huh?

Funny line in the Sapphire thread by the way - while it lasted.

ap: Parterre won't open for you? It's the best operaqueen site.

We're only as good as our last posts, wherever they be ...

Oh, now I get it. I was looking for some connection to my Doge of Venice comment above, and I couldn't find it. I'm slow today.

I responded to a Doge comment of yours a year or two ago, and the next day when I looked ... the thread was gone!

Are you going to see Glorious!, the Florence Foster Jenkins play at CanStage? I thought I might.

If that is the one about the rich woman who can't sing who books herself into Carnegie Hall, why yes, I am seeing it with a gentleman friend and a woman who is a friend of gentlemen with gentlemen friends.

Yes, that's the one. The actress who plays her can't sing either. I wonder if a real opera singer would have more fun with the role though - or might actually find it more difficult?

She's not lipsynching like what's her name did in Cooking at the Cookery a few years back, is she?

The interview I read said Nicola Cavendish has a voice coach to prepare for the part.

I love the head in today's Globe:

"When the telephone rang, Flaherty knew he had to act"

What? His agent called?

Very good reviews of The Magic Flute in today's papers. I'm looking forward to next Sunday.

And the cover photo in November's Opera, the leading U.K. magazine, is from the Toronto Ring. Editor John Allison describes the Four Seasons Centre as, "austere if elementally Canadian from the outside" and very comfortable. "Best of all, the acoustics are vibrant, alive equally to the intimate moments and huge waves of sound that Wagner provides." The production gets a great review and concludes, "How different from the comparative tat London's houses have dished up in their recent Rings! As one of those in the audience left behind, my only sadness was that I don't realistically expect to see a better Ring for a long time."

La Bayrakdarian was wonderful in the singing nun epic Les Dialogues des Carmelites yesterday at Opera In Concert at the St. Lawrence Centre. I met La interchange42 and La baritone friend there - who informed us that Bayrakdarian will be doing the full dress-up version in Chicago.

This was the debut for Opera In Concert's surtitles.

Your man Zdenek danced Mr. Death at the ballet last night. Good dancer, great hair. Not up to my man Kish, or Guillaume Cote's come-hither smile, though.

He's not my man while Guillaume still lives and breathes.

How was the Magic Flute?

interchange has a sordid tale to tell about it - and I hope he will.

I quite enjoyed it - they really played up the family-friendly parts, so it was quite fun. It was a good contrast to last years version with the Ensemble Studio. The production was beautiful - if only the Ring had had such a dragon! The Queen of the Night was somewhat lacking in vocal power though. John Sewell was a few seats away from me.

Back